DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I played the first mission available. Amusing that they give zero guidance on controls outside of “look in your menus”

Clunky is a very good word description 

I will probably play a little today to make sure my irritation is justified 

Oh side tangent - the demo being 23 gigs and taking almost a hour to download was some bullshit

I watched a demo vid from a guy that used to be in the DARPA clan and Anthem looks like it SHOULD play just like ME: Andromeda. 

It has the same jump jet combat system and there are weapons and powers and combo detonations.  The system wasn't that hard to master and I am surprised that everyone seems to use the word "clunky" to describe it.

The fact that it SHOULD play like ME:A and the combat suits are geared to look like Destiny classes just makes more angry.

• Like 1

There are definitely aspects that are evocative of Andromeda, but Andromeda wasn't as clunky as this. The controls ran fairly well and responsive. Here they are clunky as hell.

Destiny for all its falls has smooth controls that are like butter compared to this. Even The Division has better, more responsive controls. Controls in games like this are usually a make or break for me. 

Even the tank controls in their heyday, while they took getting used to were fairly smooth and responsive; at least for games that were good (IE Resident Evil 1&2, Onimusha, etc.)

New Plants vs. Zombies and Need for Speed games are coming later this year, EA said today ahead of its quarterly earnings call. No other details just yet, but boy, it sure was a rough year for the publisher. “Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations,” said CEO Andrew Wilson.

Yup - Bioware is fucked

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had a feeling that Bioware and Anthem were screwed when the Apex Legends release came out of nowhere and for free too. Just feels like a last gasp attempt by EA to blunt any damage done by what might be lower than expected sales for Anthem. I didn't get a chance to play the demo like I wanted to, but two of my friends did and they both said they'd go back to Destiny before playing Anthem again. Sounded pretty bad.

We can only hope that the rumor that the demos ran on control schemes that won't be a part of the final version holds true..

I can believe that Bioware under pressure from EA just tossed whatever they could online to serve as the demo while they use the feedback to continue tweaking the final version up until the 11th hour.

If the reviews are stellar, I will probably rent a copy from Redbox to see for myself if the game is worth buying.  if it's good, then I will wrestle with my principles to see if I can stomach giving EA / Bioware more of my money.

• Like 2

I know guys like you, Rippa, and others are Destiny die hards, but I don't know how you do it. After early adopting Destiny and Destiny 2 and loathing each of those because of what that early experience was like, there's no way I'd jump into Anthem early. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know guys like you, Rippa, and others are Destiny die hards, but I don't know how you do it. After early adopting Destiny and Destiny 2 and loathing each of those because of what that early experience was like, there's no way I'd jump into Anthem early. 

Destiny 2 is a glorified excuse for me to keep up with DVDVR homies as well as good friends I used to work with when I lived in Michigan and if I got into Anthem, it would probably be the same thing. 

I would've quit D2 a long time ago and never looked back if I had been in a serious EARN YOUR 5K PER WEEK OR WE WILL BOOT U~! kind of clan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Destiny 2 is a glorified excuse for me to keep up with DVDVR homies as well as good friends I used to work with when I lived in Michigan and if I got into Anthem, it would probably be the same thing. 

I would've quit D2 a long time ago and never looked back if I had been in a serious EARN YOUR 5K PER WEEK OR WE WILL BOOT U~! kind of clan.

Ok, that's fair enough and I get that since that's what Dota 2 is for me and Dota 2 is just an exercise in frustration and agony.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

ummmm......

My guess is that it will just be a commercial like the Halo commercials he did.

Now, the only way this could eventually come full circle is if a movie studio actually signs Blomkamp to direct an Anthem movie only to have those movie plans fall apart.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, Death From Above said:

In tribute to the Halo movie it would have to fall apart at least twice. Maybe even 3 times.

And in tribute to all his actual movies, the script would have to have a white guy who only understands minorities after being horribly grafted to the shiny murder-suit.

1 hour ago, assfax said:

I would consider that a good nintendo direct.

To follow up on this - announced

• Mario Maker 2 - Switch - June 2019
  • Link's Awakening getting remade for Switch
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses delayed to July 26, 2019
  • Dragon Quest XI - Switch - sometime this Fall
  • Final Fantasy IX hit the eShop today. VII will be sometime in March

There was other stuff but yeah

That was a good ass Direct.

That new Platinum Games joint might wind up being just as noteworthy as anything else on the video. I'm very happy about Dragon Quest XI S. I was outright boycotting the game since I reallyreallyreally wanted the 16-bit mode offered by the Japan-only 3DS version, including that changes everything for me.

Hmm...Weird. So, someone the other day had "leaked" some of the games in that Nintendo Direct, specifically Mario Maker 2. All of the games they said would be in the direct were actually in there except for Metroid Prime Trilogy. If they were right about everything else except that then I'm inclined to believe that's coming out soon.

Anyway, that was a good direct. Astral Chain looks really interesting.

We were quite happy with Nintendo Direct and seeing Link's Awakening coming back was a great surprise.  Also can't wait to get Mario Maker 2 though I know there's going to be some hellish levels awaiting me.

Anybody try that Machima demo that came out?  We downloaded it but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Looks pretty great though.