DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] DECEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Elsalvajeloco

All I could think of is if Ed Leslie had criminal charges filed against him and his response was to stage a comeback by doing a YouTube video in character as Brutus the Barber Beefcake.

Why Beefcake? I don't know, but this video is carny as fuck.

YOU ARE NOT FRANK UNDERWOOD YOU CREEPY FUCK.

Fucking weirdo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

All I could think of is if Ed Leslie had criminal charges filed against him and his response was to stage a comeback by doing a YouTube video in character as Brutus the Barber Beefcake.

I would be down for this.

I caught Holmes & Watson this morning. I misread the director's name(Etan Cohen) as Ethan Coen and wondered what happened to Joel. This is Ferrell's best movie in years and Reilly's third best movie this year. There are far worse things to do on a late December day than watch this movie. I enjoyed it for what it is.

• Like 1

Re: the popularity of gangsta rap, my best friend as a little kid was the redneck neighbor who had hand-me-down tapes of 2 Live Crew, Dre, and Body Count that we literally wore out, and this was backwater Southern Illinois in the early '90s. The shit was huge. Then again we were also lucky his older brother bought those cassettes haha...

EDIT: It also didn't matter that said brother was a virulent racist who liked to get tuned up on painkillers and go instigate race riots at the local Hardee's, either -- he still bought the records

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: the popularity of gangsta rap, my best friend as a little kid was the redneck neighbor who had hand-me-down tapes of 2 Live Crew, Dre, and Body Count that we literally wore out, and this was backwater Southern Illinois in the early '90s. The shit was huge. Then again we were also lucky his older brother bought those cassettes haha...

EDIT: It also didn't matter that said brother was a virulent racist who liked to get tuned up on painkillers and go instigate race riots at the local Hardee's, either -- he still bought the records

I don't really see either person really feeling Cop Killer. Matter of fact, if they did, it would virtually diminish the message. 

I'm not talking about purely album sales because that's just one component. I think there is more than enough proof that we don't need anecdotal evidence that random white people were willing to deal with hip-hop. I'm was talking the organic growth of the subgenre.

Holmes and Watson has something close to a zero percent on Rotten Tomatoes. 

I saw it on Christmas Day. It is pretty funny. I don't get why it is getting ripped by critics to this degree. I assume that something dumb and silly doesn't work with these types of stiffs. It's not as funny as Step-Brothers or Walk Hard or Anchorman but it's still worth watching.

I was born and raised on the west coast, so I knew who NWA and co. were by 1988. During my freshman year musical (42nd Street), we played "Boyz-n-the-Hood" on loop in the boys' dressing room.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Holmes and Watson has something close to a zero percent on Rotten Tomatoes. 

I saw it on Christmas Day. It is pretty funny. I don't get why it is getting ripped by critics to this degree. I assume that something dumb and silly doesn't work with these types of stiffs. It's not as funny as Step-Brothers or Walk Hard or Anchorman but it's still worth watching.

AV Club called it the career worst for both guys

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

I refuse to believe it's worse than Bewitched, that's just insane.

Someone in the comments actually asked that. The writer said it was.

I haven't seen it, probably won't until Netflix or whatever. But some of the worst reviews I've seen lately.

Speaking of Netflix - Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is more weird than the usual Black Mirror craziness. I like it, but I won't go through that experience more than twice. I "made the wrong choice" too many times, so the original story is hard to follow after too many failed choices.

Some of the more meta parts are fucking hilarious, though.

Spoiler

Choosing "Netflix" when Stefan asks who is controlling him results in a pretty hilarious fight scene at his therapist's office.

Saw a couple movies this week:

The Mule - This was OK. Very straightforward movie that does nothing all that interesting. Just kind of there. 

Welcome to Marwen - This was pretty good. I find the story fascinating and the movie does a decent job of telling it. Some minor alterations to the true story but the gist is there. They do not hide the cross dressing as a motivation for the attack. Probably a rental for most but I enjoyed it. 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:06 AM, Casey said:

Speaking of Netflix - Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is more weird than the usual Black Mirror craziness. I like it, but I won't go through that experience more than twice. I "made the wrong choice" too many times, so the original story is hard to follow after too many failed choices.

Some of the more meta parts are fucking hilarious, though.

Reveal hidden contents

Choosing "Netflix" when Stefan asks who is controlling him results in a pretty hilarious fight scene at his therapist's office.

Bandersnatch is fucking awesome. There are a couple of 'dead-ends' which take you into loops, but nothing that didn't happen in Choose Your Own Adventure books (I am old enough to have borrowed quite a few from the Mobile Library as a young kid). Decision Tree in Spoiler Tags

There isn't an original story per se; it's just a bunch of stuff that happens (maybe). 

3YAutmi_a5fgNai9Hv22DgqF2zY3SHmAal7CtfAd

• Like 1

• RIPPA unfeatured and unpinned this topic