DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Gangsta Boo was found dead a few hours ago 😭

RIP

Maybe it's me being wildly nostalgic in light of someone's passing (also I am from the Mississippi Delta area which includes Memphis), but I feel that era of emerging female rappers like Gangsta Boo, Mia X, La Chat, Missy Elliott, Chyna Whyte, Lil Kim when she cared, and Lauryn Hill deserves their flowers when they definitely didn't get their credit back then. I guess some of that thought is probably you had a ton of variety back then as compared to now when it's either a rap/pop hybrid song or partly uncreative, over the top X-rated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

RIP

Maybe it's me being wildly nostalgic in light of someone's passing (also I am from the Mississippi Delta area which includes Memphis), but I feel that era of emerging female rappers like Gangsta Boo, Mia X, La Chat, Missy Elliott, Chyna Whyte, Lil Kim when she cared, and Lauryn Hill deserves their flowers when they definitely didn't get their credit back then. I guess some of that thought is probably you had a ton of variety back then as compared to now when it's either a rap/pop hybrid song or partly uncreative, over the top X-rated.

I feel like both Gangsta Boo and Mia X should be counted as legitimate contenders in the greatest female rapper discussion.  I might be mistaken, but they have to be the first two women who were the absolute lyrical powerhouses in their respective rap crews.  Between "Tear the Club Up" and "Bout it Bout it," they both bodied the nationwide introduction to Hypnotize Minds and No Limit respectively.  I know Lil Kim dropped before them, but she was standing next to Biggie Smalls.  She was by far the biggest star from Junior Mafia, but all of their biggest hits as a crew had Biggie in the drivers seat.  Gangsta Boo and Mia X had to do the heavy lifting as rappers in their crews.  Mia X was the best rapper at No Limit until they signed Mystikal and Snoop.  Gangsta Boo was the best rapper in Three Six Mafia until the day she left.  My favorite thing about Gangsta Boo is how she was unapologetically ghetto fabulous.  Her entire presentation was to be the best dressed person at her neighborhood spot in Memphis.  She wasn't trying to look like she was a Hollywood sweetheart, that wasn't who she was or what she was trying to be.  She was the Queen of Memphis and that's how she presented herself.  We lost an absolute legend, long live the Queen.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

BTO is one of the least heralded of what I call the "old yeller" bands. Basically, think of Grand Funk and you got an old yeller band: basic, heavy '70s rock that's too pop for heavy metal but just heavy enough, and they got a yeller of a singer. I guess Mountain would fit into this, maybe even Nazareth (jeez, how many dead people yet?), early ZZ Top would even fit in there but they were too bluesy. The cool thing is I'm sure they played gigs like on the Simpsons clip for years like Blue Oyster Cult (who is most definitely not an old yeller band) but that royalty check from "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" among others was always right around the corner for the members. 

RIP. I'm gonna bust out my Best of BTO on vinyl right now. 

Kansas I would fit more into a "lite prog/hard rock" category like Jethro Tull; Rush after the first album too, though Rush were WAY more metal than anybody. You had to have a certain amount of grit to be an old yeller band. Proto-metal like Bang and Dust kind of fall into the category IMO. Blue Cheer were probably the first of all of them, though they had no hits besides "Summertime Blues". 

The Eagles were always a country band thrown into the rock pile, just like the Dead. Meanwhile, Skynyrd were thrown in the "country rock" pile but I swear they're more of a metal band. Bad Company and Foreigner could even be called old yeller bands. 

I have a stack of vinyl that's stuff I never listen to and my mom's records. BTO, however, was the one I stuck right up front to get to later. 

• Like 1

Yeah, as I’m eating lunch, Juke Box Hero just came on, so I thought “oh yeah, Foreigner.” 

not surprising how many of these bands ended up giving us 1980s wrestling entrance songs, given the ages of the people involved. 

Which made me just think of a Bob Seger. 

Edited by odessasteps