DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Blizzard is doing just fine with WOW AND Overwatch

Apples to oranges since you're talking about a company with two IPs that are now firmly established and Bioware is a company with a new IP it's trying to launch with development resources plundered from another IP.

Blizzard did not fuck it's WoW fanbase over to develop Overwatch.  

Blizzard created Overwatch, maintained WoW, and even managed to get a Diablo installment out there.

To Bioware's credit, they haven't publically cut Dragon Age's throat yet, but we'll see what happens down the road.  Funnily enough, Jade Empire 2 had its throat cut in favor of development for Dragon Age:  Origins.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 10:38 AM, Raziel said:

Eh, even with Blizzard's massive fuck up at Blizzcon with Diablo Mobile, they still support SCII and Heroes for the most part, even if the vast majoirty of their resources go toward WoW.  

Blizzard is moving on from HotS and moving people working on it to Diablo 4.

But SC2 they still support because it's still the marquee RTS esport game.

• Like 1

Also, regarding Anthem, the Giant Bombcast talked about their experience playing the demo and...it doesn't sound very good. They said the gun play feels very flat, doesn't have any impact, and isn't fun. A lot of the Bioware charm isn't there too. They mentioned one instance where you get a little of that Bioware flavor where you interact with a character, but it's totally just during a nothing moment when your ship is being repaired. The mission structure is boring and they also shed light on the flying in that it's not really flying.

It was hard for them to not make the comparisons to Destiny since it's so much like Destiny, but it's so far away from anything that was good about Destiny. Their advice was to NOT preorder this and wait to see how it's patched and improved over the next year to then see if it's worth buying because the experience at launch is probably going to be bad.

This is a fucking bummer. I had hopes it would be good because of the Bioware pedigree, but Bioware tasking themselves or being tasked with creating a game that has a style that isn't their bread and butter is bad, bad idea. Destiny at least works for a lot of people because Bungee understands how to make the action fun, whereas Bioware understands character interaction and character moments and the action isn't their strong suit, and yet they're trying to make a heavy duty action game.

I want to be revenge happy, but I am not.  

The dev talent that could've gone to make ME: Andromeda better went to make a new game which sounds like ass out of the box.

If Anthem goes down in flames, it might take the revenue that could've gone to make new ME and DA games along with it.

Poor Bioware.  I fucking hate EA.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Destiny at least works for a lot of people because Bungee understands how to make the action fun, 

I wish this was the case for Destiny when it came to PvE endgame content.  

Raids used to be challenging but fun, but Bungie has taken the Stand On This Plate For XYZ Seconds raid mechanics to an absurd degree.

If Bungie understands anything, it is that their higher end game modes frustrate the piss out of people.

They reward the players that lovingly put up with their bullshit with wonderfully overpowered items like One Thousand Voices fusion rifle from the infuriatingly convoluted Last Wish raid.

Or the Luna's Howl / Not Forgotten hand cannon given to the dedicated few that put up with the madness of Competitive Crucible.

I usually refer to this as the Black Spindle model as it was one of the first examples of Bungie testing the waters to see what kind of reward it would take to entice players to invest ridiculous amounts of time in their game.

Not just amounts of time in general, but specific time periods since it is no secret that The Whisper was time gated to get more players to game on weekends.

Analytics probably told Bungie that every player that wanted a Whisper and was able to play on the weekends already the weapon, so it's not surprising that The Whisper's time gate was removed with the last patch.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

The dev talent that could've gone to make ME: Andromeda better went to make a new game which sounds like ass out of the box.

If Anthem goes down in flames, it might take the revenue that could've gone to make new ME and DA games along with it.

Every time I see more about Anthem, I see how they completely gutted the SWTOR studio to make it, and I'm just.... AR:OSDIG PO(SFUDG) HINTEA"O LKMSP{FBIOJP{ ONESD

• Thanks 1

Just now, JLSigman said:

Every time I see more about Anthem, I see how they completely gutted the SWTOR studio to make it, and I'm just.... AR:OSDIG PO(SFUDG) HINTEA"O LKMSP{FBIOJP{ ONESD

JL gets me.

• Like 1

Just now, J.T. said:

JL gets me.

I am just further along on the stages of grief than you two

Like I am already in acceptance

I was in anger all the way back when they took a big steamy one on Andromeda

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It is taking a long time to process my venom.  It still infuriates me that the plot that should've gone into DLC was licensed to make a novel.

A FUCKING NOVEL~!

Was that at least one written by N7 obsessive (and online pal) Greg Rucka? 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Was that at least one written by N7 obsessive (and online pal) Greg Rucka? 

Rucka has done nothing Mass Effect related. He did do a comic for Dragon Age so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

If I were to make a guess, I don't think Anthem goes down in flames. If anything, it's all going to depend on the level of post-release support the game gets in terms of hot fixes, bug fixes, additional content, etc. The weird thing is that if this were being put out by a studio under Ubisoft, I wouldn't have any concerns because Ubisoft seems to be saying to everyone to continue to improve on your games after launch. I may no have played it, but I understand that the Division became a really great game post-launch and Rainbow Six: Siege is nothing short of amazing now.

With this being EA though, who knows if they direct Bioware to pull the plug sooner rather than later if Anthem is looking to be on shaky ground.

• Like 1

God help me, but I am actually considering playing the Anthem demo this weekend.

Why am I such a forgiving idiot? 

I have shit that needs doing in Destiny 2.  Why squander rare weekend game time with this Iron Man Destiny bullshit?

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

God help me, but I am actually considering playing the Anthem demo this weekend.

Why am I such a forgiving idiot? 

I have shit that needs doing in Destiny 2.  Why squander rare weekend game time with this Iron Man Destiny bullshit?

Shame.

Shaaaammmme.

SHAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!

No, but seriously, I don't care about Anthem either way.  I'm not gonna play it because it's not my style of game. Just gonna ME3 multiplayer till I die.

Played the Anthem demo a bit. No connectivity issues. A few teammates are idiots issues. What would make you think that a giant walking tank might be vulnerable to melee damage?