DVDVR Message Board

2019 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

That's gonna pop a rating no matter what.  I think Brownies/Pats goes in Week 9, when Hunt's suspension ends.  

(Plus if Cleveland is bad, they can just get flexed out.)

• Like 2

The other default is the Cowboys - the Sunday staple was always Giants/Cowboys but since the Giants suck the Pats is a substitute.

The only issue will be CBS/FOX being pissy they would lose that game

Denver put out an alternative to the onside kick, which the NFL ruined this year. 

The "kicking" team is given a 4th and 15 from the 35.  If they convert they keep it. Otherwise it dies where the play ends. 

That's pretty cool and innovative. 

Of course, it failed. 

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Denver put out an alternative to the onside kick, which the NFL ruined this year. 

The "kicking" team is given a 4th and 15 from the 35.  If they convert they keep it. Otherwise it dies where the play ends. 

Of course, it failed. 

I honestly think that is a great idea.  It makes more sense than the onside kick honestly.  

It is a slight twist on what the AAF is using right now (which is probably why it failed since the owners are scared of change and ideas that aren't their own)

Things that did pass

- All blindside hits

- Teams can now choose to enforce celebration penalties on the kickoff or PAT

The Chiefs meanwhile are trying to get OT to change to ensure both teams get the ball. That decision has been postponed till May

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Of course, it failed. 

I think it's a great idea too. The only drawback in my head is all balls heaved up in a prayer for a PI penalty (ie putting decisions in the hands of refs).

4 hours ago, CSC said:

Also the Pats home schedule is pretty ugly this year.  The only viable games to put in that slot would be the Steelers/Cowboys/Browns and none of those exactly scream opening game of the season excitement.  

Maybe in division? The Bills or jets might be decent next year.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Of course, it failed. 

As well it should, its one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. A on side kick is neigh well impossible to pull off. Adopt this, and it makes it WAY too easy to convert. Maybe make it from the kicking teams 5 or 10 yard line, and make it 4th and 20 or 25. It give the offense a chance at all, rather than special teams, and the penalty should be impossibly stiff.

15 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

As well it should, its one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. A on side kick is neigh well impossible to pull off. Adopt this, and it makes it WAY too easy to convert. Maybe make it from the kicking teams 5 or 10 yard line, and make it 4th and 20 or 25. It give the offense a chance at all, rather than special teams, and the penalty should be impossibly stiff.

I'd like to see the stats behind this because when I read what Dolfan posted, I figured there are way more instances of a team recovering an onside kick. In fact, a quick Google search shows that in 2017 onside kicks had a 23% success rate, 8% in 2018, and 15% overall. I would think that would be higher than converting from 4th and 15.

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh and the other new rule is now Pass Interference is reviewable! 

Forever known as the "Shut up, Saints fans" rule in my house.

Edited by CSC
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'd like to see the stats behind this because when I read what Dolfan posted, I figured there are way more instances of a team recovering an onside kick. In fact, a quick Google search shows that in 2017 onside kicks had a 23% success rate, 8% in 2018, and 15% overall. I would think that would be higher than converting from 4th and 15.

Your team has the lead, 1 minute left, and you have the choice of defending  onside kick, or Aaron Rodgers(or Brees or Brady etc.) on a 4th and 15, which one do you pick? Its the onside right?

Under the current rules - yes - because it is virtually impossible now to recover an onside kick (especially when they eliminated the ability to stack one side of the line)

(And why you can't really compare success rate since it is so different now than compared to even two years ago)

That is why teams want the rule changed

• Like 2

My issue with the onside kick is that it is pretty much the only play in the game that has nothing to do with whether or not the team is good at football.  I prefer my sports to be games of skill not trying to luck out and catch a bouncing oblong ball.  

• Like 2

Right, that's kinda what I was trying to get at. The onside kick rule is so busted now that it may as well not even be an option. THREE attempts were actually recovered last year out of 34 tries.

So if you're going to keep this as an option that's nearly impossible to pull off, but you want there to be at least something for teams to do as a last ditch chance to get the ball back, then you either need to revert to the old rules (not going to happen) or you need to try something else that's actually innovative.

By the way, the only person I would actually worry about converting on 4th and long like that is Mahomes. A quick check of who converted on 4th down the most in 2018 verifies this. 

BTW, the Patriots ranked 26th. The Packers ranked 11th.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:48 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Full schedule comes out in a couple of weeks.  First time in a while the defending champ doesn't open the season. 

So scared of how much this game will cost if I can’t get tickets when they go on sale but this is the game I’m targeting to travel to next year.

Per one report - the Cards have been offered a 2nd round pick for Josh Rosen

Arizona is going to hold out as long as possible to see if they can get a 1st

Note - specific report is being accused of using Josh Rosen's camp as the source

Me, trying to get through the week without the Dolphins (admitting to) fucking things up:

giphy.gif

Trading Quinn was expected, as he did roughly jack and shit while in Miami. All I know is, due to a bachelor party I'm going to in the fall in R*chester (long story), I may be seeing the Dolphins lose horrifically to the Bills in Rich Stadium.  

2019 sucks. 

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Greg Schiano stepping down as Pats D coordinator.

"To spend time with my faith and family."  

Oh boy... something BIG must be coming down the pike.  

• Haha 1