DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIES] DECEMBER 2018 DISCUSSION

Elsalvajeloco

On 11/26/2018 at 12:49 PM, just drew said:

A bit late to the party, but I LOVED Bohemian Rhapsody. I know they played a bit fast and loose with the timeline, but I found Remi Malek mesmerizing as Freddie, and the guys they casted to play Queen all did yeoman's work around Malek, as I imagine May, Taylor, and Deacon were doing around Mercury during the band's heyday. Also, the unmitigated balls it took to cast Mike Myers as essentially the world's greatest inside joke of all time was fantastic. Also, the first time John Deacon appeared on screen, I accidentally said out loud "Big Tim, the human piece of toast." I regret nothing. The ending 20 minutes at LiveAid were goosebump inducing. Great film. Not perfect, but the casting was really great and I thought it was shot and edited well, too. And of course, the soundtrack was bonkers.

Yeah, I highly enjoyed this one and I usually hate the *insert wikipedia entry here* biopics. Of course you have some eye rolling moments, but it's nothing that really bothered me. Malek at the very least came off as super endearing.

Creed: What worked: I love how Stallone is such a dogshit actor in everything else and then just turns into such a colossus of gravitas in these films with the best monologues going around. The in fight cinematography cant be beat and theres a great cameo halfway through the film.

Everything else was a hot mess attempting to make a point on toxic masculinity, panicking and being the equivalent of a Ben Cousins Say No To Drugs message. Character motivations across the board make no sense and the entire film takes over 2 hrs to make the same point that Marty McFly being called chicken in the first Back to the Future took ten minutes to illustrate. Soundtrack went from an epic identity creator in the first Creed to borderline parody featuring dramatic Boney M interlude, and unintentional Laurence of Arabia tribute.

This is a pretty good banner holder for films that get their heroes and villains mixed up. Guy becomes a father to a disabled child and risks his life to fight because reasons. What a total piece of shit.

3/10

• Like 1

Stumbled onto Streets of Fire the other night.

18-year-old Diane Lane: ? 

Weirdly young Willem Dafoe shirtless in patent leather overalls: ?

Rick Moranis way up there in movie whiplash, going from Strange Brew to Streets (straight dramatic role, no less) to Ghostbusters: ?

Plus a whole host of folks that had us going "wait, THEY're in this too?" Robert Townsend, Amy Madigan, Ed Begley Jr, Bill Paxton, Lee f'n Ving... the list goes on and on. Some fun visuals and music, but this was way more interesting than good in the long run.

• Like 3

They had gone through heavy re-shoots because of how bad it apparently was. I can guess after watching it recently that most of the romantic scenes with Michael Pare, and Diane Lane were re-done. It’s real noticeable when they show close ups of Diane Lane wearing a wig. 

Great soundtrack, though. The Stevie Nicks soundalike song on the soundtrack really rips, and The Fixx track on it got me into their catalog.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They had gone through heavy re-shoots because of how bad it apparently was. I can guess after watching it recently that most of the romantic scenes with Michael Pare, and Diane Lane were re-done. It’s real noticeable when they show close ups of Diane Lane wearing a wig. 

Great soundtrack, though. The Stevie Nicks soundalike song on the soundtrack really rips, and The Fixx track on it got me into their catalog.

Cindy was unimpressed ("Eh, it sounded like other music I like better"), not that this stopped her from singing along with "I Can Dream About You" when it popped up. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Austin said:

There was supposed to have been a sequel to that but I don't believe it got made, or it was a straight to video.

An Albert Pyun extravaganza:

It was Streets of Fire that convinced me Dafoe should have been The Joker. Hell, I think Miller bases a few panels on him for TDKR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

An Albert Pyun extravaganza:

That is really fucking sad. Like sadder than watching a Rock n’ Roll Express match from this year sad.

I watched a shitty DTV called Wyatt Earp’s Revenge on Prime this past weekend, that had Val Kilmer playing Earp. I couldn’t get past the first scene with Kilmer, who was wearing the worst fake mustache ever. Though, I don’t think it was as sad as that Road to Hell trailer.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Stumbled onto Streets of Fire the other night.

Was it airing on TV somewhere that I missed? Been several years now since I've caught it but it became an all time fav after the first time I randomly came across it one night. Tonight is what it means to be young!

6 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Was it airing on TV somewhere that I missed? Been several years now since I've caught it but it became an all time fav after the first time I randomly came across it one night. Tonight is what it means to be young!

I want to say Starz Retroplex. The following flick was EVIL ROY SLADE but Cindy had lost all patience with me by that point.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, John Austin said:

There was supposed to have been a sequel to that but I don't believe it got made, or it was a straight to video. 

I do agree with your sentiment in that its interesting more than good. I still like watching it every now and then on HD-DVD

Supposedly, the story was conceived as a trilogy.  In an interview, Pare claimed that "all of the people that made Streets of Fire left Universal Studios and went to 20th Century Fox" and the higher-ups lost interest in the idea when Streets of Fire bombed at the box office.

I need to rewatch Streets.  It's been on a few times lately, but I haven't paid much attention to it.  When it was released, I thought it was terrible, but, now, it's kinda a curiosity because of who was in it.

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Just noticed that it (Streets of Fire) is available on Comcast On Demand.  It's in the free movie section in the Movieplex folder.

With a new Robin Hood film out, I'm thinking about Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991). So quotable was his Sheriff of Nottingham: "Locksley. I'll cut your heart out with a spoon!", "Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more!" I'm cracking up now thinking about THAT snap look given by Sheriff of Nottingham when he's about to be stitched up.

• Like 1

They're not wrong.  Modern TV's are default to on at 60 FPS, meanwhile movies are filmed at 24 FPS, and the TV's codec has to make up the difference, which totally screws with the way it's presented.

17 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Tom Cruise takes his shit very seriously.

I like motion smoothing. There I said it. I especially like watching old black & white films with it to make it feel like it was shot last week. It also gives it a thickness to old cinema that it doesn’t have when it’s off. Like for instance I watched Die Hard last night with motion smoothing on, and let me tell you, that scene with the cops getting pricked by the rose bush has never looked better.

• Like 1