DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Roger Hawkins, drummer for the legendary studio musicians The Swampers passed away at age 75.

He played with literally everyone, drummed on all of Aretha's big hits, and created the drum beat to Land of 1000 Dances.  Truly a legend.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:39 PM, twiztor said:

RIP Humpty Hump.

my first exposure to Digital Underground was when i first watched the Chevy Chase movie "Nothing But Trouble" and was a fan for life.

Doowutchyalike was an anthem when I was in college.  I was going to post about this when it happened, but I think I was in too much disbelief.

RIP Shock G. 

I will post the Nike commercial with Charles Barkley and Shock G / Humpty Hump when I am on a computer not censored by the Department of the Army.   The NEC is still blocking all streaming services to conserve bandwidth on post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Doowutchyalike was an anthem when I was in college.  I was going to post about this when it happened, but I think I was in too much disbelief.

RIP Shock G. 

I will post the Nike commercial with Charles Barkley and Shock G / Humpty Hump when I am on a computer not censored by the Department of the Army.   The NEC is still blocking all streaming services to conserve bandwidth on post.

found a few of them for you. If i had ever seen these before, i certainly don't remember them. fun stuff.

and my favorite:

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must add that I own multiple ZZ Top records and even watched their documentary. And there are only three of them. 

I repeat...

EDIT: JEEZUS! I forgot that it was David Wayne on the S/T... and that I used Blessing in Disguise as a frisbee because I was a dumb kid. I REPEAT...

Edited by Curt McGirt

Rockpalast posted the entire set for ZZ Top from 1980 on their YouTube channel (WDR Rockpalast).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH4hCeJrs44&ab_channel=WDRRockpalast

I highly recommend it if you like 70s ZZ Top.

Spoiler

They play Tube Snake Boogie as an encore. That song didn't hit the streets until a year later.

Really good show.

Edited by Travis Sheldon
I can't insert YT vids for shit!
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Rockpalast posted the entire set for ZZ Top from 1980 on their YouTube channel (WDR Rockpalast).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH4hCeJrs44&ab_channel=WDRRockpalast

I highly recommend it if you like 70s ZZ Top.

Reveal hidden contents

Really good show.

I was listening to this the other day (AKA Bootlegs = Goodlegs). I'd forgotten what a tight, mean sound they had in their late 70s heyday, before the Eliminator era synths and other audio trickery came to the fore... especially on deeper cuts like "Precious and Grace," "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings" and "El Diablo." This is a fantastic performance and one of the better live concerts you're going to hear.