DVDVR Message Board

WORST COVERS EVER

Lamp, broken circa 1988

I post this as someone who greatly enjoys both The Civil Wars (not to mention John Paul White's solo work) and Elliott Smith.  But this is so...fucking...stilted, when the whole point of how Elliott performs it renders the song (and its subjects) so fragile that butterfly's wings seem like Superman's cape in comparison.  Just...ugh.  Misses the point.

Maybe I would like this if I had heard it first.  I get that they appreciate the original.  But, no.  Just no.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pick a Five Finger Death Punch cover. Whichever one you chose, it's the right answer

Fowler has won the thread.

Their cover of Bad Company is the drizzling shits.

• Thanks 1

On second thought. I think I have won the thread and so we all lose.

I am sorry for putting you all through this first thing in the morning...

People like to hate on Miley Cyrus's cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.  It's not an entirely horrible performance on its own, but her pretentious into ruins everything that came after.

How in the fuck was Nirvana an influence for her?  She was born a year after Nevermind came out and she emulated her father's rockabilly stylings until she became a Disney kid and sang Pop tunes.  We call bullshit, Miley.

14 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I'm going with the last 30 years or so of Rod Stewart's career for the win...

After listening to some of his songs on the classic rock station, I'm not sure Rod Stewart was ever that good. Except for Forever Young, that's a fucking good song. . . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

After listening to some of his songs on the classic rock station, I'm not sure Rod Stewart was ever that good. Except for Forever Young, that's a fucking good song. . . 

I was never a huge fan, but he was alright in the 70's. The 80's hit him almost as hard as they hit Billy Joel. Next thing you know he's doing bad covers of Tom Waits and the Isley Brothers, then came the endless "Songbook" series and somewhere along the line he essentially became a professional karaoke artist... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain brain 

That's a fucking abomination that will give me nightmares for the rest of my life. I could only endure 41 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

The first time I heard that, I legitimately thought it was a joke. Their version of Behind Blue Eyes was playlisted on Virgin radio* for a while, and as soon as it fell off, every DJ on the station started playing the original, and talking about how horribly Limp Biscuit had murdered it.

Speaking of murdering songs, there's this posh bastard and his worthless pastiches:

* One DJ even busted out the classic "We've got some great songs coming up in the next hour, and Limp Biscuit!"