DVDVR Message Board

WORST COVERS EVER

Lamp, broken circa 1988

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There are no words for how much I hate this cover. 

Tom Jones turning Prince's classic groove into a Vegas show tune is a grave offense against God.

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

I try to give this Coal Chamber joint a pass because covering a song is about bringing your own sound to someone else's track and because Nadja Peulin is adorable.

Coal Chamber properly transformed this Peter Gabriel song into a Coal Chamber song, but I hate it anyway and the washed out lighting in the video prevents me from properly doting on Nadja's cuteness while she is throwing down on the bass..

• Thanks 1

It's funny the Tom Jones album comes up because I was gonna post something off of the hilarious Pat Boone rock/metal cover album but when I started really looking at it on youtube (1) his version of Crazy Train is actually wholesome and pure and (2) his version of Panama is better than Van Halen's because Van Halen suck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

That Tom Jones cover is the first thing to take a real run as the worst thing posted in this thread, holy shit that's amazing

We actually agree on this. I couldn't even get a full minute into it. Keep in mind, I listened to that Bono one all the way through without any problem. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

In fairness, now much of making it through Bono doing whatever the fuck he is doing there was just a combination of shock and amazement, as opposed to actual tolerance? A natural fear/preservation reaction causing you to freeze in place.

I honestly wasn't that bothered by it. Like, I'm not gonna play it a second time, but it didn't strike me as anything close to one of the worst things I've ever heard.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

In fairness, now much of making it through Bono doing whatever the fuck he is doing there was just a combination of shock and amazement, as opposed to actual tolerance? A natural fear/preservation reaction causing you to freeze in place.

I think it'd be fairly straightforward to avoid those feelings entirely if, for example, one simply enjoys Bono failing spectacularly.

Weird.  Most people I talk to are of the consensus that Joe Cocker is arguably the best cover artist around. 

You cannot say that he doesn't bring his own sound to a cover song.

Opinions of how good or shitty his covers were tend to be determined by how much you revere The Beetles and whether or not you like his rather gravelly singing voice.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Weird.  Most people I talk to are of the consensus that Joe Cocker is arguably the best cover artists around. 

Opinions of how good or shitty his covers were tend to be determined by how much you revere The Beetles and whether or not you like his rather gravelly singing voice.

Not huge on the Beatles but really love The Animals. Cocker's "...Friends" is a million times better than the original.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Not huge on the Beatles but really love The Animals. Cocker's "...Friends" is a million times better than the original.

I love the raw edge he puts on She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.

Cocker's studio band fucking ruled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I love the raw edge he puts on She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.

Cocker's studio band fucking ruled.

Well, when you start with Leon Fucking Russell on piano whatever else you add is going to be just fine... 

First time I saw Leon was (IIRC) 1972-1973 at the Seattle Center Arena, dude tore that place down. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, J.T. said:

Weird.  Most people I talk to are of the consensus that Joe Cocker is arguably the best cover artist around. 

Uh, no... Just "no".  Joe is a damn fine cover artist, but he's not Joan Jett, The Cramps, The Bangles, Disturbed, or  Cheap Trick...

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 5:01 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Inspired by a friend assaulting me with this fucking thing today.

Give me what you've got.

For some reason, when I clicked on this thread and saw that, I had it in my head that it was Sonny Bono, and it absolutely terrified me. 

The reality is just that much more scary, methinks.

• Haha 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Wife was watching some show, A Million Little Things, and there was a cover of Don’t Dream It’s Over (Crowded House). It was absolutely brutal. BRUTAL.