DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] DECEMBER 2018 NXT/NXT UK DISCUSSION

nofuture

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That sucks. I thought The Mighty were really hitting their stride after they returned from injury and turned heel. Hopefully, Miller returns after taking care of whatever those personal issues may be. 

From WO:

Regarding WWE departures, Nick Miller returned to Australia when his baby was born and decided to stay. The door is not shut on his returning if he chooses to. The story about Taishan Dong being one is true but that is actually from some time back. Tucker from the U.K. was also taken off the web site but we don't have any information past that.

15 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Don't tell Jim Cornette, Rip Rogers or (insert any other crusty old bitter kayfabe carny con man here) that. Back in my day we worked double-shots everyday and triple shots on Sunday. I didn't even know my kids names!

That worked out well for Jake Roberts and his daughter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

End of the day, there isn't really a single NXT tag-team who has gotten over on RAW or Smackdown so I'm not really sure what people were expecting from The Mighty in WWE. 

I think HHH is hiding Street Profits in EVOLVE for a reason.

I was just thinking about them in NXT. Main roster wise I figure they could have ended up goign either way in terms of doing nothing or lucking out and gettign a decent run.

Although Gargano and Ciampa are probably on enhanced wages, vast majority of the NXT roster are on 65K as I understand it - not terrible, better than what they were making previously one imagines, but not mindblowing.  Point is, NXT is not an end destination for wrestlers even if it puts on a compelling product.

The Mighty got hot recently due to the series with 1-2 and that's mostly because 1-2 are the best tag team along with TUE and they have proven they can have a great match with any team on the roster. Aside from that, the Mighty were average.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:22 PM, ComingToAmerica said:

End of the day, there isn't really a single NXT tag-team who has gotten over on RAW or Smackdown so I'm not really sure what people were expecting from The Mighty in WWE. 

I think HHH is hiding Street Profits in EVOLVE for a reason.

Regarding the Street Profits, I think it has more to do with Ford's potential than anything else. Dawkins is always going to be Dawkins and I could see him being a trainer at some point, but the money is with Ford. The more experience and seasoning Ford gets, the better. And right now with the Profits being on Evolve shows, the pressure to promote either or both of them or to even give Ford a singles push in NXT is off.

Dawkins is just a tag partner for Ford. Dawkins really does nothing for the guy in the long. Ford is just way too athletic and ultra charismatic to be stuck in a tag team. Everything he does with the Street Profits he could be doing as a solo act. Dawkins in that team is just the dude that's been paired with a bunch of other dudes. Ford is the guys that dances, has swagger, can talk, and stands out with the moves he does in the ring.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dawkins is just a tag partner for Ford. Dawkins really does nothing for the guy in the long. Ford is just way too athletic and ultra charismatic to be stuck in a tag team. Everything he does with the Street Profits he could be doing as a solo act. Dawkins in that team is just the dude that's been paired with a bunch of other dudes. Ford is the guys that dances, has swagger, can talk, and stands out with the moves he does in the ring.

I like Dawkins more since the team formed which is why I kind of feel bad for him.  As good as he is he's getting way overshadowed by Montez.  But history has shown that teams with different personalities can be equally as awesome if presented in the right way.  I'd love to see Dawkins try more power moves so he stands out more.  The one thing that might keep the team intact for a good while in NXT is what they're doing in Evolve.  If Montez ends up being a singles champion there (which they strongly hinted at) then that'd be a good test run without messing up any NXT plans.  That's one of the main reasons why I'll be catching up more with Evolve so I can see how this pans out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Dawkins more since the team formed which is why I kind of feel bad for him.  As good as he is he's getting way overshadowed by Montez.  But history has shown that teams with different personalities can be equally as awesome if presented in the right way.  I'd love to see Dawkins try more power moves so he stands out more.  The one thing that might keep the team intact for a good while in NXT is what they're doing in Evolve.  If Montez ends up being a singles champion there (which they strongly hinted at) then that'd be a good test run without messing up any NXT plans.  That's one of the main reasons why I'll be catching up more with Evolve so I can see how this pans out.

Same here. I think Montez Ford is the guy I'm most excited about that I think they could be a huge star. Good size, incredibly athletic, really good look, and his charisma is off the charts. I'm in no rush to see him brought up to the main roster and I hope what he's doing in Evolve and NXT pans out. HHH is big on guys having experience from multiple organizations and this is the best way to do that while still being pretty much home grown. 

• Like 1

I think Dawkins is improving fine. I sort of see what you're saying, but the idea that Montez Ford hits the main-event roster with a greenlight push is:

1) Borderline fantasy booking. Much more, much more likely he ends up shucking n jiving in the lower card.

2) Inadvisible, in that the fans may well shit all over it anyway.

Point is, I think the Street Profits go up together and they see what Dawkins does on the road - some ppl only really get their game on once they go on the main tours (see Liv Morgan). If he's all that some think he is, then they can build an organic push out of that.

48 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I think Dawkins is improving fine. I sort of see what you're saying, but the idea that Montez Ford hits the main-event roster with a greenlight push is:

1) Borderline fantasy booking. Much more, much more likely he ends up shucking n jiving in the lower card.

2) Inadvisible, in that the fans may well shit all over it anyway.

Point is, I think the Street Profits go up together and they see what Dawkins does on the road - some ppl only really get their game on once they go on the main tours (see Liv Morgan). If he's all that some think he is, then they can build an organic push out of that.

I'm very hopeful on Montez and hope things pan out for him.  I don't think people would shit all over a push unless they want to point out his relative experience.  But that's why his time in Evolve is a really good test run.  They're already pushing he has his eyes on the WWN title and I see him getting that sooner rather than later.  I haven't seen too many singles matches from him so not sure how well he'll fare.  But he has all the tools in the world, just hoping when the time comes he can piece it together so he has the incredible matches many feel he can have.

I agree it looks like the sky is the limit with Montez Ford for all those reasons...but honestly, that seems like a reason I'm not convinced he'll get the big push.

The big problem there is that: We've seen the last time we had a kind of hip-hop oriented, fun tag team running around, where there was one guy who was a mediocre WWE lifer who had a look and was just solid but not really a big star, teaming with a guy who was clearly the better in-ring worker, clearly had the charisma of the team, and just seemed like he had the star quality of the two: Cryme Tyme.

That's a big risk for Montez Ford...I could see him being a future main eventer in WWE, but I could ALSO see him being the next JTG on the main roster.

To be fair, JTG was often considered the worst worker in WWE. I think he actually got a bit better once he turned heel, but then he was just doing jobs to the Cobra anyway.

Favourite Shad moment was him taking the Big Show KO punch right out of the 'hot tag' against JeriShow.

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And here are your call ups (RAW spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Some think they are all going to RAW but that part seems a little unclear

Spoiler

Yeah, Dozovic specifically Tweeted HM were going to Raw but Tucker was more vague in his Tweet.