DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Santayana - 12/17/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Also,  besides Tyler Breeze I didn't notice any new faces or new match ups.  One of the main issues is presentation.  This shit still looks exactly the same as it did in like fucking 2003.  They need to freshen that up.  These new talents they are bringing in won't matter much if creative doesn't have plans..  

What's missing is creativity,  storytelling,  etc.  I didn't see that addressed. As long as the booking is shit,  so will everything else. 

• Like 6

Of course, more McMahon's is always the answer. Admittedly, Corbin's bad night was a lot of fun. The icing on the cake would be Curt Hawkins losing streak ending against Corbin.

I hate Lashley taking a guitar shot, and just shaking it off. These balsa wood guitar shots to the back look terrible. 

No Nia Jax was a plus as well. She's dead weight. Pun intended.

Just wait for all the poop jokes when Heavy Machinery hits the main roster. 

Same old shit as usual. The fans cheering for the McMahons being in charge of the shows again was pathetic. Umm, doesn't Smackdown already have a babyface GM in Paige? How is that going to work? 

Also, Renee Young is really bad at this commentary thing. Three-person booth is too many as it is. She really adds nothing to the dynamic at all. Even during the main event, she had almost nothing to say at all and was silent most of the time. When she did say something it was some sort of forced, canned line. I get the sense she has no idea what is going on in the ring or psychology of wrestling at all. Mike McGuirk was better on color commentary. 

How was Raw vastly different tonight?

• Like 2

I still don't get the appeal of the Revival. Redneck Hobbits. 

Thought Tyler Breeze looked good.

"Seth Rollins, mega babyface" still has no legs. His face is entirely too punchable to garner sympathy. 

Thought the gauntlet was fine. Bayley looked pretty good, I thought. I still don't understand what they aren't seeing in Ruby Riott. It's exactly the same problem as Seth Rollins but in reverse. Natalya/Ronda will be a good story, and probably won't be the PPV matchup, so that's good. 

I feel like at this point their best option is getting as many faces on tv as possible the next few weeks, seeing where reactions and ratings are, and going from there. I can tell you where they won't be; Seth Rollins.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, Renee Young is really bad at this commentary thing. Three-person booth is too many as it is. She really adds nothing to the dynamic at all. Even during the main event, she had almost nothing to say at all and was silent most of the time. When she did say something it was some sort of forced, canned line. I get the sense she has no idea what is going on in the ring or psychology of wrestling at all. Mike McGuirk was better on color commentary. 

Renee was really bad doing it in NXT and she even admitted as much.  She's the female Gene Okerlund.  She's great interviewing people, but she's awful calling the action.  It reminds me of the old Mitch Hedburg joke about wanting to be a comedian but people keep asking him to do other things because if you can do stand-up, surely you can also act or write a screenplay.  "It's like having this chef cook you a great meal, and you're like, wow, that was great, can you farm?"

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Alright, the episode itself was fine.  But I'm sure you guys are all JAZZED!!!! that the answer to low ratings is MOAR MACMAHONS. 

I got a FEVER, and the only prescription, is MORE MCMAHONS! (Also, this 'shakeup' better not affect Paige, Best GM Ever.)

We're shaking things up! Here's the same show we've aired for the last three months!!

For real, though. I like all the NXT call ups. Surprised Dream isn't in there. Also liked that they actually set up and promoted a bunch of matches for next week. They should keep that up every week

• Like 2

Shane O Mac running both shows! Everything after the initial opening was business as usual. And no more mandatory rematch clauses.

The women getting the entire third hour was cool and glad to see Natalya pull off the win coming off last night's great match with Ruby. Initially thought the winner would face Ronda tonight since Ronda talked about champions defending the night after PPVs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Renee was really bad doing it in NXT and she even admitted as much.  She's the female Gene Okerlund.  She's great interviewing people, but she's awful calling the action.  It reminds me of the old Mitch Hedburg joke about wanting to be a comedian but people keep asking him to do other things because if you can do stand-up, surely you can also act or write a screenplay.  "It's like having this chef cook you a great meal, and you're like, wow, that was great, can you farm?"

God bless Mitch Hedberg. Fuck heroin, fuck cocaine, and fuck speedballs.

I don't think Renee is bad at all, but she's being dragged down being tied into Ambrose/Rollins. I feel she's going to turn heel, but she'll still be completely justified not wanting these nosy motherfuckers in her business. I said it last night, but I think she sounds very uncomfortable having her marriage brought up on air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Shane O Mac running both shows! Everything after the initial opening was business as usual. And no more mandatory rematch clauses.

The women getting the entire third hour was cool and glad to see Natalya pull off the win coming off last night's great match with Ruby. Initially thought the winner would face Ronda tonight since Ronda talked about champions defending the night after PPVs.

Mandatory rematch clauses have never been a hard and fast rule. It was like the DQ title change rule in TNA. It was only enforced and used when they wanted it to be. 

I skipped around a lot of the opening. I didn't really feel the need to watch the Mcmahons apologize for bad shows and fix them by revealing they would be on said shows more. I actually like the McMahons but more in small doses. I get the why of it, but I still don't understand how they ended up ratings boosters.

Corbin getting punked out was fun.

I like them teasing coming wrestlers to the main roster. All of the choices make sense and should be interesting wherever they end up if they have anything resembling a plan with them.

Nice to see Sami is coming back finally.

I like rematch clauses dying. The 4-way tag was fun, and I'm glad Revival won.

The women getting the last hour was nice though it also revealed how dire the division is. Outside of Ronda only Bayley and Sasha have any momentum, and the the latter two are dying with no tag titles to make sense of their current situation. The match itself was decent enough for the Bayley/Sasha's portions and Ember/Mickie. This wasn't really much though compared to the gauntlet match they ran with Nia last year. I honestly thought we would get Sasha or Bayley winning to further Ronda's feud with Charlotte & Becky, but I suppose they are waiting for those matches. Ronda vs. Nattie could be interesting.

Honestly thought last week's show was better though this was probably better in terms of the direction after the opening.

17 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Mandatory rematch clauses have never been a hard and fast rule. It was like the DQ title change rule in TNA. It was only enforced and used when they wanted it to be.  

Not remotely true. They have been enforced hard for years now in WWE. Its one the reasons we have too many damn rematches.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Not remotely true. They have been enforced hard for years now in WWE. Its one the reasons we have too many damn rematches.

Fair enough, but I'd say hardly it's the worst part of how Raw has been picked as of late. The McMahons are the problem.