DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NCAAF: GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

Selection show starts in about 10 minutes. 

Bama, Clemson, and ND are almost definitely in. UCF should get the la.... LOL no. 

I'm gonna guess Ohio State, but Zero U has a legit claim. 

They should expand the playoffs to 8 teams. 

No respect for the B1G this year at all.  Ohio St. killed Michigan and then won the championship game and didn't move up much at all.  Georgia with 2 losses held on to the 5th spot.  

I think they got the right 4 teams.   Sucks again for UCF but without Milton they wouldn't have much of a chance at all.  Their backup Mack Jr. played well against Memphis but..  

I know you guys all love to shit on ND for various reasons, but of the 4 teams to get in they didn't have the easiest path. 

While I don't think they have a shot against Alabama (this year, I don't think anyone does), they're a much different team than the one that got stomped by Alabama and they got in relatively healthy by not going balls out all season.

ND's biggest weakness this season was playing down to their competition or practically taking games off. I don't know if they beat Clemson, but I think they at least make it competitive. 

Your complete 2018-19 Bowl schedule, updated when matchups are finalized, all times Eastern.

College Football Playoff

Saturday, 29 December

• Capital One Orange Bowl - 4:00 or 8:00 PM, ESPN: Alabama vs Oklahoma
  • Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic - 4:00 or 8:00 PM, ESPN: Clemson vs Notre Dame

Monday, 7 January

• College Football Playoff Championship - 7:00 PM, ESPN: Alabama/Oklahoma winner vs Clemson/Notre Dame winner

Non-CFP Bowl Games

Saturday, 15 December

• Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl - 12:00 PM, ABC: North Carolina A&T vs Alcorn State
  • Gildan New Mexico Bowl - 2 PM, ESPN: Utah State vs North Texas
  • AutoNation Cure Bowl - 2:30 PM, TBD: Louisiana-Lafayette vs Tulane
  • Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl - 2:30 PM, ABC: Fresno State vs Arizona State
  • Raycom Media Camellia Bowl - 5:30 PM, ESPN: Georgia Southern vs Eastern Michigan
  • R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl - 9:00 PM, ESPN: Appalachian State vs Middle Tennessee State

Tuesday, 18 December

• Cheribundi Tart Boca Raton Bowl - 7:00 PM, ESPN: Northern Illinois vs Alabama-Birmingham

Wednesday, 19 December

• DXL Frisco Bowl - 8:00 PM, ESPN: Ohio vs San Diego State

Thursday, 20 December

• Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl - 8:00 PM, ESPN: South Florida vs Marshall

Friday, 21 December

• Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl - 12:30 PM, ESPN: Toledo vs Florida International
  • Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - 4:00 PM, ESPN: Western Michigan vs Brigham Young

Saturday, 22 December

• Birmingham Bowl - 12:00 PM, ESPN:
  • Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl - 3:30 PM, ESPN: Houston vs Army
  • Dollar General Bowl - 7:00 PM, ESPN: Troy vs Buffalo
  • SoFi Hawai'i Bowl - 10:30 PM, ESPN: Hawai'i vs Louisiana Tech

Wednesday, 26 December

• SERVPRO First Responder Bowl - 1:30 PM, ESPN: Boston College vs Boise State
  • QuickLane Bowl - 5:15 PM, ESPN: Georgia Tech vs Minnesota
  • Cheez-It Bowl - 9:00 PM, ESPN: California vs Texas Christian

Thursday, 27 December

• Walk-On's Independence Bowl - 1:30 PM, ESPN: Duke vs Temple
  • New Era Pinstripe Bowl - 5:15 PM, ESPN: Miami vs Wisconsin
  • Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl - 9:00 PM, ESPN: Baylor vs Vanderbilt

Friday, 28 December

• Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl - 1:30 PM, ESPN: Purdue vs Auburn
  • Camping World Bowl - 5:15 PM, ESPN: Syracuse vs West Virginia
  • Valero Alamo Bowl - 9:00 PM, ESPN: Iowa State vs Washington State

Saturday, 29 December

• Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl - 12:00 PM, ESPN: Florida vs Michigan
  • Belk Bowl - 12:00 PM, ABC: South Carolina vs Virginia
  • Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl - 1:15 PM, CBSSN: Arkansas State vs Nevada

Monday, 31 December

• Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman- 12:00 PM, ESPN: Cincinnati vs Virginia Tech
  • Hyundai Sun Bowl - 2:00 PM, CBS: Pittsburgh vs Stanford
  • Redbox Bowl - 3:00 PM, FOX: Oregon vs Michigan State
  • Autozone Liberty Bowl - 3:45 PM, ESPN: Missouri vs Oklahoma State
  • San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl - 7:00 PM, FS1: Utah vs Northwestern
  • Taxslayer Gator Bowl - 7:30 PM, ESPN: North Carolina State vs Texas A&M

Tuesday, 1 January

• Outback Bowl - 12:00 PM, ESPN2: Iowa vs Mississippi State
  • VRBO Citrus Bowl - 1:00 PM, ABC: Penn State vs Kentucky
  • PlayStation Fiesta Bowl - 1:00 PM, ESPN: Louisiana State vs Central Florida
  • Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual - 5:00 PM, ESPN: Ohio State vs Washington
  • Allstate Sugar Bowl - 8:45 PM, ESPN: Georgia vs Texas

That's a lot of bowls.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I know you guys all love to shit on ND for various reasons, but of the 4 teams to get in they didn't have the easiest path. 

