DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK HIDDEN GEMS

RIPPA

52 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So it seems like not only is it hard to actually find the hidden gems section, I don't think they are even doing one this week.  If they did then they have decided to not include them in the 'Recently Added' section which makes it even worse 

I wouldnt read too much into not adding anything this week.

Outside of TV the only thing they have in Recently Added is a Ride Along and the Big Show doc

I wouldn't be surprised if they are keeping the additions to a minimum till after Takeover/Summerslam

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Did they not post the 93 Summer Slam Spectacular today? That was the news last night.

It is posted now - it wasn't posted when hammer or I made our posts

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow we are finally getting the full (or at least 2.5 hours of...) the Boogie Jam 84. We knew they had this because they released the main on the Steamboat DVD with Steamboat/Striker commentary. Hopefully this version is without that. 

The real gem looks to be a Slater vs Valentine No DQ cage match one week before Valentine started with Vince. 

Dory Funk Jr. vs. Tully Blanchard.
Ernie Ladd vs. Rufus R. Jones.
Bob Orton Jr. and Don Kernodle vs. Mark Youngblood and Wahoo McDaniel.
Angelo Mosca Sr., Angelo Mosca Jr., and Junkyard Dog vs. The Great Kabuki, Ivan Koloff, and Gary Hart.
NWA United States Heavyweight Championship: Dick Slater vs. Greg Valentine.
NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair.
Hair vs. Mask: Assassin #2 vs. Jimmy Valiant

40 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

It’s one week before Valentine started on the road with Vince, but *two months after* he started doing WWF TV tapings.

That is correct. More accurate would be that it was right before he was done with Crockett.

It's a really good cage match and people should check it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

That is correct. More accurate would be that it was right before he was done with Crockett.

It's a really good cage match and people should check it out.

Yeah - I was just marveling over the time span (not being snide nor corrective); it’s got to be pretty rare, especially when Piper and Orton vanished fairly quickly in contrast.

This is my favorite Hidden Gem. That main event was on PWI Lord Of The Rings, the greatest VHS release of the 80's. I had just started watching Crockett and Jimmy Valiant became my favorite wrestler the first show I saw, because that episode had an amazing angle that restarted the Jones feud.  

Anyway, the end of this main event was on that PWI tape and getting to see the whole match is just fucking awesome. Boogie Jam, motherfuckers!

I mean, there was other cool stuff, I guess.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

This is my favorite Hidden Gem. That main event was on PWI Lord Of The Rings, the greatest VHS release of the 80's. I had just started watching Crockett and Jimmy Valiant became my favorite wrestler the first show I saw, because that episode had an amazing angle that restarted the Jones feud.  

Anyway, the end of this main event was on that PWI tape and getting to see the whole match is just fucking awesome. Boogie Jam, motherfuckers!

I mean, there was other cool stuff, I guess.

I remember seeing advertisements for that tape in PWI. It was pretty expensive wasn't it? Something like $40 or $50? My aunt actually got me a copy a year or so after it came out because the guy who ran the video store in town had a crush on her and had all kinds of hook-ups for video tapes back then.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:18 PM, Matt D said:

Tomorrow we are finally getting the full (or at least 2.5 hours of...) the Boogie Jam 84. We knew they had this because they released the main on the Steamboat DVD with Steamboat/Striker commentary. Hopefully this version is without that. 

The real gem looks to be a Slater vs Valentine No DQ cage match one week before Valentine started with Vince. 

Dory Funk Jr. vs. Tully Blanchard.
Ernie Ladd vs. Rufus R. Jones.
Bob Orton Jr. and Don Kernodle vs. Mark Youngblood and Wahoo McDaniel.
Angelo Mosca Sr., Angelo Mosca Jr., and Junkyard Dog vs. The Great Kabuki, Ivan Koloff, and Gary Hart.
NWA United States Heavyweight Championship: Dick Slater vs. Greg Valentine.
NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair.
Hair vs. Mask: Assassin #2 vs. Jimmy Valiant

Just started watching it last night. I love the fans popping huge literally just for the bell to start the show.

How long was Dory a face in JCP? So weird seeing that and for Tully being managed by Paul Jones... and speaking of Jones, people who call him a joke manager need to see this just for the Godzilla-level heat he gets.

On the pod (or maybe after), semp and I were talking about all the mid atlantic managers. And how Jones worked there due to his history, whereas his act prob would not have worked somewhere else. 

We also had a discussion about managers who had been workers (heenan, dillon,  etc) and managers that hadnt (hart, corny, paul). 

Some people tend to shit on the Boogie Woogie Man vs Number One feud. Those people stink.   

It's The Greatest Feud  Ever, and I was there ringside at Starrcade '86 to see the finale. Manny Fernandez was in a cage hanging over ringside, like twenty feet away from us! Wahoo chopped him into it!

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's the Night of the Skywalkers, right.  I imagine people were pissed about Flair and Nikita. 

Maybe in Atlanta, but we were in Greensboro. We watched Flair/ Nikita on closed circuit and I kind of remember everyone just going "Eh." The most pissed person in our crowd was the drunk redneck who threw his chair at the ring after Tully beat Dusty. Then he was dragged away by security, fighting the whole time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to add this. After the dude threw the chair, he drunkenly was pretending to sit on an invisible chair, so as not to be caught, like a hillbilly Marcel  Marceau.. Then, security grabbed him and dragged him out kicking and screaming.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I love the Crockett gems but I would love to see some full WCW Omni shows.  I wish these were broadcasted like how WWF did MSG shows.  So many great shows out there. I like how each Thursday is like Christmas where you never know what gem will show up.

I personally say fuck the WCW Omni shows: Just keep giving me full Georgia Championship Wrestling Omni shows and I’ll be happy. MORE BUZZ SAWYER FOR THE WORLD!

• Like 1

I don't know if this new or added again, but I just watched a Stone Cold and Taker vs. HBK and Hunter Hearst Helmsley match from MSG 11/15/97 that's bonkers. It looks like it was fan shot, complete with cuts, but it's clearly someone at ringside. And it's awesome.

• Like 2