DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

I saw the "reformed" DKs for about five minutes before I walked out due to the Jello impersonator they'd hired. I really regret that now. Darren increasing the speed and complexity of the drumming on those records caused a seismic shift in punk rock and heavy metal music. Imagine if he stuck around in RHCP and we'd never had gotten Chad Smith! 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I saw the "reformed" DKs for about five minutes before I walked out due to the Jello impersonator they'd hired. I really regret that now. Darren increasing the speed and complexity of the drumming on those records caused a seismic shift in punk rock and heavy metal music. Imagine if he stuck around in RHCP and we'd never had gotten Chad Smith! 

Chad Smith would continue his job on Saturday Night Live and would probably star in Anchorman 3.

• Haha 3

On 10/29/2022 at 10:58 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Is it the recent line-up, with the singer of the 90s pop-punk band The Winona Ryders?

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Yeah, I know this is the RIP thread but I have a hard time separating the artist from the art with him these days.

I didn't know that about Jerry Lee Lewis. I don't listen much to music so I don't usually visit this section. I'm same as you now when it comes to JLL. Goes for Chris Benoit as well. My username here was The Crippler as I was a big fan of his. I won a signed photo and framed it on my wall. When the news came out in June 2007 of the double-murder suicide, the photo was taken down and put into a folder. I voluntarily changed my name to The Natural. The only Benoit things I've seen since the double-murder suicide is the Vice Dark Side of the Ring and Cultaholic documentaries. 

I did see Jerry Lee Lewis live a few years ago. Regarding the scandal, I've always felt that its a case where the past is a foreign land where they do things different. I'm glad things have changed but back in the 50's and beyond it was pretty common to get married extremely young 

Rapper Takeoff was shot to death at a dice game in Houston early this morning.  His uncle Quavo was also reportedly present.  Man was only 28, what a fucking world.

There are apparently crime scene photos and videos out there so be careful with your searches.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

I did see Jerry Lee Lewis live a few years ago. Regarding the scandal, I've always felt that its a case where the past is a foreign land where they do things different. I'm glad things have changed but back in the 50's and beyond it was pretty common to get married extremely young 

22 marrying 13...

On 11/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, Mister TV said:

Not only was she 13, she was his first cousin and he was still married to someone else.

The board deleted a day of posts, but I'll reiterate, folks should read up on the rest of his marriage history. Dude was kind of a monster. Multiple wives dying under shady circumstances, accounts of brutality and abuse, etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another one who belongs both in Musicians RIP and Movies & TV: Wilko Johnson, guitarist in Dr Feelgood. Also played Ser Ilyn Payne in Game of Thrones.

Wilko Johnson dead aged 75 | Rock News - Planet Rock

May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 1