DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is The Tyranny of Evil Men - 12/10/2018

Niners Fan in CT

On 12/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, Godfrey said:

And let's not mince words, Reigns was the best guy for that role (and will be again) even if he wasn't an Anoa'i. He was a victim of poor writing and bad timing.

It's not even just that, the "poor writing" was one problem, though even with Rollins, he manages to try and counter his poor writing. It's just Rollins's fatal flaw that he's trying to be a face of the company and trying to be a firey babyface, yet his very voice and promo style will ALWAYS make any promo, no matter how much fire he has, sound less like "I am the general who's trying to rally you fans to war to lead me to victory!" and more like "I'm the whiny 16-year-old kid who's trying to get his parents to let him borrow the car on Friday night!"

Meanwhile, Reigns had all the tools to be the top guy- but he also had the fatal flaw that we're in an era of pro wrestling where WWE themselves have no clue that the fanbase are going to turn on the top babyface in the company, solely because WWE chose this person to be the top babyface in the company. And quite frankly, no matter who you put in charge, it's not going to work simply because you're never going to get 100% approval for anyone, and if you pick someone as the top babyface in the company, then anyone else who has a different horse in the race is going to whine because you didn't pick THEIR platonic ideal for the role. 

Put all those things together, and Ambrose may be smarter than anyone realizes to be the top guy: He doesn't TRY to be THE MAN, but tries to be a top star. He'll never be pushed as THE MAN (and thus be hated), so he'll always seem a little underutilized because he's not THE MAN (so people will whine he's underutilized). Where Roman tries making himself the consensus best pick as THE MAN, and Rollins tries a little too hard to be THE MAN, Ambrose is sitting here realizing that to be THE MAN, it's no longer about who the best wrestler is, it's no longer about who the vast majority LOVES, but rather to be the person that the most people can LIVE WITH as the top guy.  And Ambrose is very good in that role: There's still a lot of weaknesses to him and he's slightly polarizing as a top guy (we've all seen them even here), but by and large, most people can say "Ambrose as the top star? Sure, I can live with that pick." 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

It's not even just that, the "poor writing" was one problem, though even with Rollins, he manages to try and counter his poor writing. It's just Rollins's fatal flaw that he's trying to be a face of the company and trying to be a firey babyface, yet his very voice and promo style will ALWAYS make any promo, no matter how much fire he has, sound less like "I am the general who's trying to rally you fans to war to lead me to victory!" and more like "I'm the whiny 16-year-old kid who's trying to get his parents to let him borrow the car on Friday night!"

Meanwhile, Reigns had all the tools to be the top guy- but he also had the fatal flaw that we're in an era of pro wrestling where WWE themselves have no clue that the fanbase are going to turn on the top babyface in the company, solely because WWE chose this person to be the top babyface in the company. And quite frankly, no matter who you put in charge, it's not going to work simply because you're never going to get 100% approval for anyone, and if you pick someone as the top babyface in the company, then anyone else who has a different horse in the race is going to whine because you didn't pick THEIR platonic ideal for the role. 

Put all those things together, and Ambrose may be smarter than anyone realizes to be the top guy: He doesn't TRY to be THE MAN, but tries to be a top star. He'll never be pushed as THE MAN (and thus be hated), so he'll always seem a little underutilized because he's not THE MAN (so people will whine he's underutilized). Where Roman tries making himself the consensus best pick as THE MAN, and Rollins tries a little too hard to be THE MAN, Ambrose is sitting here realizing that to be THE MAN, it's no longer about who the best wrestler is, it's no longer about who the vast majority LOVES, but rather to be the person that the most people can LIVE WITH as the top guy.  And Ambrose is very good in that role: There's still a lot of weaknesses to him and he's slightly polarizing as a top guy (we've all seen them even here), but by and large, most people can say "Ambrose as the top star? Sure, I can live with that pick." 

I'm confused as to why you talked about Becky so much in a post about The Shield.

• Like 1