DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Santayana - 12/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, CSC said:

I enjoyed that Steph's idea of a fair gauntlet match was to send them out in alphabetical order.  

Next week: school-yard pick 8 woman tag!

The final hour will be the entire Raw roster playing a game of Red Rover.

• Haha 1

Imagine if there was a restaurant you'd been going to for years, and you felt loyal to that restaurant, but just recently the restaurant had got really bad. So bad that not many people were even eating there anymore. Then one night you're eating there and the owner of the restaurant walks in to address his loyal patrons. And, even though you know he's solely responsible for the restaurant's downturn in quality, you greet him with cheers, almost as a hero. He says he knows the restaurant hasn't been good lately, but promises that things are going to get better starting from tonight. Then, the guy who was just promoted to head waiter a few weeks back walks in to start his shift, and you decide to vent all your dissatisfaction with the restaurant towards him, even though you know he's just a guy doing what his boss told him to do. And the restaurant owner, the guy who actually is responsible for the way things have been, is egging you on to boo his employee. Just imagine that happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Imagine if there was a restaurant you'd been going to for years, and you felt loyal to that restaurant, but just recently the restaurant had got really bad. So bad that not many people were even eating there anymore. Then one night you're eating there and the owner of the restaurant walks in to address his loyal patrons. And, even though you know he's solely responsible for the restaurant's downturn in quality, you greet him with cheers, almost as a hero. He says he knows the restaurant hasn't been good lately, but promises that things are going to get better starting from tonight. Then, the guy who was just promoted to head waiter a few weeks back walks in to start his shift, and you decide to vent all your dissatisfaction with the restaurant towards him, even though you know he's just a guy doing what his boss told him to do. And the restaurant owner, the guy who actually is responsible for the way things have been, is egging you on to boo his employee. Just imagine that happening.

Once the restaurant turns to shit, I would have been out.

A Greek restaurant in my area was really great when it opened. The original owner retired to either North or South Carolina. The restaurant turned to shit under the new ownership, so I stopped going. It changed ownership again. Under the new owner, who is half Greek/half Egyptian, the restaurant has gotten back to the original quality. They were busy as hell the last time I went on a Saturday night.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Wasn't what WWE is doing basically the Domino's ad campaign that happened a few years ago of "yeah, we know. Our pizza sucks. Now we're going to try to actually make it good " , for one?

For another, in that scenario it's kind of different, and the opening of Smackdown tonight does change it- if Baron Corbin was "the owner and all the fans boo the head writer who is basically the scapegoat for all the restaurant's problems", then Paige would be the pretty cool manager who was trying her best to keep it all together and doing pretty well with the hand she was dealt, who got told "Unfortunately, I'm taking a more hands-on approach to managing to right the ship, so I'm now the manager, and your job no longer exists...but we're going to move you to another location to keep you on."

Remember, when the "Boo Baron Corbin" stuff happened, Baron Corbin is the bad guy. In kayfabe, of course the bad guy's going to be the scapegoat for the problems with the show and the heroes trying to "save it" will use them for that scapegoat. 

So there was like ten women on the stage, and Steph said all of them deserved a title shot. And then announced an eight woman gauntlet. Do Sarah Logan and Liv Morgan Tyler Jericho not count for some reason? Or does the fact that they came out holding their stomachs mean they were 'injured' by going through tables the night before? Because Ruby want through a table too and she was good to go.

This is the first time I've watched a 3 hour RAW. It's usually on Sky Sports Action (which costs extra) but it was on Sky Sports Mix (which is included in my package) instead. Took me two and a half days to get through it. Don't know how you lads put up with it every week. Usually I just watch the one hour highlights show and that's enough. The full length version is very pedestrian. You know those Triple H legendary matches, where he has a twelve to fifteen minute match that goes thirty minutes because they spend a bunch of time laying around not doing anything? That's what RAW's like. It's a 2 hour show that somehow takes 3 hours.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

So there was like ten women on the stage, and Steph said all of them deserved a title shot. And then announced an eight woman gauntlet. Do Sarah Logan and Liv Morgan Tyler Jericho not count for some reason? Or does the fact that they came out holding their stomachs mean they were 'injured' by going through tables the night before? Because Ruby want through a table too and she was good to go.

This is the first time I've watched a 3 hour RAW. It's usually on Sky Sports Action (which costs extra) but it was on Sky Sports Mix (which is included in my package) instead. Took me two and a half days to get through it. Don't know how you lads put up with it every week. Usually I just watch the one hour highlights show and that's enough. The full length version is very pedestrian. You know those Triple H legendary matches, where he has a twelve to fifteen minute match that goes thirty minutes because they spend a bunch of time laying around not doing anything? That's what RAW's like. It's a 2 hour show that somehow takes 3 hours.

It also hangs around after for five minutes waiting on the ovation for all the hard work.

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Remember, when the "Boo Baron Corbin" stuff happened, Baron Corbin is the bad guy. In kayfabe, of course the bad guy's going to be the scapegoat for the problems with the show and the heroes trying to "save it" will use them for that scapegoat. 

Yes. But surely the majority of the crowd knows that Corbin is just a wrestler playing a role, whereas Vince is the guy who is actually booking this crap. It's like when the fans were booing Roman Reigns for being 'pushed down their throats', but whenever Vince came out he got a standing ovation and fans bowing down to him, even though he's the one doing the pushing. It's a situation unique to wrestling fans, which is why the restaurant analogy seems so ridiculous.

I did a spit take when Stephanie said the days of absentee management were over. Because the last thing I think of when I suffer through Raw is "this show needs more hands on management". The whole fucking show is about management. Who's in control? How much control do they have? How can they get more control? Who can they designate control to? Who will have control tomorrow? It's interminable.

I also liked how the first act of this fresh start was just a rehash of an angle they ran the night before. The Corbin storyline was terrible, but it had a perfectly logical and satisfying blow-off at TLC. Why then just redo that blow-off, but with less star power, the next night?

On 12/18/2018 at 11:21 PM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The customer is going to get a whole lot more than they bargained for, in that next meal.

• Like 1