DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Santayana - 12/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

My favourite part of the night was Corey saying he doesn’t follow 2Paws because he’s “a cat and cats don’t belong on social media” then goes silent before adding “Then again so is Lince Dorado”.  Then Cole goes “He’s on social media?” and Graves goes “No he’s a cat” and it just goes dead silent so you know that Cole and Graves are laughing at how stupid the exchange was and I just imagine Vince screaming “Get back to the match, Goddammit!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Did people really expect big change tonight when there’s two dead weeks coming up?

Yeesh.

On this board? Not likely

Elsewhere? Maybe. What's the general consensus on wreddit? I kinda felt bad for wreddit guy getting his balls busted for constantly bringing up wreddit. He didn't know any better. I guess that's just the humanitarian in me.

Maybe I’m looking too far into things - but between actual matches being announced for next week plus the Revival and Breeze being featured and Vince looking like he was going to cry every time he tried talking and then passed it off to someone else, it feels like at least what they’re trying  portray is that Vince is stepping away and it’s the HHH/NXT era time.  

Also ... who was the Ambrose lookalike ref?  Never seen him before.  

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

While Dean was issuing his open challenge, I was idly thinking "how does that go backstage. Kayfabe, I mean. It can't just be one person wants a title shot, right?"

Fast forward an hour...

It's whomever can cue up their music the fastest. 

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

!For real, though. I like all the NXT call ups. Surprised Dream isn't in there. Also liked that they actually set up and promoted a bunch of matches for next week. They should keep that up every week

After the callups of Absolution/the Riott Squad after Survivor Series, I think the most likely kayfabe explanation is:

Post-Wrestlemania callups are Open Season. Anyone on the NXT roster is eligible for a callup, but champions are protected and could stay in NXT.

Any mid-season callups are done with expansion draft rules- so for example with Absolution/Riott Squad's callups, in kayfabe, William Regal could say "Okay,we're protecting Nikki Cross, the Iconic Duo, and Kairi Sane." "Okay,we're drafting Sonya Deville, Liv Morgan, and Ruby Riot- and we're signing Mandy Rose and Sarah Logan before you can." 

This would make sense for the callups announced for NXT: I could buy NXT saying "Okay. Tommasso Ciampa, Shayna Baszler, The Undisputed Era, Pete Dunne, and Ricochet are all  naturally protected. We protect Johnny Gargano, Kairi Sane and Velveteen Dream." "Fine, we draft Lars Sullivan, EC3, Heavy Machinery, Nikki Cross, and Lacey Evans." 

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

We had AJ, Nak, Owens, and Sami on the same brand for a year and they went out of their way to not give people the matches they wanted. Be careful what you wish for. 

Ahh, but this is the "new era of WWE".

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Guys, we're so close to a backstage video of Vince and Otis hanging out. Vince will be like, you know what, I've now seen it all and I can finally step down. 

This is going to be Vince hanging out with Heavy Machinery.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Fair enough, but I'd say hardly it's the worst part of how Raw has been picked as of late. The McMahons are the problem.

No, but its one of the general symptoms of issues with WWE booking that hurts in terms of keeping things semi-fresh considering the depth of the roster. Also the Mcmahons aren't the problem. A Mcmahon is the problem. One of the others would rather retire and just run shit while trying to build WWE into a semi-NWA promotion. The other likes to perform, but is likely fine doing shit behind the scenes and focusing on business. The other seemingly only came back as a performer to please his father and has no real stakes/power in the company despite probably being the person who should probably be running the business side of things.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Did people really expect big change tonight when there’s two dead weeks coming up?

Yeesh.

Realistically no, but it is just a little annoying to see them sell it as something so big only to get what the usual Mcmahons taking over. Really though I expect nothing concrete, or if we do get anything it won't be until next year. For now it definitely feels like a case dialing things back a bit and keeping it simple.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I missed him so much.

Obnoxious douche Sami is wonderful thing and we so need to see him and Becky reunite when she shows up on Raw for the Ronda feud.

• Like 2

Here's one idea better than MOAR MACKMANS!

Vince: "You've been quite vocal for a while now about how dissatisfied with the product you are, so we're taking a hands off approach to Raw and Smackdown and the lunatics will be running the asylum from now on."

Everyone knows Vince has XFL, Triple H has NXT, Steph has the corporate side and Shane... does whatever he does. He could even dismissively write wrestling off as not being his focus anymore and he "doesn't care if the fans burn it all down to the ground!" Cue Seth Rollins coming out and clearing the ring to kickstart a new era. 

That way you would have: Nullified the authority figure forever, stopped chopping everyone's balls off, gone back to natural feuds like the old days, changed up half the show with one minor change, given yourself a different way to present the action, backstage stuff etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Liv Morgan could have won that gauntlet match if Ruby would have been as good of a friend as Liv was last night and let her compete instead.

I'm starting to suspect she's less a friend and more a lackey.