DVDVR Message Board

[TV] DECEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

Curt McGirt

There is also the difference between American and British TV to consider. A British TV writer comes up with an idea for a show, and the network commissions them to write a series (by themselves) which is usually four to six episodes, which takes six weeks to film. An American TV writer comes up with a show, and the network hires them a writing team and commissions a season of 22 episodes, which takes 42 weeks to film. A lot less time to do other projects.

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is that Al Swearengen or Dutch Van Den Linde? 

Is he frequently mentioning Tahiti? If the answer is no, it's Al.

Olyphant's tache still isn't as epic as the real Seth Bullock but it's getting there...

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Is he frequently mentioning Tahiti? If the answer is no, it's Al.

Olyphant's tache still isn't as epic as the real Seth Bullock but it's getting there...

Holy shit. That's the first time I ever looked up the real Seth Bullock. That is a lot of hair.

Pierce Brosnan looks like a middle aged Pierce Brosnan, unless you're watching The Long Good Friday. 

You should probably watch The Long Good Friday. It's a classic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Reading about the real Bullock makes you wish they'd do a proper fourth season featuring a young Teddy Roosevelt. 

Yep. I'm surprised they wasted the Wyatt Earp cameo the way they did in S3 but they must've known the writing was on the wall.

When they released the steelbook many years ago, it came with the soundtrack on CD which was ideal as I'd been trying to track it down for years. The main theme is a beaut, it would totally be my wrestling entrance music if my character was Million Dollar Man or playboy type

Someone needs to tell me if Homecoming gets any better. The first episode didn't really draw me in, but the last 5 minutes or so was really unsettling for some reason (and I liked that). Maybe it had to do with the vertical screen framing and how only one character at a time was in the shot, but that last scene outside of the restaurant has really stuck with me since last night.

On a similar note - opinions on Man In The High Castle? I love the book, but the trailer for S1 didn't convince me to start it so I'm wondering what everyone here thinks about it.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Someone needs to tell me if Homecoming gets any better. The first episode didn't really draw me in, but the last 5 minutes or so was really unsettling for some reason (and I liked that). Maybe it had to do with the vertical screen framing and how only one character at a time was in the shot, but that last scene outside of the restaurant has really stuck with me since last night.

On a similar note - opinions on Man In The High Castle? I love the book, but the trailer for S1 didn't convince me to start it so I'm wondering what everyone here thinks about it.

I really like Man in the High Castle. Season 2 is a bit of a drag, but season 3 is excellent and is as good as season 1. That and Counterpart are two of my favorite sci fi shows on tv.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2018 at 2:50 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

McNulty's disregard for the way things are done earns him pretty understandable dislike from Rawls and Daniels early on. 

Without tipping the show's whole hand, people pushing back against McNulty bucking the system plays into the show's larger themes. There's a lot of institutions which don't serve society the way they ought to. And there are actors in those systems who reinforce them. Those actors and the institutions themselves don't appreciate the suggestion that they're doing things the wrong way. There's a lot of climbers and company men who've bought in. People like McNulty are a nuisance. 

McNulty commits the cardinal sin of The Wire: He gives a fuck when it's not his turn to give a fuck. 

I'd personally recommend not comparing The Shield and The Wire. They're both great shows about police from the same period. But they're apples to oranges in style and substance. 

That's probably the best character analysis that someone could come up with for McNulty and any of the halfway decent characters in The Wire. They give a fuck which makes it inconvenient for the folks who are either above them on the food chain or are trying to play the game to get there.

• Like 1

McNulty gives a fuck but so much of it is to serve his ego and to prove that he's right. MANY SPOILERS DOWN BELOW.

Spoiler

There is a scene in Season 1 where he and Ronnie have to go before the judge. McNulty pulls some crap as she sits there not prepared for it. She's all pissy because it could come back to burn her career. She's completely right in this situation. She has her own career aspirations within the Baltimore legal community and McNulty will burn her if it suits his aims. Also, he's sleeping with her and is an asshole in there relationship. And in the final season, McNulty is beyond awful in his self-centered views and no one who holds a badge should respect him.

Also, not all of the villains in the police force are fully bad. Rawls is a careerist but he also is incredibly competent when handling Kima's shooting. That goes to show that he ascended the ranks not just because of his mastery of office politics, but also because he has experience in handling difficult situations well. He's also very complimentary throughout the series to Daniels and helps him along the way. And, ultimately, Rawls is proven right about McNulty being a rogue who can cause more harm than good.

Valchek in Season 2 is considered to be a petty hack. And his interest in the union is solely because of a dumb rivalry over a church donation. But his instincts about union corruption are right and it leads to the arrest of Sobotka. 

The most well-intended characters in the police force are Bunk, Kima, Bunny and Carver. Bunk just wants to do (and does) good police work. He stays away from McNulty's nonsense if it becomes too much. Freeman is also a better detective than anyone else (after having his career wasted in a petty beef) and is more well-adjusted than McNulty. But he becomes too close to McNulty in the final season and it leads to his downfall. Kima learns as their collective understudy and becomes as good as they are but won't cross ethical lines. Carver is awful in Season 1 and is a total hack but has learned by the end how serious his job and position are. Bunny lost his job because he took a controversial approach without letting his superiors know, but it was a well-intended way to improve the community.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Greggulator said:

McNulty gives a fuck but so much of it is to serve his ego and to prove that he's right. MANY SPOILERS DOWN BELOW.

Hide contents

There is a scene in Season 1 where he and Ronnie have to go before the judge. McNulty pulls some crap as she sits there not prepared for it. She's all pissy because it could come back to burn her career. She's completely right in this situation. She has her own career aspirations within the Baltimore legal community and McNulty will burn her if it suits his aims. Also, he's sleeping with her and is an asshole in there relationship. And in the final season, McNulty is beyond awful in his self-centered views and no one who holds a badge should respect him.

Also, not all of the villains in the police force are fully bad. Rawls is a careerist but he also is incredibly competent when handling Kima's shooting. That goes to show that he ascended the ranks not just because of his mastery of office politics, but also because he has experience in handling difficult situations well. He's also very complimentary throughout the series to Daniels and helps him along the way. And, ultimately, Rawls is proven right about McNulty being a rogue who can cause more harm than good.

Valchek in Season 2 is considered to be a petty hack. And his interest in the union is solely because of a dumb rivalry over a church donation. But his instincts about union corruption are right and it leads to the arrest of Sobotka. 

The most well-intended characters in the police force are Bunk, Kima, Bunny and Carver. Bunk just wants to do (and does) good police work. He stays away from McNulty's nonsense if it becomes too much. Freeman is also a better detective than anyone else (after having his career wasted in a petty beef) and is more well-adjusted than McNulty. But he becomes too close to McNulty in the final season and it leads to his downfall. Kima learns as their collective understudy and becomes as good as they are but won't cross ethical lines. Carver is awful in Season 1 and is a total hack but has learned by the end how serious his job and position are. Bunny lost his job because he took a controversial approach without letting his superiors know, but it was a well-intended way to improve the community.

You are right on point with pretty much all of this.  The show reached it's best show in history reputation because pretty much every character in the first 4 seasons is a believable human being.  No one is a hero, you find yourself rooting for villains, and no one is perfect.  

• Like 1