DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK HIDDEN GEMS

RIPPA

And the answer is...SUPERCLASH IV!

Major notes of interest:

1. Larry Zbyskzo regaining the AWA World Title from Mr. Saito.

2. Pre-Yokozuna Kokina vs pre-Berzerker John Nord.

3. A cage match between Paul Diamond/The Trooper vs Destruction Crew that I could see being a low-key sleeper of a discovery.

4. Let's see what Tully Blanchard can drag out of TOMMY JAMMER. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I like that because its AWA there are dozens of things this could be:

-is Hulk Hogan's face turn floating around out there? I just realized that I dont think I have ever seen that.

Did Hogan even have a face turn?  Back in the 24/7 days what few Hogan AWA heel appearances there were, he was already getting cheered.  I would assume once Rocky III came out, he was just a good guy.

8 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

And the answer is...SUPERCLASH IV!

Major notes of interest:

1. Larry Zbyskzo regaining the AWA World Title from Mr. Saito.

2. Pre-Yokozuna Kokina vs pre-Berzerker John Nord.

3. A cage match between Paul Diamond/The Trooper vs Destruction Crew that I could see being a low-key sleeper of a discovery.

4. Let's see what Tully Blanchard can drag out of TOMMY JAMMER. 

Ok Ok....   I know what I'll be watching tomorrow night.   Honestly,  the Hidden gems folder has been worth the ten bucks alone. 

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 10:28 PM, clintthecrippler said:

It's the best part of the show. The hard camera was by these kids and apparently close to backstage. At one point a kid sees Greg Gagne and says "Greg Gagne, you're awesome." And Greg says " Yeah, and I'm lost too."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 11/29/2001 – Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton face off as phenoms [Duration: 00:08:17]

Before they would go on to dominate the WWE landscape for nearly two decades, Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton face off in this rarely seen contest.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 01/03/2002 – Brock Lesnar before he was “The Next Big Thing” [Duration: 00:06:27]

An up-and-coming Brock Lesnar gives Rico one of the toughest challenges of his career.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 03/23/2007 – Kofi Kingston and The Miz’s early showdown [Duration: 00:08:10]

Kofi Kingston shows The Miz the definition of awesome as he battles the cocky superstar in The Miz’s hometown of Cleveland.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 12/14/2007 – A young Kofi Kingston faces an extreme opponent [Duration: 00:08:20]

Before winning multiple WWE titles, Kofi Kingston takes on former ECW Champion, Steve Corino, in this rarely seen match.

That's what you are getting this week (since obviously they are hyping SDL on FOX)

The Brock/Orton has been available before but the version on Youtube doesn't have sound

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.wwenetworknews.com/2019/10/24/exclusive-this-weeks-wwe-hidden-gems-addition-to-feature-full-great-american-bash-event-including-a-war-games-match/

A full Great American Bash tour card from July 16, 1988 is being added today with the following matches:

1. Quote

1. Bugsy McGraw & Tim Horner vs. Rip Morgan & Larry Zbyzsko
    2. The Italian Stallion vs. Ronnie Garvin.
    3. Dick Murdoch vs. Gary Royal.
    4. Rick Steiner vs. Jimmy Garvin.
    5. The Sheepherders vs. The Rock 'n' Roll Express.
    6. Al Perez (w/ Gary Hart) vs. Brad Armstrong.
    7. 2 vs. 3 Handicap: Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers vs. Jim Cornette, NWA US Tag Team Champions Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane.
    8. Scaffold Match: The Road Warriors vs. Ivan Koloff & the Russian Assassin.
    9. Sting vs. NWA TV Champion Mike Rotunda (w/ Kevin Sullivan & Rick Steiner).
    10. War Games: Lex Luger, Steve Williams, Nikita Koloff, Dusty Rhodes, & Paul Ellering vs. NWA World Champion Ric Flair, NWA US Champion Barry Windham, JJ Dillon, NWA Tag Team Champions Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard.

