DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I'll bet, too, that if I asked my youngest brother - who would have been about 12 in the mid-90s and who only saw wrestling through cultural osmosis - he would remember Sid better than anyone. I think we have had that discussion. 

In my experience, the one Wrestler who non-Wrestling fans remember (from before the Attitude Era made Rocky Miavia a huge mainstream name) was Ravishing Rick Rude.

2 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I think the fact that the ECW mutant smarks went crazy for Sid just shows how much "IT" he has. 

Was I a smarky ECW fan? Absolutely. Am I a mutant? Absolutely not. Did I mark the fuck out for Sid in ECW? Absolutely.

I wish his ECW run lasted a little longer than it did. Sid was the best 911 possible. IIRC, his ECW debut was breaking up a dud between Kronus and Skull von Krush. I also remember he got a monster pop when he laid the Dudley's to waste, especially Buh Buh Ray.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quackhell said:

Sid possibly trying to call and lead a match? Yikes.

Whomever booked green Sid vs. green Bryan Clarke, plus a run-in from green Curtis Hughes deserves the lion's share of the blame. Dusty wasn't back yet, so I assume this was Ole. What a fucking mistake that was.

• Like 2

Adding onto the Sid love, definitely one of my favorites. I marked huge for the 2012 return as I hoped for years that he'd get at least one more moment. He did interviews around 2007 talking about wanting a comeback and one more WrestleMania and that he'd talked to Johnny Ace... that made Sid/Cena in 07 my dream match of the time. I wish he got to do more before and after the RAW 1000 bit or that he was a legend they used more often than they do. One of my top three most wanted HOF inductions as well.

3 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Back when I was watching a lot of early SHIMMER, it was Prazak and Allison Danger. I recall enjoying their work. 

But then, you've been talking about 2003-ish. I was watching the SHIMMER shows from around 2005-09. 

I think right after that, like 09-12 ish was the peak of SHIMMER, and most of those had Prazak with Portia Perez. I thought they were great and often times had some legit hilarious comedic banter between them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I think right after that, like 09-12 ish was the peak of SHIMMER, and most of those had Prazak with Portia Perez. I thought they were great and often times had some legit hilarious comedic banter between them.

Portia was one of my favorites in those days, and from what little I caught of her on commentary, I knew it would be good. 

My SHIMMER peak was summer 2008, when I went to the 19/20 tapings. I finally got to meet my girl MsChif, who was still the champ, and I got to take a picture with Rain (who charged me $5 to use my own camera!). The matches were great, and I never enjoyed SHIMMER more than that day.

• Like 2

The thing that strikes me about that Psycho Sid push in 1996 is that he came in as a replacement in a match for Warrior, got astronomically over in like two months, and creative actually put the gold on him, at least for a couple months to ride the wave. That was not happening when I was last watching. 

It's also pretty crazy because he was just there in 1995 in the clearly-defined role as a monster for the top faces to overcome and didn't have that much heat IIRC, and then he shows up as a face something like ten months later and everybody loves him. It was striking to me, a definite fan of Sid, at the time, and it remains so today. 

• Like 5

I'm realizing I have these blanks in my memory about Sid. I remember literally nothing from when he dropped the belt to Undertaker until he popped up in ECW.

Then I don't remember anything in WCW until Starrcade '99. I know he took time off a lot, but I also just don't remember anything in this stretches.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm realizing I have these blanks in my memory about Sid. I remember literally nothing from when he dropped the belt to Undertaker until he popped up in ECW.

Then I don't remember anything in WCW until Starrcade '99. I know he took time off a lot, but I also just don't remember anything in this stretches.

Perhaps your brain no-showed due to passport issues? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• RIPPA unfeatured and unpinned this topic