DVDVR Message Board

The Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos

Execproducer

26 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Unless there is a Christmas Miracle courtesy of CSC, there is still one review that hasn't been posted yet.

And maybe one more bonus review, depending on how tired I am.

I just may not be online much in the next few days, so I wanted to spread my joy all over you guys.

Film: White Christmas
Chosen by: Raziel

" I'm submitting White Christmas (1954, Curtiz).  It runs the double whammy of being both my favorite Christmas Movie, but also a movie I watched a ton with my father growing up and a big tradition for me.  Also, movies from that era deserve to not be lost, even though I think most of the people participating most likely have watched this."

Reviewed by: Brian Fowler

White Christmas

Michael Curtiz

I don't know what the first "we need to raise money to save this building/business. LET'S PUT ON A SHOW!" movie was. It's a either an old, reliable trope or a worn and tired cliche, depending largely on your point of view.

But I do know that in 1954 we got a version that paired one of the greatest singing voices ever recorded with one of cinemas's most accomplished directors.

This isn't a movie likely to surprise you at any turn. Indeed, from the moment the conflict arrives, you could probably pretty accurately write the rest of the movie yourself.

But it's charming. It's well made. It's heartwarming. And Bing Crosby wings repeatedly.

It's structured almost episodically, with one small issue after another, but the solution seems to always involve performing. Go figure.

It's a staple of the holiday season for a reason. Because it's easy to watch, genially enjoyable, and heartwarming. It'll be on TV every year until the heat death of the universe. If you haven't seen it, grab a mug of hot chocolate and spin it around. It won't change your life, but you'll enjoy the two hours.

• Like 2

That was the last review. @CSC if you want to post yours here later, feel free.

CSC sent White Christmas as his pick. Raziel had already taken it, so he had to switch. When I threw everything in the randomizer, CSC drew White Christmas. Even though it wasn't his official pick, I didn't want to stick him with it, figuring that might lessen his motivation to send a review. ;) So instead of redoing the randomizer and creating a different issue, I threw everybody except CSC and Raziel into a hat. So, it's funny that Brian should end up with White Christmas since his pick was Black Christmas. And since I knew that I was going to close the show with it as soon as Raziel sent it, it is serendipity that Brian, who suggested the theme, should be the final word.

Merry Christmas everybody. As I said in the pre-thread, someone else can do Valentines Day or Black History Month, whichever way it goes, though I'll still play.

• Like 2

Scrooged is my favorite Xmas movie and I debated picking it but I also figured that for most of the folks participating they would have seen it and might be disappointed (with the pick not the movie itself)

See, I think it is better to pick something you want to be seen and not worry if someone already has. Everyone has blind spots. And lets say you get Scrooged and you've seen it 2 or 3 times, but it's been ten years since the last time.  You re-watch it and pick up on things that ten years younger you missed and end up writing a helluva review. It's the element of chance, whether you get something new or old, good or bad, or you send something that's going to be appreciated or not, that makes this worthwhile.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, Execproducer said:

There’s always next year.

Yeah, I was kinda hoping that we didn't all make gigantic picks all in one sitting so that there would be nothing else to pick next year and continue the new tradition.

• Like 1

• RIPPA unpinned and unfeatured this topic
18 hours ago, Contentious C said:

What I want to know is, what did CSC draw and then fail to review?

"Lovely, Still", which was my pick.  I got his movie and he got mine.

It actually did make me cry ("it" = the movie, not the fact that he didn't review it).