DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

52 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

without knowing it at the time, i'm pretty sure I was hearing Taylor Hawkins a lot during the period of time in the 90s when the Jagged Little Pill album was played often in my mom's car

Iirc he didnt play on the studio recording. He played on the tour.

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

Iirc he didnt play on the studio recording. He played on the tour.

well.... I'm gonna guess I'm not the only one to have had that impression

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

You had one of those, too, huh?  God that was insufferable.

out of 3 bands/singers on in the car in the 90s (Alanis, Hootie, and No Doubt).. No Doubt/Gwen lasted longer than Alanis/Hootie. Unless you listen to Country radio where Darius has had a pretty good career

He OD'd on heroin in 2001 and was in a coma for a few weeks, but since then I haven't heard anything. If he did anything he kept it quiet. This fucking sucks. One of my favorite groups of all time. Sucks so hard for his family and friends and everyone else beyond that. If there is a god, I'm pissed at it.

Saddened to hear about Taylor.  Foos have been one of my favorite bands and Taylor was on the drum kit during the time when the Foos finally found their sound.  It is more than a little distressing when a man who is three years younger than you passes away.

RIP

They don't specifically say the drugs in his system, but opiods could of course include heroin or it could all be prescription stuff. Benzos are easy to OD on, but who really cares about THC. That type of anti-depressant can be used for other things too. I'm sure whatever was in him could have caused his reported chest pains, but we'll just wait and see. This stuff is only out because the idiots leaked it to the tabloids down there in the first place.

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Of course they are. This is why I hate people. 

Your hatred is why we can't have nice things. That and I steal them.

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

While my initial thought on this was "man," I thought about it and I have close to that many in my system every day, between prescriptions, 2 kinds of insulin and assorted OTC things like a probiotic.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Damn.

New York Hip Hop DJ, Kay Slay, real name Keith Grayson, passed away yesterday at the age of 55 after suffering from Covid-19 for the last four months.

The DJ was hospitalized back in January and was reportedly in recovery, but eventually lost his battle with covid on Easter Sunday, April 17. The news came after a tweet was posted stating “Legendary NY DJ, DJ Kay Slay has reportedly passed away, according to Wack 100.”

The tragic news was later confirmed by Hip Hop promoter Van Silk in a chat with HipHopDX.

“Hip Hop lost a real gem. My dear brother is gone. I’ve known him since he was 16 years old. He was my little brother. I introduced him to many and we did a lot of things together. We last talked December because we were finishing up the 200 rolling deep project. He was gonna do his video part with MC Sha-Rock. From the mixtapes to helping him launch Straight Stuntin‘ magazine and the whole What The Science project, the world not only lost a real dedicated person to the culture of Hip Hop but a source of bridging the gap in Hip Hop. I’m gonna miss my little brother.”

Born Keith Grayson in New York City in April 1966, DJ Kay Slay, who went on to become one of the renowned faces of hip hop music, started off as a prominent graffiti artist under the tag name ‘Dez.’ After a brief stint in jail due to narcotics at the end of the 80s, Slay turned to DJ-ing in the 90s, signing a record deal with Colombia Records and was denoted as ‘The Drama King’ by his fans.

If it matters at all (and it doesn't), a freak-ass friend of mine who went with us to see Mayhem recently went on a tangent during the ride back about how Hawkins had probably gotten pure cocaine due to where he died, that the acid they found in his wallet might have been him trying to use the coke to counteract it... it was a pretty wild rant. This guy had been trying to convince us to use/purchase LSD (from him) all night long. If you heard the argument though, and his apparent connection to some pretty wild Deadheads, this came off like a reasonable argument. 

• 2 weeks later...