DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

On 1/5/2021 at 2:03 AM, Curt McGirt said:

RIP Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom, age 41

Not much of a COB fan myself (did own the debut album for a few years back in the day) but this guy was indeed one of the biggest, most successful musical exports Finland has seen on "popular" music front. He lived a rough life and apparently paid the price quite early. It's unlikely that an extreme(ish) metal band from Finland will ever reach such global (or international at least) success and popularity, again.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't want to speak ill of the dead but he ruined Impaled Nazarene when he introduced that melodic style to them. Not that Mika's homophobia and nationalism didn't do the same thing...

IN didn't need ruining for me. I have disliked them quite strongly ever since I became aware of them. The album cover of Mötorpenis is the only redeeming quality I can think of. It made me LOL in a record store when I first laid my eyes upon it. Other than that, fuck them!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mess with pop or electronic music, I don't know how to begin to explain the impact SOPHIE has had on music in the last decade, or how that influence fucking exploded across the world of electronic and marginalized artists after this record, but if you'd like to start to understand then spin this today.

RIP SOPHIE

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh man, on my 15th birthday,  I saw Return To Forever with Chick Corea, Lenny White, Stanley Clarke and Al De Miola at Chrysler Hall in Norfolk.  He was awesome.

• Like 1

Prince Markie Dee wrote and produced Mary J. Blige's "Real Love."  That's one of those before and after songs.  Everything before that was New Jack Swing, but everything after moved more into Hip-Hop Soul.  That's a huge contribution to the culture, on top of everything he did with The Fat Boys.

• 2 weeks later...

This missed getting widely reported as it happened. Gene Taylor, pianist for the Fabulous Thunderbirds and the Blasters, died of exposure to the cold on 2/20 while the power was out here in Austin. He was 68.

https://www.austin360.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/02/21/gene-taylor-austin-pianist-fabulous-thunderbirds-and-more-dies/4535083001/