DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXII - 1/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I swear one year around 91ish they announced 29 guys plus a mystery guy, but then the mystery guy was just a random dude from the roster.

The 91 Rumble had a couple of issues with the lineup that may have led the WWF to announce being "one man short" …

-- Andre was announced as an entrant, then removed

-- HTM was announced as an entrant, but left the company before the Rumble

-- Bleacher Report mentioned that Buddy Rose was listed as an entrant in WWF Magazine, but he was also gone by the time the Rumble happened

Was Brian Knobbs the mystery guy? It seemed odd that Knobbs and not Jerry Sags competed in the Rumble (Sags had a dark match with Sam Houston)

• Like 1

1991 was also the first year they did the gimmick where a competitor no-showed/forfeited by missing his number (because IIRC Savage's knee still hadn't recovered from surgery) so only 29 people actually participated

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

2002 he finished 3rd accidently eliminating Austin who was suppose to finish 3rd. 

Source? This is the first I've heard of that not being planned, and I was there live. 

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

‘02 along with the returns of Boss Man and Goldust I believe. All were advertised in advance though, right?

Yes. The fourth "surprise" that year was Val Venis returning under that gimmick after his RTC run. 

I thought that sounded off somehow, but haven't watched that Rumble in years. Austin being in the final three would likely have undercut returning babyface Triple H's big win, so I don't know that another finish would have made any real sense.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, just drew said:

That’d be really funny, actually. Some heel is like “fuck no im not entering the Rumble! There’s 29 other guys! Money in the Bank only has 5! I’ll figure something else out...”

Along those lines, I don't understand why heels enter Money in the Bank, the Rumble, all those wacky four-ways to determine the #1 contender, etc..... It's pretty damn easy to get a title shot in the WWE.  If I'm a heel, I'd be thinking "Well, I can enter Money in the Bank to try to win my title shot and and take crazy bumps off ladders, fight AJ and four other top guys for a half-hour, get dropped on my head a time or three, etc.

OR.... I can show up on RAW the next night, sit on a chair in the middle of the ring, and hold up the show for three minutes until the heel gm caves to my demands and gives me a title shot - which he was probably going to do anyway to screw with the babyface champion.

Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions...."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't there a report about a month or so ago that Cena's upcoming filming schedule made it unlikely he'd be at the Rumble anyway?  This could've been the plan all along. Advertise Cena as being in the Rumble. Play that up for a few weeks. Have him lose a match to "pass the torch" to Balor. Then he is "injured" and can't make the Rumble.

Originally he was only going to work house shows and no TV appearances

But on the flip side - he supposedly also going to do something with Lars Sullivan at Rumble to help jump start Lars

So as per usual - the truth is probably somewhere in between