DVDVR Message Board

2019 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Reportedly the Falcons and Julio Jones are working on an extension that would make Jones the highest paid WR in the league.

Possible it will be more than $20 million annually

I wonder if he specifically waited until this weekend to, ah, fly under the radar with the news.

Hopefully this means Brady gets the memo and doesn't feel the need to keep playing beyond this year (and doesn't saddle us with anymore shitty pseudoscience in his retirement).

Just now, Contentious C said:

I wonder if he specifically waited until this weekend to, ah, fly under the radar with the news.

Hopefully this means Brady gets the memo and doesn't feel the need to keep playing beyond this year (and doesn't saddle us with anymore shitty pseudoscience in his retirement).

Both, I'm afraid, are unlikely.

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Both, I'm afraid, are unlikely.

I just considered that even calling his book 'pseudoscience' is giving it too much credit. Dunning-Kruger is too big tent to use.  The world needs a better term for people who think they're making clever observations but are in fact clueless... Shempiricism was the best I came up with. 

• Thanks 1

Rich Eisen tweeted that if Gronk goes into the HOF on the first ballot - he will tie Jim Brown for 2nd youngest person inducted in the Hall (35 years old).

They are only behind Gale Sayers (who was 34 when he was inducted)

On 3/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cute story... 

The funny thing about this is that Nick Foles was the Super Bowl MVP and can probably buy groceries at any store outside of Philadelphia without anyone recognizing him.  I think I'd recognize him, but I'm not 100% sure.  I'd probably look at him and say, "who's that really tall dude?"

The reason is that it is the NFL's 100th season so they are starting with the oldest rivalry

Pats will play at home on Sunday Night. Opponent not yet named

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, SirFozzie said:

odds on that we'll see him at a wrestlemania (in a performing role) before 2022?

Honestly, I'd be shocked.

WWE does apparently badly want him, but remember, Gronk has really, really bad back problems. (Remember: Landing on your back is...pretty important in pro wrestling.)

3 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Don't forget, it cost Miami a couple spots in the draft order... and it didn't turn out to matter for the Pats ?

Plus it kept Miami's streak of literal middling seasons alive - they would've been 6-10 otherwise!  What a favor from Gronk & Voldemort!

12 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, I'd be shocked.

WWE does apparently badly want him, but remember, Gronk has really, really bad back problems. (Remember: Landing on your back is...pretty important in pro wrestling.)

And Kurt Angle wrestled with a broken neck for years. I don't think they care.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

And Kurt Angle wrestled with a broken neck for years. I don't think they care.

WWE may not care just to get a big star into the fold,  but it's a world of difference.

Kurt Angle wrestles with a broken neck, he's still able to work some form of a match on it (and did until he got it fixed.)

However, every pro wrestling match is built around taking back bumps. Short of them showing him how Ric Flair took bumps after the plane crash (and even then, there's the chance even THAT doesn't help much), Gronk can't work a match.  

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The reason is that it is the NFL's 100th season so they are starting with the oldest rivalry

Pats will play at home on Sunday Night. Opponent not yet named

Also the Pats home schedule is pretty ugly this year.  The only viable games to put in that slot would be the Steelers/Cowboys/Browns and none of those exactly scream opening game of the season excitement.  

Actually the Browns game does since everyone has now declared them Super Bowl contenders.

It is better to do that game week 1 just in case that doesn't turn out to be the case

• Like 1