DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

42 minutes ago, Victator said:

What if they do it in mass?

We know that WWE are not trying their best. They have had a lot of over acts since 2015 they have ignored. Don't act like finding what people want is so mysterious. 

If they do it en masse, then you see a whole show in front of an empty arena and you show "we mean business. Even if it means "in front of an empty arena", because then you're saying "these fans tried to hijack our show when we paid them."

And that's the thing. It IS mysterious, because the fans want everyone, they want everyone to be stars, they want everyone to be World Champion, and when they get one, then the next person on the list is chosen and so on.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

If they do it en masse, then you see a whole show in front of an empty arena and you show "we mean business. Even if it means "in front of an empty arena", because then you're saying "these fans tried to hijack our show when we paid them."

That is hilarious. Here is a better idea, don't pay your fans. Put on good shows. If you see something your audience hates, don't do that. They were doing this in the long ago time of 2013. 

It isn't mysterious at all. Last year when they wasted six months pushing Jinder Mahal, they had an easy time bailing out. You know how they were able to bail? They put the belt on AJ Styles and kept it on him. They kept it on him most of the year because they knew who fans wanted to see him wrestle. Now you might say people did not care for the Nakamura feud, but most of the fans were happy enough because the matches were good. They did AJ vs Rusev, because they knew fans liked both of them. Then could run AJ vs Joe for months on end, because they were over. 

Now if you go in with the mentality of "How do I find someone the fans like and I love." Then you start thinking of paying fans or CGI and later bankruptcy. Since this plan does not cover losing viewers. People are not tuning out because they like Roman Reigns, but those live fans hate him. They are doing things fans hate and continue doing it. 

This is the culmination of things that started when WCW died. Various companies come along and they use the format that people hated in WCW. Instead of thinking "maybe we should try something else?", the thinking is "Oh we just aren't doing it right." 

Of things that have been successful in wrestling since 2001, listening to the fans has worked. 

Fans of most things are actually really easy to please. Just an attempt to meet them halfway will be successful if you are competent. It is until you consistently shit on people. Eventually they are going to leave. 

Shit the women's division proves this. They met fans halfway and the fans are very generous. You can see a little nay saying, but not consistent mutiny. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Hell, turn it into a women only promotion. They've been carrying the whole damn company all year anyways.

Could genuinely happen. I thin they saw what they accomplished with NXT and creating their own competition. Whether they can get a consistent full time roster together is another thing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Victator said:

That is hilarious. Here is a better idea, don't pay your fans. Put on good shows. If you see something your audience hates, don't do that. They were doing this in the long ago time of 2013. 

It isn't mysterious at all. Last year when they wasted six months pushing Jinder Mahal, they had an easy time bailing out. You know how they were able to bail? They put the belt on AJ Styles and kept it on him. They kept it on him most of the year because they knew who fans wanted to see him wrestle. Now you might say people did not care for the Nakamura feud, but most of the fans were happy enough because the matches were good. They did AJ vs Rusev, because they knew fans liked both of them. Then could run AJ vs Joe for months on end, because they were over. 

Now if you go in with the mentality of "How do I find someone the fans like and I love." Then you start thinking of paying fans or CGI and later bankruptcy. Since this plan does not cover losing viewers. People are not tuning out because they like Roman Reigns, but those live fans hate him. They are doing things fans hate and continue doing it. 

This is the culmination of things that started when WCW died. Various companies come along and they use the format that people hated in WCW. Instead of thinking "maybe we should try something else?", the thinking is "Oh we just aren't doing it right." 

Of things that have been successful in wrestling since 2001, listening to the fans has worked. 

Fans of most things are actually really easy to please. Just an attempt to meet them halfway will be successful if you are competent. It is until you consistently shit on people. Eventually they are going to leave. 

Shit the women's division proves this. They met fans halfway and the fans are very generous. You can see a little nay saying, but not consistent mutiny. 

The problem is that- the consistent mutiny happens because: Listne to the fans and meet them halfway is one thing.

But now, they want everyone. 2013 was an example. Eventually, the WWE listened to the fans on Daniel Bryan, and they listened and the fans said for months "PUSH DANIEL BRYAN! This is all we've ever wanted! Just give us Daniel Bryan and we promise that we'll give you anything, just give us this ONE THING! We never asked for anything else but Daniel Bryan!". And then, they gave them that, and the fans said "That shit was so cash." Beat. "NOW DO CESARO! This is all we ever wanted! We never asked for anyone else except Cesaro!"

That's why it fails. The fans made their choice. They love everyone. They want everyone. They want everyone to succeed. Hell, they want everyone to be the World Champion. At the same time, if possible. And eventually, they want so many people that they'll never be satisfied.

