DVDVR Message Board

[TV] DECEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

Curt McGirt

Neck-deep in Season 2 of Mrs. Maisel znd those Catskills episodes are just amazing. They also make me grateful for my Grandfather working fir Murder Inc and getting in or the ground floor on land development in Florida in the 50s. Early retirement to Florida probably spared my Dad many a summer in the Catskills and thus spared me an early childhood having miserable summers there (i.e. Summers were spent in Florida visiting the Grandparents)

James

58 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I seriously need to watch Mrs. Maisel. I have watched Gilmore Girls from start to finish somewhere around a dozen times by this point. I assume it has the same type of dialogue?

None of us can actually confirm this, ya maroon. 

It has great snappy dialogue though.

I watched the 1st series of Mrs. Maisel a while back and I liked it but, I dunno, Mrs. Maisel isn't...that...funny. Shit, her manager is way funnier than she is. The funniest act in the whole thing is the ventriloquist act ('how big are their tits?').

I posted a while back too that I was re-watching The Sopranos from the start. I'm half way through series 5 so far. So far, there is no series of The Sopranos which is as good as the 1st series and there is no character who is as good as Livia. 

Hoo boy, well, this is now attempt number 3 or 4 for me for watching The Wire. I tried and failed so many times in the past because the first couple episodes are so freaking boring. It's just so slow and all I hear from people is that this show barely edges out The Shield for one of the best series ever. Anyway, I've made it to episode 6 of the first season and it's pretty interesting and I think I'm hooked.

My wife also wanted to watch the Shield so I'm watching that at the same time. I have to say, season for season, so at this point season 1 vs season 1, the Shield is better. The pacing and characters are all more interesting. My biggest problem with the Wire are all the times we have to cut to a storyline where someone doesn't like McNulty. We get it. Many people think McNulty is a dick. The problem is that there is nothing on the show at this point beyond McNulty being a bad dad to really show that McNulty is a dick. On the Shield though, there are plenty of reasons shown to you for why Vic Mackey is a piece of shit.

The stuff with Omar's boyfriend was pretty sad. That's where I'm up to at this point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Hoo boy, well, this is now attempt number 3 or 4 for me for watching The Wire. I tried and failed so many times in the past because the first couple episodes are so freaking boring. It's just so slow and all I hear from people is that this show barely edges out The Shield for one of the best series ever. Anyway, I've made it to episode 6 of the first season and it's pretty interesting and I think I'm hooked.

My wife also wanted to watch the Shield so I'm watching that at the same time. I have to say, season for season, so at this point season 1 vs season 1, the Shield is better. The pacing and characters are all more interesting. My biggest problem with the Wire are all the times we have to cut to a storyline where someone doesn't like McNulty. We get it. Many people think McNulty is a dick. The problem is that there is nothing on the show at this point beyond McNulty being a bad dad to really show that McNulty is a dick. On the Shield though, there are plenty of reasons shown to you for why Vic Mackey is a piece of shit.

The stuff with Omar's boyfriend was pretty sad. That's where I'm up to at this point.

McNulty's disregard for the way things are done earns him pretty understandable dislike from Rawls and Daniels early on. 

Without tipping the show's whole hand, people pushing back against McNulty bucking the system plays into the show's larger themes. There's a lot of institutions which don't serve society the way they ought to. And there are actors in those systems who reinforce them. Those actors and the institutions themselves don't appreciate the suggestion that they're doing things the wrong way. There's a lot of climbers and company men who've bought in. People like McNulty are a nuisance. 

McNulty commits the cardinal sin of The Wire: He gives a fuck when it's not his turn to give a fuck. 

I'd personally recommend not comparing The Shield and The Wire. They're both great shows about police from the same period. But they're apples to oranges in style and substance. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

McNulty commits the cardinal sin of The Wire: He gives a fuck when it's not his turn to give a fuck. 

Exactly. It's not so much that McNulty is disliked because he's a bad person -- yes, he is a poor father, a horrible husband, and a raging alcoholic, but he has a heart of gold and everybody knows that. That however is the problem. He makes people do things they don't want to do. The BPD is full of the lazy, the corrupt, the outright wicked, and consequences be damned he will make them sing for their supper. That's why he's hated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is pretty much it.  He's the dude who decided to become a cop to stop crimes.  He's on a mission to stop the Barksdale crew because they are high-level criminals who are responsible for a huge percentage of the murders in the city.  Getting rid of them would actually improve the lives of the citizens of the city, at least for a little while.  That isn't how the police department works though.  Why spend months trying to lock up one high-level drug dealer, and his lieutenants when you can arrest 25 low-level drug dealers every single day?  One allows you to show the public numbers that make them feel safe, but the other might actually help make the public safe.  He sees through the bullshit of the numbers game, and doesn't buy into it.  His bosses, have bought into the bullshit, and that bullshit is the foundation that the entire department is built upon.  Everything he does, especially when it works, is spitting in the face of the people in the department who bought into the bullshit.  

• Like 1

Oooook, those two posts make a ton of sense and in episode 5 or 6 I started to get that inkling that people talk shit about McNulty because he sees and knows what the police should be while those who sit up high just care about percentages and other bullshit and don't care about actual police work. The storyline that just started where the major wants to completely torpedo the Stringer Bell investigation and try to pin a murder charge on D is evidence of that.

Also, good tip about the Shield and the Wire. I always thought people made that comparison about which is better because they were sorta similar shows, but it's good to know they're apples and oranges. 

Speaking of CBS, Elementary's 7th season will be its last.

Weird, because I thought it had already been cancelled.  

Sherlock only made it to four seasons.  How did this thing make it to seven?

Just now, AxB said:

Mr Freeman and Mr Cumberbatch got very busy with other projects, whilst Mr Miller and Ms Liu didn't.

I suppose my point was that I don't think that Elementary was very good and it should've been axed a lot sooner.

Andrew Colburn, one of the detectives made famous/infamous by Making a Murderer has sued pretty much everyone involved in making the show (the directors, Netflix executives, and Netflix itself) for defamation of character.