DVDVR Message Board

SDL is the Oh Five Four~ - 12/18/2018

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Finn Balor has had 3 total great matches since he got hired by the WWE 4 1/2 years ago. And in 2 of those mathes (against AJ and the Joe bleeding all over the place match) he was clearly the worse guy.

He hasn't exactly been put in a position to have great matches. WWE clearly has cold feet about him since getting injured against Seth. Vince doesn't understand the Demon gimmick and whatever other nonsense. He's been stuck with Baron Corbin, Bobby Lashley, and Dolph Ziggler. The best he's gotten to work with lately has been Drew McIntyre. He'd be far better off on Smackdown.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He hasn't exactly been put in a position to have great matches. WWE clearly has cold feet about him since getting injured against Seth. Vince doesn't understand the Demon gimmick and whatever other nonsense. He's been stuck with Baron Corbin, Bobby Lashley, and Dolph Ziggler. The best he's gotten to work with lately has been Drew McIntyre.

Well Lashley is a lot better then Balor. Also he couldn't have great matches with Joe (save for one match when Joe ran with it), Breeze, Neville, and Itami in NXT.

Balor is Seth Rollins 2, including the fans who are convinced he's amazing even though he has no idea how to convey anger or... any real emotion into wrestling. But he was an indy darling who "isn't getting a strong enough push" so everyone wants him getting better matches even though his matches never really get past "pretty good" unless he's in there with someone elite.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He takes cheap shots and expresses his views in the most superior, judgmental, inflammatory way possible. Why would he not be the villain? 

To put it another way and to quote the Big Lebowski, "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole." That's basically Daniel Bryan talking about the fans and stuff, but then you add in everything else and you have the makings of a tremendous heel.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Well Lashley is a lot better then Balor. Also he couldn't have great matches with Joe (save for one match when Joe ran with it), Breeze, Neville, and Itami in NXT.

Balor is Seth Rollins 2, including the fans who are convinced he's amazing even though he has no idea how to convey anger or... any real emotion into wrestling. But he was an indy darling who "isn't getting a strong enough push" so everyone wants him getting better matches even though his matches never really get past "pretty good" unless he's in there with someone elite.

Is Balor an indy darling? I don't remember hearing anyone talk about him until he'd been in New Japan for a while. And I know "he was better in Japan" is a pretty tired talking point by now, but it happens to be true, in this case. Even before the Bullet Club stuff, he and Taguchi were a consistently great tag team, with--for what it's worth--a Tokyo Sports MOTY against the Golden Lovers. With the BC, he consistently demonstrated a much higher capacity to convey emotion than Rollins ever has--albeit "preening self-superiority" was basically the entire range of it. As a smiling babyface, he... smiles well, and is fine. Basically every demographic likes him, which is the point. Certainly he does that better than Lashley, I'd argue. (Granted, I think Lashley is awful.) As far as match quality goes: If we say, for example, that their best, most high profile common opponent is Reigns, Balor had far better results.

• Like 1

Both Finn and Seth have the ability to coast on matches that are pretty good. Not great, not bad, but pretty good. Which makes them perfect for modern WWE.

Great episode of SDL until that knee first 054. Anyone else and I'd cringe, but it's Daniel Bryan so I actually got worried. We haven't heard of anything being wrong so he must be fine but ooph.

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Finn Balor has had 3 total great matches since he got hired by the WWE 4 1/2 years ago. And in 2 of those mathes (against AJ and the Joe bleeding all over the place match) he was clearly the worse guy.

I'm curious what those three matches were.

Both of the Finn vs KO matches from NXT (Takeover 2 and Beast in the East) were really good, but overshadowed by other matches. Doesn't mean their match is suddenly not good or anything.

Seth and Finn constantly have great matches against each other. He also had an excellent match against Neville. This doesn't even include multi-person matches.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pete said:

It is BEYOND mind-blowing to think that one of those tiny dudes me and @Rev Ray saw almost 10 years ago to the day just fucking pinned the WWE champion clean as a sheet on live TV, much less the one doing a dime-a-dozen Arab heel gimmick.

Holy shit, I didn't even realize that we had seen him before.  Of course, remember when Kenny Omega was the secret surprise Low Ki foe when nobody knew who he was.

Lashley does not use the slingblade, so I'll at least listen to arguments in favor of him over Balor.

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He hasn't exactly been put in a position to have great matches. WWE clearly has cold feet about him since getting injured against Seth. Vince doesn't understand the Demon gimmick and whatever other nonsense. He's been stuck with Baron Corbin, Bobby Lashley, and Dolph Ziggler. The best he's gotten to work with lately has been Drew McIntyre. He'd be far better off on Smackdown.

I'm mean... I'd give Vince a pass on that one as I'm not really convinced Balor gets it beyond having to crawl a bit more during his entrance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1