DVDVR Message Board

UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson II (12/29/2018) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

Here's a question. Knockout of the Year. Do you go Yair Rodriguez to Sung Jung or Nunes stopping Cyborg so decisively?

Yair's no look reverse Elbow KO for uniqueness and in the last second of the fight. 

Amanda Nunes stopping Cyborg to become the third fighter to hold two UFC Championships at the same time and the third woman to do so.

Anyway, Gus started off decent but everything Jon threw was designed to disrupt Gustafsson. He battered Gustafsson's legs and body, but he did it differently than a Jose Aldo or Edson Barboza. Anytime Gus would reach or over reach, inside kick to the leg. At long range, powerful kick to the midsection.  Fake low and go high. At no point was Gus allowed to get timing down. That was so key because Gus needed that timing to take apart Teixeira. You can't land lead uppercuts if a guy is throwing kicks to every part of your body and at the same time changing stances. Those right hands where coming up short for Gus, and he didn't have an adequate response to make Jon respect him. He hit Jon with a few decent left hooks. Didn't phase Jon one bit. Once Jon got that takedown, it was all but academic. The fight everyone expected in 2013 back when folks got mad the UFC didn't have anything to hype that fight other than reach vs. reach happened tonight. It was a complete dissection.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bummed that Gus just never looked like his head or heart was in the fight

Jon took his heart in the second round. Gus had his shot 5 years ago. At no point will he beat Jon Jones.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Tonight really felt like one of those old wrestling supercards where the main event title match didn't necessarily go on last. 

It sold the most tickets (in two venues even!). Whatever sells the most tickets goes on last.

DvpIvdgUwAMZ8Ek.jpg:large

yummy. Will Nunes finally be a draw or will her future fights still draw for shit despite her fun personality and more importantly her legendary record?

A fun card topped off with a very good Jones display and an awful Gustafsson performance. Jones vs. DC is a way better fight to make than Lesnar vs either of them. He'll likely fight the winner. If Jones is moving up to face DC and has to relinquish his title, then I can see Rockhold winning it in short order because that division is so awful right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

Cat's OK.

I don't see them ever ruling toe contact on the face as a foul. A person can bend their toes on a kick and still catch you in the face with them. You can bend, manipulate, and clench your fist and fingers to avoid eyepokes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

DvpIvdgUwAMZ8Ek.jpg:large

yummy. Will Nunes finally be a draw or will her future fights still draw for shit despite her fun personality and more importantly her legendary record?

They would have to rerun the Cyborg (pending Cyborg being resigned) fight and then book her against the winner of Holm vs. Ladd.

I think she is a tough sell just like Claressa Shields is a tough sell, and Nunes is a bigger finisher than Shields. She is the same spot that Claressa Shields is in. Shields to her credit is a good trash talker, but it's meaningless if people don't care or know about the folks you're talking about. Shields is super exciting, has ok power for someone who doesn't get a bunch of stoppages, but the lack of name opponents hinders her ability to really grow her fanbase.  Shields vs. Gabriels was the best female boxing fight I've seen in years but it was on a ShoBox card. Because of style matchups, she could never have that type of fight with a Christina Hammer or Cecilia Braekhus. I think Gabriels should have been a big fight for Shields because Gabriels is a looker and she can actually fight her ass off on top of that. However, Gabriels spent most of her career in Central and South America fighting nobodies, lost a fight she should have won in embarrassing fashion, got knocked up and took some time off, came back, and then fought Shields up a weight class. That could have been been this fight tonight with Cyborg and Nunes but they wasted it on ShoBox when no one really knows Gabriels besides the few folks who remember years back Jim Lampley bringing her up casually the time Bryan Vasquez fought on a HBO PPV undercard and how attractive she was. Christina Hammer is a good fighter, but she is just gonna lose to Shields 100-90 in a pedestrian, uneventful fight. Braekhus don't want no part of Claressa Shields and she is the most accomplished female boxer ever really (Serrano is up there, but she just moves in and out weight classes randomly just to win titles). Gabriels at least knocked down Shields hard early on and made it a fun back and forth in a fight she was outsized and outgunned in. Shields has no one to fight. Until Kayla Harrison signs with UFC, all Nunes has to fight is Holm or whatever prospect comes up through the ranks.

Lesnar ain't coming to the UFC before March (March 2nd to be specific) if he comes at all.

It's Jon Jones or bust for Cormier especially now that Ngannou is booked to fight Cain. The Miocic fight didn't do enough business to justify doing a rematch without Stipe getting a win in the interim even though Stipe deserves it on the basis of being the guy to break the Heavyweight title defense curse.

Dana joked he'd kill himself if Jones fails his post-fight drug test. He also made it seem like the winner of DC/JJ will fight Lesnar and that DC should fight Stipe before retiring (he's got 3 or 4 fights in him still).

The further Lesnar goes with WWE, the less I see him getting back into the cage. 

What incentive does he have to face Jon Jones or Cormier and get the brakes beat off him that couldn't be provided in the long run in WWE and working when chooses to and not be in a rigorous training camp?

I dunno if you guys know but fighting is dangerous. Someone is trying to legit harm your wellbeing and various body parts.

• Like 1

I've never been the one to rail on Ronda (I vehemently supported her when she did that media blackout for 207), but the way Cyborg is handling this loss is like 150% better than how Rousey handled her two losses. It cannot be about the passion towards fighting because Cyborg doesn't leave the gym and trains year round. If anyone should be mad about losing after not losing for a long time, it would be Cristiane Justino. I think at the end of the day, Ronda being a notorious bad sport hurts her MMA legacy. She did wonders for the sport and female MMA (and boxing because that shit was dead outside Mexico, Argentina, and select countries in Western Europe) and I think she far deserves her credit more than Gina Carano, but she should have addressed the elephant in the room when she did that HOF speech. If that's the way you go out, at least make it memorable and acknowledge the fights with Holly and Amanda at the very least. You don't want to congratulate them, that's fine. But something positive to them does a lot for female MMA instead of just unconsciously unplugging yourself from the sport and acting like female MMA doesn't exist without you. 

• Like 7

So rhetorical question I guess, but is Nunes likely to try to defend both belts?

It feels like there will be a rematch against Cyborg, and Shevcenko (the one to have come closest to beating Nunes, and may even have shaded their last fight) is the champ at 125. Holly Holm could fight her at either class I guess, though I don't think Holm is beating her. De Randamie would most likely be at 135.

My guess is they won't overly hurry her and wait to see what emerges. I kind of like Shevcenko as the slightly boring 'TV champion'.