DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

My first intro to Bill was (ugh) a Hootie & the Blowfish cover of "Use Me.”

This reminded me that my intro to him was hearing the DMX sampled Ain’t No Sunshine track in the trailer for the Steven Seagal movie Exit Wounds.

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Folk singer John Prine has died due to complications due to Covid-19.   He was 83.

I don't have many heroes, particularly not from the entertainment industry, where phoniness is the order of the day; but John Prine has always been one of my heroes. While this wasn't unexpected (a 73 year-old cancer survivor doesn't have very good odds facing this disease); it still hurts like hell. Prine was the guy that everyone thought Bob Dylan was...  Godspeed, Mr. Prine and thanks for all the music! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Pretty sure Little Richard deserves his own thread, dude was a fucking force of nature.

if judged on weight of influence, he needs his own subforum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:45 AM, christopher.annino said:

Pretty sure Little Richard deserves his own thread, dude was a fucking force of nature.

Yes, he was.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.wweek.com/music/2020/05/21/poison-idea-drummer-steven-hanford-has-died/

RIP Steve Hanford, aka Slayer Hippy, drummer for Poison Idea, Resist, etc. I saw him on the tour with The Skull that they mention and had no idea it was him behind the kit. 

Goddamn was Feel the Darkness an incredible album, and his chops on it were supreme.

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 5/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

if judged on weight of influence, he needs his own subforum.

Old news, I know, but there are very few people I wouldn't argue over Florian Schneider in this respect.

Little Richard was more important to music than Florian Schneider? Yeah, OK. That's really, really saying something. RIP to both.

• 2 weeks later...