The video has a runtime of 02:07:42. While the WarGames match was (obviously) released as part of the WarGames DVD set, it looks like the vast majority of this hasn't had a wide release. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Jprhino84
  • Like 1

The latest hidden gems are a pair of dark matches from a Superstars of Wrestling taping that took place on Halloween Night 1989:

WWF Superstars Taping Dark Match 10/31/1989 - Rowdy and Ravishing [Duration: 00:11:48]
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper looks to show Rick Rude just how ravishing he can be when they face off in this rarely seen contest from Halloween 1989. 

WWF Superstars Taping Dark Match 10/31/1989 - A Savage Halloween [Duration: 00:14:08]
On Halloween night 1989, "Macho King" Randy Savage, accompanied by Sensational Queen Sherri, battles "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan.

I'm telling you we are blessed to have raw footage with a quality boom mic of Dick Murdoch interacting with referee Teddy Long.

Also, we were cheated that we didnt get more heel Ron Garvin paired with Gary Hart. The feigning a leg injury to hit the Hands of Stone on a jobber was amazing.

The hidden gems addition for today is another good one, offering up a near-complete card of the first event at the Omni after The Last Battle of Atlanta:

Georgia Championship Wrestling 11/06/1983 - At The Omni after The Last Battle of Atlanta [Duration: 01:33:33]

Tommy Rich battles Ted DiBiase, Buzz Sawyer clashes with Abdullah the Butcher, and more as GCW returns to the site of The Last Battle of Atlanta at the Omni Coliseum.

And here's what the video includes:

Chief Joe Lightfoot vs Brad Armstrong

National Television Championship: Jake "The Snake" Roberts (w/ Paul Ellering) vs Ron Garvin ©

The Great Kabuki (w/ Gary Hart) vs Jimmy Valiant

Abdullah the Butcher (w/ Gary Hart) vs Buzz Sawyer

National Tag Team Championship: Dusty Rhodes and Brett Sawyer vs The Road Warriors © (w/ Paul Ellering)

Ted Dibiase vs Tommy Rich

The opener (Pat Rose vs Les Thornton) is the only match missing, with everything else completely intact.

I'm really looking forward to see the crowd reaction to Buzz. He was still a heel but just about to turn. The Abby match had to be a trial balloon.

There's a promo in the first couple of minutes here from him:

Edited by Matt D

22 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm really looking forward to see the crowd reaction to Buzz. He was still a heel but just about to turn. The Abby match had to be a trial balloon.

The match is the most chaotic on the card and Sawyer is definitely positioned as the babyface.

That Midnights vs Fantastics bunkhouse match was everything that wasn't the NWA about 2 years ago.  No blood, a regular tag team match even though it was an anything goes match.  and a ref constantly getting involved which again makes no sense for that match

At first I was stunned that Ronnie Garvin right off of a major  heel turn was working the Italian Stallion in a nothing match but the match was more designed to make you hate him more.  So it worked.

This GCW show confused the hell out of me.  Barely any ring intros announced. I can't really tell you what the finishes are of the last 3 matches.  The Roadies match is listed on several sites as a double DQ, but it sure doesn't appear that way to me.  One website says that Ted DiBiase is a substitute for NWA Champ Harley Race.   The ring announcer says at the end of the show that Tommy Race is the winner, but I don't know why.  Is there a special referee during the match?  Not identified.  Can anyone tell me who are the first guys that run in during the main?  I thought one was clearly Michael Hayes, but he was not in the territory at the time, he faced Kerry Von Erich in Amarillo on this date.  Who is the guy in the white sweater with long blond hair?   Who is the guy in the brown plaid shirt with the mustache? Why does it take about 2 minutes and 10 guys running in before the ref rings the final bell??  So many questions.  Was this a good show?  Any great matches with horrible finishes?  I'm really not sure right now.  And how much was that little boy in the front row traumatized by Abby & Buzz brawling and bleeding all over the place?  (Just kidding, I think...)

Edited by paul sosnowski