DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Celtic's next manager, replacing Brodgers: Neil Lennon. He left seeking greener pastures, but he couldn't find any. And he got fired by Hearts or Hibs or someone because the players didn't like him (it was mutual. He didn't like them either).

It must be terrible, liking Scottish football. It's like the Spanish league for predictability, only without the knowledge that you're watching some of the best players in the history of the sport. Or indeed, the knowledge that you're watching players who are actually, like, any good.

Guest The Magnificent 7
50 minutes ago, AxB said:

Celtic's next manager, replacing Brodgers: Neil Lennon. He left seeking greener pastures, but he couldn't find any. And he got fired by Hearts or Hibs or someone because the players didn't like him (it was mutual. He didn't like them either).

It must be terrible, liking Scottish football. It's like the Spanish league for predictability, only without the knowledge that you're watching some of the best players in the history of the sport. Or indeed, the knowledge that you're watching players who are actually, like, any good.

Edit - Eh, fuck it. 

We like what we like and I will leave it at that. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers. @The Magnificent 7 be pissed.

The way he’s gone about it is pretty shitty as he tried to take a lot of staff like Stevie Woods when we have an important away match at Tynecastle tomorrow, but in the grand scheme of things it’s life.  Lennon lifting the 8th will not go down well in most  every quarter outside Celtic so that may just make it more the sweeter.

4 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Edit - Eh, fuck it. 

We like what we like and I will leave it at that. 

Yeah, sorry. I was just pissed off about Leeds losing to QPR. The life of a sport fan is mostly all about despair, desolation and the crushing of false hopes. People who support teams that win everything all the time get a hard time for not sharing the communal heartbreak. And when a team that used to be a loser team starts winning, they get some goodwill, but not forever. I lived in Glasgow when Lou Macari managed Celtic, and the Celtic lads got a lot of sympathy from the Partick Thistle fans then, with everything going not so great. When Rangers started coming second, that was funny to see how the mighty had fallen. But it's flipped now. The Glory to Suffering ratio is out of whack.

When Man U won the treble, most English fans were happy that an English team had done it. But then Man U's fans were such massive cunts about it for so long*, it was funny seeing them flounder (by their standards; Most fans would dream of having the success Van Gaal or Mourinho did at Man U) post-Fergie.

*nb: In the 80s, Liverpool fans were everyone's best friend, who happened to support a strong team. In the 90s, Man U fans were shitheads about everything. And a lot of them still are.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Brilliant result tonight considering the venue and the circumstances. The rest of Scottish football smelled blood in the water and a stoppage time winner is pretty damn satisfying. 

I was to St. Pauli game for the first time since 2000 last Saturday, and they even won 1-0 over Ingolstadt. Horrible game, but awesome experience. I haven't been to this Version of Millerntor Stadium, but it looks really amazing. Spoiler Tag is there because I'm too dumb to get rid of it. 

ADMIN EDIT: You're covered, brah.

Interestingly, some wrestling fans have picked up on Fulham cashiering Ranieri and using it as a warning that Khan could do that to Cody or the Bucks too. Basically saying no one is safe there if this doesn't show immediate dividends.

Sergio Ramos received a 2-game ban for him forcing a yellow card against Ajax AFTER Barcelona trashed them at the Bernabeú and knocked them out of the Copa del Rey... Fantastic!

Guest Edwin

Just got home from the OC season opener. 2-2 draw against NYCFC.

O'Conner benched OC's best 3 attackers -- Dwyer, Nani and Colman and he started one of the new signing GK Brian Rowe who was pretty terrible. Also Sane who is one of OC's best defenders didn't play.

Alex de John is a new CB and I thought he was excellent, as was another new signing Sebas Mendez from Ecuador who I thought was MOTM.

OC was pressing and controlling the game for the first 20 minutes, but NYCFC still managed to go up 2-0 before the half.

Mueller scored a lucky free kick goal in the second half and then O'Conner subbed in Dwyer, Nani and Colman who immediately turned the game around and Nani sent a through ball for Dwyer who setup Tensho for the equalizer.

There was a clear handball from an NYCFC player that should have been a PK, but of course VAR sucks and the PK wasn't awarded.

I'm happy with the boys performance today and am happy a draw was possible despite not starting the best players.

Guest Edwin

Atleti beat la Real 2-0  on the road with a brace from Morata who continues to look great. Both goals were from headers -- one from a corner kick from Lemar that Godín touched and then another from a free kick from Koke.

Rodrigo continues to prove he's one of the most underrated midfielders in the world as he's Atleti's version of Busquets, minus the controversial dives, of course. He got an incredible late sliding tackle to stop a la Real  counter attack that made me lose it.

Godín and Oblak of course looked fantastic as usual.

Koke got a red card in the second half and of course la Real began attacking and getting in the box, but Atleti dropped back and were able to park the bus and hold off the comeback.

Great game.

Pleasantly surprised to hear the dulcet tones of Jon Champion on the DC/ATL tilt. He is smooth as silk and really makes games more watchable.