DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Unconfirmed reports saying he died from complications of COVID.  It's unclear if he was vaccinated or not, but he had been recently very critical of Australia because of their mandates. ?  

Guess it's true... he'd do anything for love, but he wouldn't do that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Basic gist is Meat Loaf basically always claimed he won ever Fantasy Football league he was ever in. The story focused on him claiming he won 20 of 30 leagues in a single season but in an update late on he went on Rich Eisen's show one year and claimed he won 50 of his 56 leagues in a season

I will miss insane bullshit like this

• Like 1

This one hits hard. Meat Loaf is someone with an odd legacy in Australia, a lot of younger people know him best for performing at the half time show of the AFL Grand Final in 2011 and being absolutely horrible in his performance, but for a lot of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's, Bat Out Of Hell was a massive part of our childhoods. I was born in 1982 and much of my childhood was spent in the family car with my Dad driving and that cassette in the tape deck and being played loud. I honestly think that this record was the first real exposure I had to loud rock music and as I got older was a gateway into heavier music. Even now all those years later, "All Reved Up And No Place To Go" is a fucking killer tune.

Edited by DeadEffect
correction
  • Like 1

As a kid I was entranced by the cover of Bat Out Of Hell, then I heard it. Did NOT sound like it looked, but I grew slowly to love it. I think the major breakthrough was watching the live performance of it on my buddy's laserdisc (!). That still has to rank up there with the greatest rock shows of all time. No one may have believed it until they saw it, but Meat and Jim Steinman were geniuses. RIP to them both. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I love that Meat Loaf sang five songs on Ted Nugent's Free-For-All record for a thousand dollars a year before Bat Out Of Hell came out.

Oh crap I forgot about that. I borrowed a bunch of my neighbor's vinyl when I was a kid and this was one of my favorites of them (along with the Kiss and Rainbow records, of course). Not ever gonna listen to that child molester again on purpose but hey, good is good.

EDIT: For those that didn't know, Uncle Ted got himself installed as the legal guardian of a 16 year old girl... so he could fuck her. Yeah. And you thought his political views were bad. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

My Mom took me on a crazy trip visiting all 22 missions in California the summer after 5th grade just the two of us for like a week.  Bat out of Hell was one of the 3 cassette tapes that I brought with me and my Mom, the saint that she was, let me listen to that sucker on repeat up and down the California coast the whole trip.  

It will forever be my ultimate driving album and this is such a bummer to hear today.  

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I all but guarantee you Christopher had no idea who Meat Loaf was

Considering Lee was a known Black Sabbath fan, guested on Manowar and Rhapsody of Fire and recorded a symphonic metal album IN HIS NINETIES, I would venture a guess that you were desperately, biblically wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Meat Loaf's fantasy football teams dominated because he kept drafting QBs with 67% completion rates

It feels like we did some of the Meat Loaf mourning process last April when Jim Steinman died.

Wonder what the overlap is between people who talked about "Ronnie Specter can collaborate with Eddie Money in heaven" last week and people speaking of Meat Loaf working with Jim Steinman in the afterlife today

Of the people  that Ronnie Specter worked with who aren't getting stabbed with pitchforks for eternity, I don't know where Eddie Money would rank on her list.

They had a memorial on the air for him followed by "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"... live version... on the radio at work tonight. 

I was lucky my coworkers weren't around right then. 

EDIT: Oh shit! Guess what was just on MTV Classic. 

Features a direct ripoff of Bram Stoker's Dracula -- the vampire women sexual assault, only with a woman as the victim. Surprised they got THAT on TV back then.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Man, "I would do anything for love" was a song I was super into in the 90s.  I'm not even sure why but I just knew I loved it.  Of course I still do but his other hits were a treat.  Something that happed a couple years ago is we're at this bar and paid no attention to whoever was doing music that night.  Well we hear "Paradise..." and thought "Hmm...must be a duo performing.  But as more and more people were looking at the act we looked to find that it was one man doing the voices of Meat and the woman.  And he crushed it on both counts.  I wish I remembered his name but we absolutely loved him.  Anyway, RIP Meat Loaf.

• Like 2