DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXII - 1/27/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1991 was also the first year they did the gimmick where a competitor no-showed/forfeited by missing his number (because IIRC Savage's knee still hadn't recovered from surgery) so only 29 people actually participated

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

2002 he finished 3rd accidently eliminating Austin who was suppose to finish 3rd. 

Source? This is the first I've heard of that not being planned, and I was there live. 

28 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

‘02 along with the returns of Boss Man and Goldust I believe. All were advertised in advance though, right?

Yes. The fourth "surprise" that year was Val Venis returning under that gimmick after his RTC run. 

I thought that sounded off somehow, but haven't watched that Rumble in years. Austin being in the final three would likely have undercut returning babyface Triple H's big win, so I don't know that another finish would have made any real sense.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, just drew said:

That’d be really funny, actually. Some heel is like “fuck no im not entering the Rumble! There’s 29 other guys! Money in the Bank only has 5! I’ll figure something else out...”

Along those lines, I don't understand why heels enter Money in the Bank, the Rumble, all those wacky four-ways to determine the #1 contender, etc..... It's pretty damn easy to get a title shot in the WWE.  If I'm a heel, I'd be thinking "Well, I can enter Money in the Bank to try to win my title shot and and take crazy bumps off ladders, fight AJ and four other top guys for a half-hour, get dropped on my head a time or three, etc.

OR.... I can show up on RAW the next night, sit on a chair in the middle of the ring, and hold up the show for three minutes until the heel gm caves to my demands and gives me a title shot - which he was probably going to do anyway to screw with the babyface champion.

Hmmm.  Decisions, decisions...."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't there a report about a month or so ago that Cena's upcoming filming schedule made it unlikely he'd be at the Rumble anyway?  This could've been the plan all along. Advertise Cena as being in the Rumble. Play that up for a few weeks. Have him lose a match to "pass the torch" to Balor. Then he is "injured" and can't make the Rumble.

Originally he was only going to work house shows and no TV appearances

But on the flip side - he supposedly also going to do something with Lars Sullivan at Rumble to help jump start Lars

So as per usual - the truth is probably somewhere in between

Per Meltzer - Cena was always supposed to start shooting a movie on Sunday

Now while he could delay the movie by a day - the original plan was Lars Sullivan was to injure Cena and prevent him from being in the Rumble (with the payoff match being at Mania)

Since Lars didn't end up debuting - they created a Cena injury

Just because I did it for the Women

MEN Entrants (Per WWE.com)

1. John Cena
  2. Dean Ambrose
  3. Seth Rollins
  4. Samoa Joe
  5. Drew McIntyre
  6. Kofi Kingston
  7. Big E
  8. Xavier Woods
  9. Apollo Crews
  10. Baron Corbin
  11. Elias
  12. Jinder Mahal
  13. Jeff Hardy
  14. Bobby Lashley
  15. Titus O'Neil
  16. Andrade
  17. Rey Mysterio
  18. Mustafa Ali
  19. R-Truth (#30)

Assume Cena is out so that is 18 officially "in" (and right now it is split evenly between RAW and SDL - since even if Cena is in they still call him a FA)

Men booked in another match

• Finn Balor
  • Brock Lesnar
  • AJ Styles
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Rusev
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Cesaro
  • Sheamus
  • Miz
  • Shane McMahon

Single wrestlers currently not in match (Not including known injured)

• Braun Strowman
  • Bray Wyatt
  • Curt Hawkins
  • Zach Ryder
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Mojo Rawley
  • No Way Jose
  • Randy Orton
  • Shelton Benjamin
  • Tyler Breeze

If I am guessing - of that list Braun, Orton, Breeze, Shelton and Mojo will be in. Swap in a tag team in for Breeze and Shelton maybe. (Since most reports say they are just running out Ziggler's contract, I doubt he gets to make a return in a Rumble for the 2nd year in a row)

Like the women, you are looking at a half a dozen surprises

I'm sure with the ones you mentioned, you can add Owens and Zayn. (My guess is, to mutually eliminate Lashley somewhere near the middle.) 

Plus I didn't see Goldust in your list, so add his dumb ass to this too.