DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Steven Gerrard, Gerrard, he slipped on his fucking arse, he gave it to Demba Ba, Steven Gerrard, Gerrard...

...is my ringtone.

It's not really but it'll never not be funny especially after he literally said THIS DOES NOT FUCKING SLIP after that one match. And then he slipped. 

It wouldn't be as funny if it happened to someone in the current Liverpool team because they actually all seem like swell chaps. 

Okay, it would still be funny.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sigi Schmid has died

Sigi Schmid, 65, had been hospitalized three weeks ago in need of a heart transplant.

His cause of death has yet to be disclosed.

The coach with the most wins in Major League Soccer history, Schmid led both the Columbus Crew and LA Galaxy to MLS Cup titles, plus won five U.S. Open Cups, a CONACACF Champions’ Cup with LA in 2000 and won three Supporters’ Shield titles with LA and then the Seattle Sounders.

Schmid’s family have released the following statement.

“Our family is deeply saddened by his passing and is taking this time to grieve the loss of a tremendous husband, father, leader and mentor. We also recognize how much Sigi meant to so many people across the U.S. Soccer landscape and around the world at different levels of the game. That community meant a great deal to him as well. While we mourn his loss, we appreciate privacy during this challenging time.”

A former head coach of the UCLA men’s soccer team for 19 years, Schmid also won three NCAA national championships while in charge of the Bruins and helped develop many of the finest players the American game has seen.

Apparently there was some racism from some Inter fans towards Koulibaly. Shameful. Ancelotti said they considered walking off the pitch in protest even if they forfeited the game. He said next time im happens they will take a stand and walk off the pitch even if it's called a forfeit.

He also got sent off during the game for a foul on Politano and for clapping sarcastically at the ref. Aside from that, he was unbelievable as usual. Easily one of the best defenders in the world. Rock solid game changing defender with unbelievable tackling skills, great aerial game and great at goal line clearances. He signed a contract extension with Napoli recently and said he wanted to stay as he felt like a Neapolitano and he wanted to win some trophies with the club.

If I was a manager for a big club, I'd look to throw whatever transfer budget I'd be given to try and pick him up along with Nainggolan, Insigne and Mertens.

It's crazy how Atlanta got Frank de Boer, LA Galaxy are getting Guillermo Barros Schelotto and how most clubs are all making some quality MLS level signigs and OC is still managed by a former USL coach and signing USL players.

Of the top five league tiers in England, four are led by L teams. Liverpool, Leeds, (Portsmouth, because Luton are letting the side down in League one) Lincoln and Leyton Orient in the national league. Wierd coincidence.

And my wife got me a Koulibaly jersey (and those Napoli Kappa jerseys are exceedingly tight) and a Totti retirement jersey for Christmas which I'll now were ever more proudly.

Certain people on FB are already breaking out those hilarious memes of "City fans abandoning the team." You know, the ones with Arabs chasing runaway camels. Like I said... hi-larious.

As @odessastepssaid, this is why it's ridiculous to concede the title in fucking OCTOBER. 

To add to the madness of the Inter/Napoli game -- some fans were stabbed, other knocked off minivans driving to the San Siro and another fan was run over with a car.

My God, Orlando needs to make a massive off season signing to replace Yoshi or this season maybe the worse in the clubs history and they have had some pretty horrible seasons.

No they wouldn't. They be tied with Spurs, with City a point back (assuming Spurs took maximum points and City also beat Southampton, all of which seems likely, but y'never know).

15 hours ago, Edwin said:

To add to the madness of the Inter/Napoli game -- some fans were stabbed, other knocked off minivans driving to the San Siro and another fan was run over with a car.

That fan (actually one of Inter's ultra leaders) has now died.