DVDVR Message Board

2019 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always feel a little extra sad when a defender finally gets their chance to score so that crossbar shot 10 minutes in for NZ (poetically enough, by a player named Chance) was extra heartbreaking.

okay so let me try to do justice for this to those who didn't see it:

1) Scotland is up 3-0 70 minutes into the game, Argentina starts subbing out its "star" offensive players either as a punishment or a get the kids some experience or a white flag or a combination thereof.

2) those kids start staging the comeback and it's 3-2 with 10 minutes left (Scotland still not subbing anyone in)

3) game starts getting really chippy, ref kinda loses a handle of it (imo).  Scottish players start barking at the ref and take yellow cards for insolence (as far as I can tell, because they're probably pissed at the rough-ass tackling).

4) Scotland finally make some subs and one of them almost immediately makes a bad tackle at around 85'-86' that leads (after a LENGTHY review) to a penalty that takes forever to get taken even after review because the ref takes forever to give instructions to the goalie (meanwhile the Scottish captain is on top of both of them screaming at the ref. Meanwhile another Scottish player is standing over the Argentine player with the ball about to take the kick)

5) Penalty is saved with a rebound, ball eventually goes out of bounds after a rough tackle where both players are down and hurt outside the box.

6) Penalty is reviewed and retaken because the Scottish goalie came off the line early.  Argentina converts the retake at about 94 minutes

7) ref then announces about only 4 minutes of stoppage time despite it taking over 10 minutes just to sort all the VAR reviews out (on top of the subs and goals and injuries) and it already being 4 minutes over when the announcement is made

8] game abruptly ends a few seconds later with both teams confused and a lot of booing.