While I don't think they have a shot against Alabama (this year, I don't think anyone does), they're a much different team than the one that got stomped by Alabama and they got in relatively healthy by not going balls out all season.

ND's biggest weakness this season was playing down to their competition or practically taking games off. I don't know if they beat Clemson, but I think they at least make it competitive. 

If they didn't have the easiest path, I mean...it was pretty close.  I guess it's not their fault that teams like Stanford and Florida State were way down this year, but that's just the way it is.  They basicall have the win over Michigan to hang their hat on, and that's about it.  And the way Michigan was manhandled by the only team they've played with athleticism comparable to the likes of Bama and Clemson probably tells you how well ND matches up against them.

And ND struggled to beat USC, who is a bad team with a HS QB but had a lot of great athletes that the Irish struggled to chase around for a long time in that game.

ND and Michigan are just way behind on the athleticism curve compared to the truly elite teams in CFB right now.  It doesn't really make sense why they can't get over that hump given their national reps (well, for ND it does), but nevertheless.

ND's pass rush is lethal. If they are going to win, it'll be down to them beating the fuck out of Lawrence. 

Jesus Christ, another Michigan/UF bowl game?

It's not a lack of respect for the B1G, it's that Ohio, for the second straight year, got absolutely curb stomped by a mediocre team at random. They didn't just lose to 6-6 Purdue, they got hammered by 29 points. If you turn that into a flukey upset by a field goal, they might very well be in. 

Georgia got buried by a good LSU team in a game that was still closer than Ohio/Purdue.

UCF's argument isn't as strong this year by advanced stats, nor are they the only undefeated team, and likely won't be unless Oklahoma pulls off a pair of upsets (not impossible, this Bama team isn't Saban's best defense, and Oklahoma can score on anyone) but I still would've liked to see them get a shot.

I've long been, and remain, in favor of a 16 team playoff with auto bids to all 10 conference champions and six at large bids, but that won't be happening anytime soon. But an 8 team field with the five P5 champs, a guaranteed spot for the best Group of 5 team, and two at large seems plausible now. Play round one on campus of the higher seeds.

It would be something like

Washington at Alabama

UCF at Clemson

Ohio at ND

Georgia at Oklahoma

With Michigan being the odd team out (or you could drop the auto bids and just take the top 8 which would make it UCF at Bama, Michigan at Clemson, and the other two the same)

Anyway, long windedness aside, I think the committee made the right choices even if not my preferred, and Jesus, Michigan vs Florida again?!?

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

ND and Michigan are just way behind on the athleticism curve compared to the truly elite teams in CFB right now.  It doesn't really make sense why they can't get over that hump given their national reps (well, for ND it does), but nevertheless.

It's even more baffling with Michigan because they keep getting top ten classes, putting guys in the NFL, and overwhelming other teams with what looks like elite athleticism. And then they play the Buckeyes. 

My biggest hope is UCF beats LSU and continues to mega-troll college football and the NCAA. 

Because you can already make the case that whatever the NCAA playoff system is, it doesn't involve them, no matter what anyone says to the contrary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's not a lack of respect for the B1G, it's that Ohio, for the second straight year, got absolutely curb stomped by a mediocre team at random. They didn't just lose to 6-6 Purdue, they got hammered by 29 points. If you turn that into a flukey upset by a field goal, they might very well be in. 

OSU should have had a second loss to a mediocre team at random that had to be considered too.

29 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Florida vs. Michigan again is going to make me poke my eyes out. 

Hell, Michigan is 4-0 against the Gators and I'm sick of it. They really should've gone LSU/Michigan and Florida/UCF.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

OSU should have had a second loss to a mediocre team at random that had to be considered too.

Yeah, that's getting forgotten. They gave up 51 to Maryland and should have lost. Wide open 2pt conversion that got missed. 

Hey @EVA

"

That schedule is wrong.  Georgia plays Georgia Tech OOC every year.  Scratch one of those FCS games.

Middle Tennessee was actually a pretty decent mid-major team this year, too.  Runner-up in C-USA.

You're right. When I Googled Georgia's schedule, it showed me Samford as party of the schedule but that was actually last year. Did that like four times before I realized Google was showing me multiple seasons at once and making it look like this year. 
  • Like 1