DVDVR Message Board

Which shows deserved a more proper ending?

JMFabiano

I absolutely hated the Seinfeld finale at the time, but I've seen it a few times since then and it doesn't offend me anymore.

I appreciate its cleverness, but I thought Larry David tried to push the idea that they were sociopaths way too much.

First of all, Kramer was actually pretty nice. And while the other three were douchebags, I'm not sure them laughing at a guy as he got mugged and pleaded for help was very consistent with their characters. They weren't sadistic or evil, just self-absorbed.

• Like 1

You're not the only one who watched MODELS INC... What was the finale?

I'll second MY NAME IS EARL. I don't know whether to add ALCATRAZ or not, since it really needed at least a whole second season. Fuck you, FOX.

But...if you watch the first episode of Raising Hope, a TV newscaster mentions a "small town crook trying to make good, and you won't believe how it ends."  So there was an ending to Earl, if only Virginia and Burt were paying attention longer we'd know what it was. 

/Actually you should watch all the other episodes of Raising Hope too.

//And the new season beginning in a month or so. 

///Except the Bar Mitzvah musical one.  That displaced "Sabrina's Got Money" as the worst. 

I absolutely hated the Seinfeld finale at the time, but I've seen it a few times since then and it doesn't offend me anymore.

If you watch it under the theory that the plane actually crashes, the four all die, and the courtroom is them being judged on where they spend eternity, it's more tolerable.  (And them all being held in a single cell as punishment is purgatory.)

Maybe not one of the greatest shows of all time but Benson deserved to end with Benson winning the governorship to show how far he had come in eight years, and not on a freeze frame.

Strange Luck deserved to hve at least an X-Files crossover for its 1 season finale, especially after they teased it in the episode where Chance finally found his brother.

Airwolf had such a shift in tone between seasons 1 &2. It really should've wrapped String's story so we wouldn't have had to suffer through the GOD AWFUL New Airwolf!

James

The Hughleys for the relatively short amount of time it was on TV was actually very good and the fact that the Final two episodes ended with Milsap adjusting to having a four year old daughter I felt the show needed another season and by the way Season 4 ended they most of thought they were getting picked up.

Speaking of demo specific shows, The George Lopez Show ended weird as hell. As an insomniac, I notice that NickatNite never shows the final episodes of the show. Maybe they were terrible because George booted off the daughter who really wasn't Hispanic, and Sandra Bullock showed up in every episode since she was a producer. But he did a Sopranos type spoof of how the show should have ended when his talk show was still on.

Married... With Children is the one that immediately comes to mind.

No kidding. Al never got anything good to make up for 10 years of the shittiest luck, like, ever. Granted, he was a moron and more of his undoings was his fault. But still.

Season 7 of Curb Your Enthusiasm gives great closure to Seinfeld as it revolves around getting everybody together for a Reunion Special on NBC. They rebuilt the apartment and coffee house sets and do a couple of actual scenes. It was really great.

Deadwood comes to mind first for me.

God yes, probably my favourite drama ever, but that third season was a mess as they tried to cram in 2 seasons worth of material. I know I'm supposed to care about the acting troupe, but they were rushed in so quickly and their story seems to be happening at a tangent from everything else.

Damn HBO for pulling the plug because of costs and damn David Milch for getting distracted by that shitty John from Cincinnati show.

Married... With Children is the one that immediately comes to mind.

No kidding. Al never got anything good to make up for 10 years of the shittiest luck, like, ever. Granted, he was a moron and more of his undoings was his fault. But still.

Well now he got Sofia Vergara, so suck it, Peg. 

4400! Still mad that we don't know what happens after they take Seattle

Amen. I really dug that show too.

To this list I'll add Invasion (great show that shouldn't have been cancelled). Also, Eureka deserved a better finale than it was allowed to have IMO.

• Like 1

TSCC is a great shout. So much left open...

TSCC was annoying because all involved seemed to know it wasn't getting renewed, pretty much by the half way point. The only reason the second season even got the back nine picked up was due to Terminator Salvation coming out (some people in power thought the tv show was good press for the movie). 

But instead of trying to tie things up (which he had at least 9 episodes to do) Josh Friedman just took the attitude of "Well, I don't want to make it easier for Fox to cancel us," so just intended to leave it on a cliffhanger. And Fox cancelled it anyway.

Ab Fab had several (which leads to an additional subject...which series had good endings before the ending?????) 

Although it would have left some loose ends plot wise with Willow, and it's well known that season 6 is my favorite thing ever, the season 5 finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer absolutely could have been an ultra depressing but excellent series finale.

I'm with you on this one. even with the awesome plot done with Willow in S6, the S5 finale felt like a good place to finish things. 

Season 6 of BUFFY is weak. It would have been fine if the stakes at the end had simply been the Scooby Gang trying to stop Willow from killing The Trio, but because "it might be the end of the world" is the only thing they could think of for a "big bad" scenario, it made things a lot less better than it could have been. It made her a generic BUFFY heel when it could have been more intimate and personal if it had been just her going after the nerds.

• Like 1