DVDVR Message Board

[TV] DECEMBER 2018 TV DISCUSSION

Curt McGirt

Been watching Escape At Dannemora on Showtime and it features Benicio del Toro in full Benicio-ness, plus the addition of a frumpy but still sexy Patricia Arquette and an honestly outclassed Paul Dano. Or maybe that's just the role of the character. From the look of the actual events, Richard Matt appears to have been able to escape certain death multiple times, so it's fine for Benicio to overstate him.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

I started watching Billions and I was immediately hooked. I've been binging it like crazy and I'm already into episode 7 of season 3. I love this show.

A lot of people swear by his character, but every time David Costabile is on screen I want to switch the channel. Legit. Wags is fuckin' annoying.

• Sad 1

I... don't like Wags that much. His performance feels so phoney especially compared to his work on Breaking Bad. Sometimes he gives a good performance, but most times I think he is a shit actor. 

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't think he's a bad actor, but that character is garbage. It doesn't fit in with the world of Billions at all.

I just think sometimes his performances are really cringe inducing. Other times he's fine. I think it was mainly in season 1 that I felt like that. He just talks in such an unrealistic way, which says a lot in a show where EVERYONE speaks like they're in a David Mamet or Aaron Sorkin production.

As for how his character fits into Billions, I think he sorta fits. So many people on that show are broken people or come from broken backgrounds. He's like that as well, but he's by far the most outrageous or acts the most outrageous to downplay how broken his past is. There's actually a touching moment between him and Taylor where he tries to show Taylor that Bobby isn't wrong by driving Taylor out to the house Wags owns, but is lived in by his ex-wife. He talks about how enchanted he was by his ex-wife because she used to dance everywhere, but there were also periods of rage and that over time, all there was was rage and no dancing. Bobby saw all of that coming and was Wags' only friend to warn him from marrying her. I don't think it necessarily proved that Wags was right in that Bobby is never wrong, but it was a touching moment where Wags felt normal and I wish he would have been shown more like that throughout this series than how he's usually portrayed.

Alright, finished the Billions season 3 finale while wrapping up some work stuff. I'm really bummed that I blew through it so fast. It's definitely one of my favorite series and it reminded me of another series, but I can't think of which one right now. That other series though started promising and ended up being shitty. This one just got stronger and stronger. Regarding the finale...

Spoiler

Ever since the midseason pivot to wrapping up all of the issues between the government and Axe Capital, I've been waiting for another meeting between Bobby, Chuck, and Wendy. Earlier in the season, Wendy alluded to how Bobby and Chuck got along really well at one point before Chuck became a district US attorney so I had an inkling that we'd see them all together again. What I didn't see coming was Sacker, Dake, and Connerty fucking over Chuck. I actually didn't like the misdirection they used because it didn't make much sense other than to create the twist that they were fucking Chuck over. I mean, Sacker, Dake, and Connerty all should be aligned with Chuck against Jock, and then they give him the boot.

And even then, when the knock comes at the door near the end of the episode, I expected it to be Sacker or Dake or Connerty and we'd see it was another elaborate setup. Despite my misgivings about the twist in the first place, I was relieved that the showrunners stuck to their guns and didn't back out on that. I was even happier when it was Bobby at the door.

I had a big dumb grin on my face thinking about the shit that Bobby, Chuck, and Wendy could stir up together as a team and this additional pivot to put them all together against different rivals (Jock for Chuck and Taylor for Bobby) is a welcome one.

Billions excels at giving audiences what they want and doing so in a mostly logical manner, but at almost all times it's highly entertaining even if some of the twists don't make total sense.

So is it just me, or does this series not get enough credit? It's awesome, but I only heard about it from a friend in one of my fantasy football leagues. He urged me to watch and I was bored enough after an episode of Ray Donovan to check it out. This shit is so good.

• Like 1

OH! Ballers. Ballers was the show I was thinking about when thinking of how good Billions is. Nevermind the quality of the performers on each series, Billions does what Ballers tries to do way better and there's actual consequences for the folks on Billions whereas with Ballers it's very much like Entourage where nothing bad ever really happens.

Watership Down

4 episode Series

The all-star cast includes James McAvoy (Glass, X-Men: First Class), Olivia Colman (The Crown, Fleabag), Ben Kingsley (Operation: Finale, Iron Man 3), John Boyega (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Attack the Block), Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: Days of Future Past), Gemma Arterton (The Girl with All the Gifts) and Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out, Black Panther).

The series, written by Tom Bidwell (Bafta-nominated “My Mad Fat Diary”) and directed by Noam Murro (300: Rise Of The Empire). The four-episode (each an hour-long) series is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix and produced by 42 and Noam Murro’s company Biscuit Films.

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That looks real bad. Like PlayStation circa 1995 intro cutscene bad.

Did they start production on this in 2003 and just decide to add the voices 15 years later?