DVDVR Message Board

2019 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jim Bob Cooter has been fired for sounding like he came directly out of a Dukes of Hazzard episode. 

I was gonna go a Quentin Tarantino film because of his affinity for using characters named Bob and the like.

Per Mike Tomlin, Antonio Brown didn't play on week 17 because he "didn't do a good job communicating." 

I look forward to Antonio Brown catching 80 yard rainbows from Tom Brady while Mike Tomlin shakes his head.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Per Mike Tomlin, Antonio Brown didn't play on week 17 because he "didn't do a good job communicating." 

I look forward to Antonio Brown catching 80 yard rainbows from Tom Brady while Mike Tomlin shakes his head.  

All season long, that team was sniping at each other.  Do you guys remember when OBJ got paid, and the entire Giant's locker room celebrated?  Then Leveon Bell wanted to get paid and everyone started looking in his pockets...that's a terrible sign.  Ben Roethlisberger has been talking shit about his teammates all season long, and it's pretty clear to anyone watching that his skill position talent is carrying him as he's getting older.  It really feels like everyone on the team is only in it for themselves.  

2 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

So WHY are they naming a team MVP before the season is over?

And why does the MVP have less than half the touchdowns that Antonio Brown?  Antonio Brown had 7 fewer catches, but 8 more touchdowns.  I'm not saying that's enough to not show up for practice, but 7 fewer catches is an insignificant difference, 8 more touchdowns is a very significant difference.  

My guess is, it's a not-so-subtle, "We're sick of your shit AB."

And to have those stats and *STILL* have your teammates tell you to fuck off, well...  I'm sure he'll be fine in the future as a New York Jet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was going to go with a more diplomatic "because the players are going to be around their teammates week in and week out, and while stats are going to come to come into it, how a guy behaves and trains is surely going to factor in to how they vote."

But yeah, sick of his shit probably covers it, too.

These are literally the same 53 guys who rifled through Le'Veon Bell's stuff when he was deactivated for the year.   I don't think diplomacy is a big concern among the employees of the Steeler Football Club. 

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

These are literally the same 53 guys who rifled through Le'Veon Bell's stuff when he was deactivated for the year.   I don't think diplomacy is a big concern among the employees of the Steeler Football Club. 

I honestly think this is a bigger indication of the problem than Antonio Brown not coming to practice.  All of those dudes are trying to get paid, they should be on his side.  They took videos of them stealing from their teammate who is making a stand for players rights.  That is a level of dysfunction that goes above one player.  Let's not forget that Big Ben has spent the last couple of years throwing his teammates under the bus every week on the radio, and then pouts or threatens retirement when anyone calls him out for his play.  I don't even know if I can blame Tomlin for any of this, it really seems like they have a team full of assholes.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The offense cratered this year, so it's not a shock. But he did really good work for a couple years. 

They were 7th in points last year but was inconsistent and often didn't get it done when it mattered. They were 20th the year before and 18th before that, all while having absolutely no run game. 

I think "really good work" would be a major overstatement. 

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Someone with a better understanding of the cap than I: Can the Panthers move for Antonio Brown realistically? And if so, how?

No

From what I am reading - if Brown is traded, the team acquiring would have to put his whole $21 million cap hit this year.

The Panthers current free cap space... $21 million. Oh and they would still need to sign 10 more guys.

(Not to mention having anything to trade to the Steelers outside of Christian McCaffrey)

Pro Football Talk is reporting that Kliff Kingsbury might pay his (very small, apparently) buyout and resign as USC's offensive coordinator to pursue NFL opportunities.

Both the Jets and the Cardinals asked for permission to interview him, and USC said no.

It's PFT, so digest as much salt as you feel necessary, but it's still something to keep an eye on, apparently.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Helpfully tracker of all the folks linked to every HC job

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-head-coaching-search-tracker

If nothing else, Mr. Harbaugh's trade price came down significantly over the weekend...