DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I cannot believe for one second that Courtney Love is competent enough to arrange a staged suicide murder, and successfully cover it up over two decades.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I cannot believe for one second that Courtney Love is competent enough to arrange a staged suicide murder, and successfully cover it up over two decades.

Honestly, this ties to why I believe Kurt Cobain wasn't killed by Courtney Love:

Because Billy Corgan hasn't said anything yet.

A large part of the "Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain" rumor stemmed around all of that: Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana were rival bands, Corgan used to date Love and may have been carrying on an affair with her, and other related things that made it clear: Either Billy Corgan was directly involved with a Courtney Love murder of Kurt Cobain, or at the very least, Corgan ABSOLUTELY KNOWS Courtney Love did it. 

Meanwhile, in the past 25 years, Corgan and Love had a very, very, very public falling out, and since then, Billy Corgan has become a regular in the conspiracy theory circuits.

So, you have someone who would absolutely know for a fact Courtney Love murdered Kurt Cobain, who despises Courtney Love as a person, and who could expose Courtney Love publicly while being able to walk it back to "it's just a conspiracy theory"...and yet, he's silent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

She basically played a version of herself.

It's not like that is her only acting credit. She is also very good in Man in the Moon and Julie Johnson, just to name two. To sum it up, she is a deeply flawed but very talented woman who seems to have largely made it through to the other side of the type of self-destructive tendencies that took down so many of her peers, including her husband.  Assuming that a high profile death like Cobain's would have gotten more than a cursory look by law enforcement and people generally seem incapable of keeping their mouths shut,  it seems highly unlikely that she was involved in his death. Given that so many people seem to wish it so, probably says more about them rather than her. 

And Live Through This is a better album than anything Nirvana did. And I like Nirvana. 

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

And Live Through This is a better album than anything Nirvana did. And I like Nirvana. 

The urban legend that persists that Kurt ghostwrote this album is criminal bullshit. It's the best thing Courtney was ever involved in and she deserves the credit. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127.

He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He’s interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, "Oh behave yourselves. Thank you…. and good evening everybody.”

RIP Leon. He died the way he lived: mindscrewing everyone with a twinkle in his eye.

The world just became a bit sadder of a place. Godspeed, Leon and thanks for all the music and for turning me on to Myers Rum back in the day.

6 minutes ago, colonial said:

It wasn't the holiday season without this cover on the radio  .... RIP Leon ...

Fuck, it's getting dusty in here.

As I've said about the late, great Warren Zevon; I'll apply the same to Leon Redbone: matters not how you discovered him, merely that you did.

• Like 1

The first time I ever heard him was Entombed's cover of "Night of the Vampire". 

Entombed has always had a hell of a taste in covers, btw

EDIT: Here's a little bonus -- them playing it live with Messiah fucking Marcolin

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Sad to report that Dr. John has passed, joining Leon Redbone for a gig at the pearly gates. The world has just become a bit less funky and cool, Mac Rebbenack was New Orleans. We will not see his like again anytime soon. I count myself fortunate that I was able to see him tickle the ivories live many years ago at a small club. He was in town to play a big show and just happened to stop in a joint called Jazz Alley and did an impromptu set of half a dozen tunes and left. The forty or fifty of us in the club were just blown away.

• Like 2