DVDVR Message Board

2019 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

Dumb as it is, the goalie VAR has now happened a couple times.

Part of me thinks they are trial ballooning stuff to see the reactions and then will modify things before the start of the club season. 

Chile now up 2-0 on Thailand.  They've got roughly 10 minutes to score again to get the chance to knock Norway out of the elimination rounds...

(And now they're reviewing for a possible PK for Chile!)

I haven't seen much, but the way group stages went I think it's really hard to tell who's the favourites to win. 

Media coverage over here is a plenty, but full of weird stuff. My personal strange moments were a Radio commentary on the Sweden v Thailand Broadcast which in length described a little Swedish girl in the audience (especially her clothing) and Martas Goal scoring record suddenly "breaking" Miroslav Klose's goal scoring record while Jamaica apparently scored "their first goal at World Cup finals" in 2019.

Edited by ReiseReise

45 minutes ago, Dewar said:

What a sellout. I hope she loses to Lacey. ?

USA~! USA~!

The people complaining about lack of sportsmanship and accusing the US of running up the score on Thailand are idiots.  

It's block play and goal differential matters.

I also subscribe to the "If Toronto were up on Golden State by a million points, no one would accuse the Raptors of being unsportsmanlike."

That might not be the best analogy since apparently our ladies are the ones working heel for this WC around since they are defending champs.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

USA~! USA~!

The people complaining about lack of sportsmanship and accusing the US of running up the score on Thailand are idiots.  

It's block play and goal differential matters.

I also subscribe to the "If Toronto were up on Golden State by a million points, no one would accuse the Raptors of being unsportsmanlike."

That might not be the best analogy since apparently our ladies are the ones working heel for this WC around since they are defending champs.

Scoring a bunch of goals wasn't the big reason for them getting stick, it was the ridiculous over the top celebrations after the goals that were an embarrassment and totally classless.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 11:28 PM, RIPPA said:

France/US being in the Quarters is infuriating 

France really didn't get an easy route to the semis, Brazil followed by US is one of the toughest combinations possible. France is a team on the verge of breaking through for quite some time now, but they seem to get blocked by established powers time and again. Maybe, home advantage will carry them a little further. 

Sooner or later, the same country will simultaneously hold the Men's and Women's World Cups. France have a chance.

Well. Today was... interesting. That referee is going to have nightmares.

several close calls went against Cameroon (all seem to be right, but Cameroon basically refused to play at one point, and was accusing folks of racism at halftime.)

Safe to say Phil Neville is not a fan of the referee or the way Cameroon played (there was a couple more incidents at the end)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48738649

Just to follow up on the several close calls thing, Cameroon were lucky that they weren't playing with nine players (4th minute blatant elbow, and then a later spitting incident)

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Safe to say Phil Neville is not a fan of the referee or the way Cameroon played (there was a couple more incidents at the end)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48738649

Just to follow up on the several close calls thing, Cameroon were lucky that they weren't playing with nine players (4th minute blatant elbow, and then a later spitting incident)

The "tackle" on Steph Houghton as well.

Good riddance, Cameroon.

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

US just got bailed out there.  Phew. 

I honestly expected Spain to tie it up in stoppage time with the way they picked up the pace there.  Was a fun match though I'll need to see the fixtures to see how confident I am in them getting another Cup win.