DVDVR Message Board

UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson II (12/29/2018) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

Millender has some real potential, but he needs to start defending takedowns just like he did the very last one Siyar attempted. He has a problem with just accepting takedowns and not offering any type of resistance going back to his LFA run. He clearly has the strength and athleticism to fend off those takedowns.  Hopefully, he shores up his takedown defence and doesn't have to worry about people going for takedowns every time he starts outworking them.

Petr Yan is an offensive marvel. I don't think anyone gives him a real fight until he fights the real talent at 135 or at least someone who can match his output.

Wise move by Silva de Andrade's corner to stop the fight. He was going to get massacred in the final round.

Silva De Andrade was taking a lot of punishment on his feet in round one. Always a bad sign when a jacked up guy who loads up on all of his punches eats a lot of body shots early. But when it went to the ground, that was just brutal.

I think the American broadcast was in commercial, but Silva's corner after round two was really fucking with the cutman trying to help him. Telling him to blow his nose, pouring water on his head while the guy's trying to drain moisture from the cut to stop the bleeding... if they hadn't stopped it, the doctors probably should have. Dude was messed up. They went to the trouble of putting his shirt on for the hand raise, than didn't show him on camera during it.

• Like 1

Toenail to the eyeball finish. Well, a headkick would be legal, but an eye gouge isn't. This could easily be called a TKO win, a DQ loss, or a no-contest. But they're calling it a TKO.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Toenail to the eyeball finish. Well, a headkick would be legal, but an eye gouge isn't. This could easily be called a TKO win, a DQ loss, or a no-contest. But they're calling it a TKO.

A kick to the face is a legal blow. No way would it be a DQ or no contest. 

The toes are not treated like fingers. Remember when James Irvin caught a knuckle in the eye from Alessio Sakara. It's the same thing and not an eyepoke. It's the same thing here.

If someone throws a legal punch to the face, but the thumbnail goes in the eye, that could be considered an accidental foul. And wins by accidental foul sometimes turn into no contests after the fact. DQ would only be if it was considered an intentional foul. Which I don't think many people have kicks accurate enough to intentionally toe the eyeball. People move their heads and shit.

I didn't get Cat's game plan. Megan Anderson ain't Jerome Le Banner. Why are you circling that hard and furious against the cage? That was even more baffling than when she fought Ronda. 

That was a pretty weird sixty seconds.

Probably was having a hard time figuring out the height difference. Which is odd in itself, because her punches seemed to be landing more consistently.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

If someone throws a legal punch to the face, but the thumbnail goes in the eye, that could be considered an accidental foul. .

Who throws a punch with their thumb extended? That's the only way I could see that happen and I don't recall that ever happening. 

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Which I don't think many people have kicks accurate enough to intentionally toe the eyeball. People move their heads and shit.

That has happened many times accidently but mostly in lower level kickboxing matches (mostly female fights), but it goes down as a TKO and always has. You need to keep fighting because the kick itself is legal. From amateur and novice fighters, I expect that. Cat Zingano has been fighting for several years now. She knows that's a legal strike. Why the hell would she stop? At the very least, wave the fight off yourself. You can't take a timeout.

A lad at my school used to throw punches with his thumb sticking out. He had to, because once he threw a punch his his thumb inside his fingers, landed on the guy's forehead and broke his thumb. Why you would continue to get in fights with a broken thumb I don't know, but y'know, teenage logic is not logical.

As far as Cat Zingano, I'll put it up to being badly hurt and in a lot of pain, the thought process being "OW THAT FUCJKKNG HURT SHIT MY FUCKING EYE!" rather than "I should just go down or tap out or something". But like you say, it was an unconventional minute of fighting.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

A lad at my school used to throw punches with his thumb sticking out. He had to, because once he threw a punch his his thumb inside his fingers, landed on the guy's forehead and broke his thumb. Why you would continue to get in fights with a broken thumb I don't know, but y'know, teenage logic is not logical.

As far as Cat Zingano, I'll put it up to being badly hurt and in a lot of pain, the thought process being "OW THAT FUCJKKNG HURT SHIT MY FUCKING EYE!" rather than "I should just go down or tap out or something". But like you say, it was an unconventional minute of fighting.

Chuck would eyepoke people but I don't ever remember him throwing a punch that connects where he simultaneously eyepoked someone. I just usually see it from parrying punches.

I remember when Anderson fought James Irvin on that thrown together Spike card ten years ago, and I originally thought Anderson eyepoked Irvin after he caught his leg. Then, I saw the replay. It was just a well placed and well timed punch right on the cheekbone.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

If someone throws a legal punch to the face, but the thumbnail goes in the eye, that could be considered an accidental foul. And wins by accidental foul sometimes turn into no contests after the fact. DQ would only be if it was considered an intentional foul. Which I don't think many people have kicks accurate enough to intentionally toe the eyeball. People move their heads and shit.

UFC 46: His next fight was on January 31, 2004, a rematch with Randy Couture for the UFC Light heavyweight Championship. Despite agonizing over his sister Priscila Belfort, who disappeared on January 9, Vitor won the fight in 49 seconds after a seam from his glove cut Couture's eye, leaving Couture with a corneal abrasion that prompted a referee stoppage thus Belfort won the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. I remembered this cause I bought this DVD paired with the famous Trigg vs. Hughes PPV UFC 52 and was like WTF when that happened. 

I think Walt could have had a better showing if he put more pressure on Arlovski in the second half of the fight. He spent too much time trying to counter. I don't think his right hook counter in close was effective as his straight left from distance.  He stunned Arlovski in the third early with that left and just left it up to chance for the judges to get it right. They made the right call ultimately, but 30-27 Arlovski is a bad scorecard.

See, I don't think anyone won that Heavyweight fight. I didn't score it a draw or anything, but Harris doesn't deserve to get a ranking on the back of that performance. Even though he just beat a ranked opponent.