DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is The Tyranny of Evil Men - 12/10/2018

Niners Fan in CT

52 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Re: Ambrose

His appearance on Austin's podcast on the WWE Network pretty much showed the world he doesn't really have what it takes to be the bell cow.

Yeah. While Rollins always been a ratings sinker.

52 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Re: Ambrose

His appearance on Austin's podcast on the WWE Network pretty much showed the world he doesn't really have what it takes to be the bell cow.

I never understand why Ambrose took so much of the heat for that. Austin was pushing him a certain way, Dean didn’t want to go that way, and Austin kept persisting. Dean strikes me as a laid back guy. Why would they put him in the position where if he’s rude to a Wwe legend on live tv, he takes heat for that, but if he’s “boring,” he takes heat for that, too.

It’s like sticking him in that impossible situation with Lesnar. When it was clear Lesnar didn’t want to work with Dean in a street fight situation, someone in management should have either intervened on Dean’s behalf or they should have gone a different way for Lesnar’s opponent. 

Sorry. Tangent. The point is that I still think Ambrose is the most relatable performer on the roster. When he was on top of the b group house shows, they did good business. Getting stuck w a dead program W Ziggler on Smackdown didn’t help. 

Who else is there on Raw right now? Based on last nights rating, it isn’t Rollins. Balor? That ship has apparently sailed. McIntyre is fantastic, but he needs a decent foil. Raws problem is that it has a million bodies and zero stars, at the moment. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

At this point, Vince is talking to a doctor in the Swiss Alps, asking if a full blood/bone marrow transfusion is possible.

You know he's called Roman and asked for a time table regarding his return. Several times, more than likely.

Roman when Vince calls:

• Like 2

Being "laid back" isn't the way to become the number 1 guy in WWE. If you don't want it, you aren't going to get it. I don't know why people feel the need to take WWE Creative to task for improper utilization of people that don't have the right attitude. Why would they book him in the top spot when there's a long line of wrestlers that actually want to be there?

...because fans like them and will respond to them appropriately? Particularly in Ambrose’s case. He’s never not been over, and always in the manner in which he was supposed to be. Live crowds seem to respond to Rollins, but he retains tv viewers like “tough crowd.” Reigns, Strowman, and now apparently Balor are out. Lashley is a sucking vortex of charisma. I think Ambrose/McIntyre is the way to go. But, my opinion is just an opinion. It just seems smart to me to build around the guy that gets the response he’s supposed to consistently.

It is; but a lot of businesses would do well to evaluate the bias for the appearance of effort over quality results. This isn't to say Ambrose should be the guy, merely that his lack of superficially fanatical want-to shouldn't be a compelling reason why not, and WWE's brass-ring self-mythologizing is silly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

If he isn't willing to push himself to compete for the position, he isn't going to get it. That isn't a wrestling thing, that's a life thing.

Wise words SM, wise words indeed.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ARMDRAGON said:

Did anyone else notice Drake Maverick get pinned and not AOP?

In an effort to not be negative in this thread I just want to acknowledge how true this is.  I love Drake as the chikenshit manager but considering he at the pin I see AoP taking him out.  I would hope that makes them the world-beaters they were in NXT but we'll see what happens.

And while more Corbin is not a good thing I'll admit he had a good TLC match with Rollins.  I'm not even that mad about the finish.

3 hours ago, Beech27 said:

It is; but a lot of businesses would do well to evaluate the bias for the appearance of effort over quality results. This isn't to say Ambrose should be the guy, merely that his lack of superficially fanatical want-to shouldn't be a compelling reason why not, and WWE's brass-ring self-mythologizing is silly.  

Your point is well-taken, but we're talking about WWE and ultimately, Vince's perspective. It's why The Shield is intriguing. All three are held in high regard backstage, yet how they approach their positions are wildly different. Ambrose is aloof and somewhat insulated, while Rollins is too keen to have the top role.

It's no accident that Reigns, being 100% built in-house with knowledge of how to navigate backstage politics via his family, best found a way to get himself in place and then quietly waited for Vince to offer the crown, so to speak.

9 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Your point is well-taken, but we're talking about WWE and ultimately, Vince's perspective. It's why The Shield is intriguing. All three are held in high regard backstage, yet how they approach their positions are wildly different. Ambrose is aloof and somewhat insulated, while Rollins is too keen to have the top role.

It's no accident that Reigns, being 100% built in-house with knowledge of how to navigate backstage politics via his family, best found a way to get himself in place and then quietly waited for Vince to offer the crown, so to speak.

Very well put!

The show is wildly underwritten at this point with the top 3 guys gone either due to injury or being Brock Lesnar.  With a watered down roster, they needed to give these guys hooks and personalities as soon as possible and its been a failure.  The Generic Heel Alliance has no reason to work together and have gotten no benefit from working with the matchmaker.  Why are Drew and Bobby drifting along instead of getting title matches every week?   Baron has no goal other than to be the boss which could work if we new why he wanted to do that.  Is he especially arrogant or smart or driven or a megalomaniac?  They fail at having the characters having describable characteristics that go beyond what they look like.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, just drew said:

The point is that I still think Ambrose is the most relatable performer on the roster. When he was on top of the b group house shows, they did good business. Getting stuck w a dead program W Ziggler on Smackdown didn’t help.

I always thought Ambrose came off great as 'the man' during his title run. I personally loved the Ziggler feud build up, only the actual match was disappointing but the promos leading up to it are my favorite mic work from both guys.

I think Maverick is vital to the AoP package at the moment. They need a talker, which Maverick is tremendous at, his size makes them look even bigger (and AoP aren't huge lads, neither of them are particularly tall), he can take a beating if they need to lose and he's a real "play to the back seats" performer which helps make them more interesting. Him yelling "Tag me in. Same as last week" is the work of a man not confident that other people will get the story across, so is making sure that the message is conveyed. 

• Like 1

I would agree, I do think they are running through the steps too quickly.  They needed to highlight his assets to the team for a couple of months and set up his fatal flaw of a Napoleonic complex.  They shouldn't have had anyone touch him for months and saved the pee pants thing for way down the line if they wanted to do it so badly.  They should still be in the Honeymoon phase of having AOP holding people for him to slap and stand over.  They're on step 10 already when they should be on step 2.

• Like 1

If future me went back six months ago in a TARDIS to visit past me and tell him that Baron Corbin's abuse of authority gimmick would be the most watchable thing on RAW, past me would've told future me that he was out of his fucking mind.

You have to believe that Corbin goes over this Sunday, but the horrible booking of the past two weeks has me shook.

• Like 1