DVDVR Message Board

WORST COVERS EVER

Lamp, broken circa 1988

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, J.T. said:

On second thought. I think I have won the thread and so we all lose.

I am sorry for putting you all through this first thing in the morning...

People like to hate on Miley Cyrus's cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.  It's not an entirely horrible performance on its own, but her pretentious into ruins everything that came after.

How in the fuck was Nirvana an influence for her?  She was born a year after Nevermind came out and she emulated her father's rockabilly stylings until she became a Disney kid and sang Pop tunes.  We call bullshit, Miley.

Even if the Weezer album is out, I'm seeing the Britney Spears cover and raising it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5kotMLjws

"I hope I DON'T die before I get old."  I WIN.

Deftones are probably one of my favorite bands but I really do hate their cover of No Ordinary Love by Sade.

I know that the purpose of covers is to bend a song to your sound, but Chino trying to wail his way through the lyrics that Sade smoothly croons through just makes my heart hurts..

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:26 PM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

lol y'all have weak stomachs. all these covers have most of the same notes in them still. Get on Bono's level. Or don't. Please don't.

The closest is the Ska Crazy Train.

I am the only person that followed the directions. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Deftones are probably one of my favorite bands but I really do hate their cover of No Ordinary Love by Sade.

I know that the purpose of covers is to bend a song to your sound, but Chino trying to wail his way through the lyrics that Sade smoothly croons through just makes my heart hurts..

Luckily they usually crush most of their covers, IMHO. I'd rather hear Chino over Morrissey any day, plus their version of Duran Duran's "The Chauffeur" is killer.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, J.T. said:

Africa is a decent cover.  No Scrubs is horrible.

I also hate their cover of Radiohead's Paranoid Android.

I actually liked "No Scrubs", simply because it was the only thing on the album that wasn't a note for note "what if Band X were playing and the vocalist fell in a manhole and Rivers had to fill in on vox?" remake.  It's bad, but it made me smile in a way that none of their non-Toto covers have before.

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Luckily they usually crush most of their covers, IMHO. I'd rather hear Chino over Morrissey any day, plus their version of Duran Duran's "The Chauffeur" is killer.

Most Smiths and Morrissey covers are better than the originals, because most bands have singers who can sing. And Morrissey cannot sing. At all.

You ever notice how almost everyone who does a version of Tainted Love is covering the Soft Cell version, not the Gloria Jones original?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

No lie, this is one of the better songs on that album

Their version of "Watching the Detectives" misses the point by millions of miles

I just found this completely coincidentally today and came here to post it and it's terrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1