DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

RIP Keith. Prodigy were a regular on the UK music festival circuit in the 00s so had the pleasure of seeing them live a few times, never a bad show. 

Also, one of the few bands who brought the ravers and the metal heads together (FWIW I fit very much in the second camp)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just listened to "Breathe" and shit, haven't heard that since it came out, and when it came out I must've heard it a million times (as the Nice Guy Eddie not on this board once said), including one memorable live MTV performance at an outdoor fest with a crazy falsetto shriek on the "I'm insane" part (at least that's what I always thought he was yelling). I almost picked up Fat of the Land as a kid but didn't; guess it was the burgeoning musical elitist in me coming out which is fairly well buried these days. 

RIP

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Fat of the Land is an awesome album. I love bands that blend electronic and metal (NIN, Ministry, Rammstein, KMFDM, Static-X, Fear Factory, Marilyn Manson until about 1998).

As @Custos said, The Prodigy showed that ravers and metalheads could co-exist.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just listened to "Breathe" and shit, haven't heard that since it came out, and when it came out I must've heard it a million times (as the Nice Guy Eddie not on this board once said), including one memorable live MTV performance at an outdoor fest with a crazy falsetto shriek on the "I'm insane" part (at least that's what I always thought he was yelling). I almost picked up Fat of the Land as a kid but didn't; guess it was the burgeoning musical elitist in me coming out which is fairly well buried these days. 

RIP

Were they playing "Breathe" on K-Billy's Supersounds of the 90's?

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just listened to "Breathe" and shit, haven't heard that since it came out, and when it came out I must've heard it a million trillion fuckin'  times (as the Nice Guy Eddie not on this board once said)

FTFY

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, for some reason Reservoir Dogs was actually going through my head at work tonight yet I could not remember that exact fucking quote

You were pretty close.

When I was coming down here, I was playin it. And "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" came on. Now I ain't heard that song since it was big, but when it was big, I heard it a million- trillion times. I'm listening to it this morning, and this was the first time I ever realized that the lady singing the song, was the one who killed Andy.

Really? Not "million trillion fuckin' times"? I've seen that film at least 30 times and it's always that way in my head. Guess I'll have to watch again.

No, just checked, I was right. 

Edited by Execproducer

I actually questioned myself as to whether the film was based in Chicago instead of LA tonight based entirely on Chris Penn's accent before I remembered "this piece of shit is working for the LAPD" so clearly we all can have our moments of self-doubt. 

Speaking of people we all will miss...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Really? Not "million trillion fuckin' times"? I've seen that film at least 30 times and it's always that way in my head. Guess I'll have to watch again.

No, just checked, I was right. 

I always heard a million trillion fucking times as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread for any big Prodigy fans.

Oh, for fuck's sake, you two

That song is making me download the record, btw

EDIT: You want to feel bad? Wait around until a major member of a band dies before you sit down and finally listen to their stuff

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:32 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Keith Flint, lead singer of The Prodigy is reportedly dead at 49

RIP.

I have gotten so many speeding tickets to this song that it isn't funny.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just listened to "Breathe" and shit, haven't heard that since it came out, and when it came out I must've heard it a million times (as the Nice Guy Eddie not on this board once said), including one memorable live MTV performance at an outdoor fest with a crazy falsetto shriek on the "I'm insane" part (at least that's what I always thought he was yelling).

Same here.  As much as I loved "Firestarter" I liked "Breathe" that much more.  And I want to say that MTV performance was from one of the spring break shows though I can't verify at this time.  But it was pretty wild.  And count me as one of those who didn't get their albums.  Not because I didn't like them but it just wasn't something I aimed to get at the time.  I should fix that but like you will likely feel bad listening to it.

One must love Breathe if only because it samples Wu Tang Clan's Da Mystery of Chessboxin'

which further sampled the dialogue and sound effects from Shaolin Vs. Wu Tang (1981)

The swooshy sword sound effects for Breathe and Chessboxin' come from the intro to the movie.

Edited by J.T.

Holy shit, Curt.  I am stunned by your lack of Prodigy knowledge.  The Prodigy remix of Method Man's Release Your Delf is like a million times better than the original.

I have gottan many many speeding tickets while listening to this song as well.

Hal Blaine, drummer of the legendary Wrecking Crew, has passed. If you are into classic pop music or the Beach Boys or studio musicians or music history in general, I cannot recommend enough the feature-length documentary about The Wrecking Crew on Netflix.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Pulp Fiction wouldn't have been the same without "Misirlou".

Nor would my favorite Black Eyed Peas song.

RIP to Dick Dale; music pioneer.

• Like 1