DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, Curt McGirt said:

RIP Timi "Grabber" Hansen, bassist for Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. He lost a long battle with cancer.

Listen to him rip it up here:

Read about his passing yesterday.

Sad news, indeed.

What a legacy he leaves, the first two Mercyful Fate and King Diamond albums are iconic (absolutely no slight to In The Shadows!) and will be remembered in metal history forever.

R.I.P.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy shit, Juice Wrld died. Dude was only 21. I wasn't the biggest fan of his music, but liked that he was a Chicago area rapper. I also JUST watched his episode of Hot Ones a couple days ago. Weird. RIP.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed this one but fucking Reed Mullin from Corrosion of Conformity passed away four days ago. Fuck. 

RIP

EDIT: Also Josh Pappe from DRI and Vinnie Value from Warzone/No Redeeming Social Value. Not sure if I'm leaving anyone out. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Part of the reason I love post-punk so much is because some of those bands were so ahead of everything that it felt like they had every great rock idea possible, and then everyone just gave up trying to top it. Gang of Four was definitely one of those bands, and Andy Gill's playing is a HUGE part of that. His guitar sounded like glass shattering and it was the perfect compliment for That Rhythm Section. They damn near stole the entirety of Urgh! A Music War with this performance of "He'd Send In The Army." One of my friends said he played guitar here the same way that the first Godzilla feels. RIP.

• Like 1

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/paul-english-willie-nelson-drummer-dead-obit-951669/?fbclid=IwAR3BQ6zvGzxOih68bOa58XBRDZMicvj232DhxpMYG2sAJV_a84g7HxNJgkI

RIP Paul English

https://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/item/463-watching-willie-s-back

Holy shit this guy was a wild one. Here's an excerpt from that story: 

Spoiler

Paul Jr.’s favorite piece remains discreetly out of view at home. “It’s a big .45 that looks like one of those guns they confiscate from Mexican drug lords,” he said. “It’s silver with a gold trigger and engraved with filigree depicting my dad having an orgy with several women down the left side of the barrel; on the other side, he’s eating some girl’s pussy out. If I’m pointing it at you, right over the barrel, it says, ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

jfc.  20.  

I don't even know who these new rappers are before they die, and that's so fucking sad to me.  Seriously, I remember how many prominent rappers died when I was in my teens-early 20s, but I mistakenly thought we were past this type of shit.  It just feels wrong when so many people that young with the talent to make it out of their situations die so damn often.  

• Sad 1

Cyjan, drummer of Polish goregrinders Dead Infection, died yesterday. I know maybe the only grind bands anyone on here like are probably Napalm Death or Carcass, but in the Carcass worship territory of goregrind Dead Infection did their own thing with it, including a strong dose of death metal (heh, kinda like Carcass) until the following album, which is more straight grind and is just a monster. It also has the most morbid and honestly depressing lyrics I've ever read, as each is like a mini-story about a fatal occurrence in everyday life -- kind of Final Destination in verse form. Cyjan's drumming is fucking incredible, and fast isn't the word. RIP

I did you a solid and just put up the censored cover -- be forewarned that the actual one is real gore, and real gross.