DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...

Trugoy's death hits hard. He's only a couple years older than me. I wore out my cassette of 3 Feet High and Rising years ago, at least still have it on CD. I still remember staying with my Dad and stepmom in Queens, and seeing the Potholes in my Lawn video on U-68 and being shook at this new style of hip-hop. I only got to see them once, on an anniversary tour for 3 Feet High, an album they came to hate along with the "hip-hop hippies" association. They were still great, even if they changed one of the lines in "Me, Myself, and I" to "I really hate this fucking song".

The fact that they finally got control of their back catalog and their early classics were going to be re-released and on streaming services for a new generation makes this even worse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

(edited when a friend posted an English article) Ryuichi Sakamoto died from cancer last week (it's just being announced). He's done INCREDIBLE work over the decades, marrying traditional Japanese sounds with electronic glitchy beats.

WHAT.....nooooo.

One time I actually received mail addressed to Ryuichi Sakamoto. I didn't open it and took it back to the post office. I later found his email address online and sent him a nice email explaining the situation (although I did feel bad that I received it in the first place).

While most of the world (rightly) recognizes Sakamoto for his pioneering work with YMO and others on the electronic front and for his compositions like the work he did for the movies Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and the Last Emperor, he also did a lot of other stuff that never went out of Japan. Witness one of his two Oricon Number 1 hits, a collaboration with the lead singer of RC Succession Kiyoshiro Imawano written specifically to be used in a Shiseido ad campaign.

• Like 1

When you see those clickbait articles that say something like "THE TRAGIC DETAILS BEHIND COOLIO'S DEATH REVEALED!!!!"...

It was a mix of fentanyl, meth, and heroin. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...