DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 GIFS THREAD

Guest Edwin

21 hours ago, El Dragon said:

You know, I wish we were back in the time where DDP was pulling Diamond Cutter's out of his ass. Better RKO.

The Diamond Cutter is on the shortlist for best finishers of all time.  The RKO is a bland rip off of the original.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The Diamond Cutter is on the shortlist for best finishers of all time.  The RKO is a bland rip off of the original.

I honestly think it's No.1. It felt like DDP could pull it out of nowhere, and not in a contrived "People jumping into awkward spots into an RKO" way. Fuck, the entire build to the Goldberg/DDP match was basically "DDP can't beat Goldberg, but the Diamond Cutter might", and it worked. It's one of the few times a move had a character in and of itself, and made you buy that just having the move in a guys arsenal elevated them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I honestly think it's No.1. It felt like DDP could pull it out of nowhere, and not in a contrived "People jumping into awkward spots into an RKO" way. Fuck, the entire build to the Goldberg/DDP match was basically "DDP can't beat Goldberg, but the Diamond Cutter might", and it worked. It's one of the few times a move had a character in and of itself, and made you buy that just having the move in a guys arsenal elevated them.

I remember when announcers were saying shit like the NWO was running computer simulations on how to escape the Diamond Cutter and even those couldn't figure it out. And then when Sting did counter it into the Death Drop I popped huge right in my own living room. Great stuff.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:22 AM, #BlueJustice said:

I mean, say what you want about silly flippy stuff, and I think that has an element of that for sure, but that camerawork elevates that to something really neat.

As somebody who dislikes the whole seven Star Athletic flipflop stuff and the celebration of it, the gif is actually THE way to use the amazing athleticism a lot of NJPW talent have. Not only does he use it to prevent the Impact of the move, both wrestlers take the time to milk it and sell the importance of the Athletic feat. Now all they have to do is NOT use it every bigger match... 

Edit: Forgot to join into the "DDPs Diamond Cutter is my favourite finisher" sentiment. Consider it done hereby. 

All of those awkward versions kind of illuminate how cool the Diamond Cutter was.  He came up with cool variations almost every week for a couple of years, and I don't remember him botching any of them.  I think the booking of DDP is better than Goldberg and the NWO as far as the best parts of WCW.  He was the sleazy looking dude with the hot wife for a few years, before he became the everyman who might not be the biggest, strongest, or toughest guy in the fight, but he has the killshot of all killshots.  He got over, because no one believed he was the best wrestler, but he developed the best move.  His character and the move were pretty much one in the same.  He made you believe in him, because he created a move that could be hit from damn near anywhere and the audience believed was instant death.  I can't think of another multiple world champion level wrestler who was booked better or more uniquely.

• Like 4

How did he get over? Was it from the time Nash and Hall gave him a t-shirt, which he accepted, and then hit the diamond cutter on Hall? Was that what lit the fuse?

And fuck the Lethal Injection, I'd straight up refuse to take or sell that move.

24 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

How did he get over? Was it from the time Nash and Hall gave him a t-shirt, which he accepted, and then hit the diamond cutter on Hall? Was that what lit the fuse?

He, and the move were already starting to get over as anti-establishment guy with a chip on his shoulder on Saturday Night(I’ve never seen the ratings, but I believe Saturday Night got better ratings than your average B show). The nWo angle, followed by the Savage match was what sealed the deal. 

Watching pre-bum DDP work with Mero makes you appreciate him more in retrospect.

10 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

And fuck the Lethal Injection, I'd straight up refuse to take or sell that move.

I think he was over by the time that happened, but that took him to a higher level.  I honestly think he got over by being perhaps the best television match worker of all time.  DDP, Rey Mysterio, and Dean Malenko are the three workers I look at as the best television workers since the death of the territories.  Rey Mysterio is an all-time great, who was revolutionary.  Malenko was a great worker, especially when working as a base for high flyers who knew exactly how and when to ground his opponent's to build up to their more spectacular high flying moves.  DDP, who was a tall, lanky, weird looking dude who was feuding with Johnny B. Badd and Dave Sullivan for what felt like 5 years, before he won the Lethal Lottery at Slamboree 1996.  After that, he started getting over by finding cool ways to hit the diamond cutter.  By the time he started feuding with the NWO, he was already getting huge pops when he'd hit a diamond cutter.  I think the Hall thing is what made people take him seriously as someone on the way to the top, and Savage is what made people think, "This guy can be the champion."

Think about how big the pops are when DDP dressed as La Parka and Dean Malenko dressed up as Ciclope.  Those dudes weren't getting much mic time, they were just dudes working their asses off week in and week out in 8-10 minute matches on Nitro.  

GroundedArtisticHornedviper-max-1mb.giftumblr_mzohdnQhbl1snhdpvo5_250.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Goodear said:

I really, really hate the Lethal Injection.  I know "Irish Whips don't work in real life" blah blah blah.  But why does the guy taking it dive on his face?

It all comes back to Irish Whips, of course. Lethal sets up the Injection by whipping them into the ropes in just the right way to make them bounce off the ropes, then stumble forward after taking a few steps.

9 hours ago, Goodear said:

I really, really hate the Lethal Injection.  I know "Irish Whips don't work in real life" blah blah blah.  But why does the guy taking it dive on his face?

To make taking the bump easier. Or was this rhetorical?

11 hours ago, Goodear said:

I hate the Lethal Injection as well, mostly because whomever is taking it has to look like an idiot waiting for it. At least, he hits it cleanly unlike Cena's springboard stunner and that WoW gif. Execution matters to me. Gorilla Monsoon's commentary instilled that in me at a young age.

I was confused. But now I figure you're not talking about Jay Lethal's move:

But probably some bad Diamond Cutter variation someone else does.