• Like 2

My usual reminders that everything things don't apply to them and will cause me to just say fuck it and burn everything down

- You do not need to reply to every post.

- You do not need to have the last word.

- There is an ignore feature.

So don't say you weren't warned when you get a timeout

I was thinking about this last night with all the new NXT callups and the injury return announcements. Assuming everyone goes to RAW (most likely 1 person will be SDL but still)

The RAW roster (per WWE.com)

MEN

1. Apollo Crews
  2. Baron Corbin
  3. Bobby Lashley
  4. Braun Strowman
  5. Bray Wyatt*
  6. Brock Lesnar
  7. Curt Hawkins
  8. Dean Ambrose
  9. Dolph Ziggler
  10. Drew McIntyre
  11. Elias
  12. Finn Balor
  13. Heath Slater
  14. Jinder Mahal
  15. Kevin Owens*
  16. Kurt Angle
  17. Mojo Rawley
  18. No Way Jose
  19. Sami Zayn*
  20. Seth Rollins
  21. Titus O'Neil
  22. Tyler Breeze
  23. Zack Ryder
  24. EC3
  25. Lars Sullivan
  26. Rhyno (website is sticking with kayfabe and saying he is retired but I am counting him)

WOMEN

1. Alexa Bliss*
  2. Alicia Fox
  3. Bayley
  4. Dana Brooke
  5. Ember Moon
  6. Liv Morgan
  7. Mickie James
  8. Natalya
  9. Nia Jax
  10. Ronda Rousey
  11. Ruby Riott
  12. Sarah Logan
  13. Sasha Banks
  14. Tamina
  15. Lacey Evans
  16. Nikki Cross

TAG TEAMS

1. AOP
  2. B-Team
  3. Roode/Gable
  4. Revival
  5. Lucha House Party
  6. Ascension
  7. Singh Brothers
  8. Heavy Machinery

* - denotes an injury where a return has been announced or they have been cleared to return. Does not include long term things like Roman Reigns, Fandango, Matt Hardy, etc...

So many fucking people. I have to imagine contracts are going to be running out soon.

I'm guessing the Bottom/Most Likely To Be Released are, in particular order:  Hawkins, N.W. Jose, Titus, Fandango, Brooke, Mojo, The Singhs, Ascension, Apollo, and maybe Slater, Tyler, Mahal, and Fox.  And maybe one "huge surprise" release (Sasha, Logan, Ziggler***).

I'm still of the opinion that Heavy Machinery and Nikki absolutely should go to SDL. 

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm guessing the Bottom/Most Likely To Be Released are, in particular order:  Hawkins, N.W. Jose, Titus, Fandango, Brooke, Mojo, The Singhs, Ascension, Apollo, and maybe Slater, Tyler, Mahal, and Fox.  And maybe one "huge surprise" release (Sasha, Logan, Ziggler***).

I'm still of the opinion that Heavy Machinery and Nikki absolutely should go to SDL. 

They don't seem so aggressive with the cuts for the last few years as they let lots of guys hang out for extended periods.  There's reasons to keep a lot of these guys around as they fit roles despite never being in line for main event status.

Titus won't be released. He probably has a job for life given how much charity work he does.

I actually don't think they'll release many people. Would they want to add more fuel to something like AEW?

I think Nikki, Lars and possibly EC3 go to SDL. Lacey and Heavy Machinery feel Raw-bound.

Sasha isn't going anywhere before they do the 4 Horsewomen story. Titus does too much charity work that WWE loves to promote. They'll transition him to a full-time ambassador. Logan is marrying a member of War Raiders this week, she's fine.  That they're getting some TV time now makes me think Breeze and Crews are OK. Heavy Machinery coming up means The Ascension can be let go. The Singhs depend on what they do with Mahal. Dana may catch on with WoW or another female-only promotion, as Lacey's call-up pushes her out the door. Alicia sticks around, she's an all-purpose talent for the women.

Mojo is interesting. He seemed to be in line for a good push a couple of times, but they went nowhere with him. He's young, can cut a promo, and has charisma. He does enough in-ring to be viable. He should be in the IC title scene and seeing if he can move up the card. He's the one person who I can see being let go and becoming a star elsewhere if that's what he wants.

And that's the key: no one who can be a major benefit to another promotion is being released. No Way Jose won't make waves, so him leaving is fine. Only fringe talent is getting a pink slip, if then.

EC3 seems made for Monday nights. To me, he just feels like he fits that show better than SmackDown. As for what they do with him, who knows. Vince has a habit of trying to break down wrestlers to either test them or build them back up. That could wind up happening to EC3 or they could just recognize how good he is on the mic and realize he can hold his own on promos. Plus, I'd be tickled with him and Drake being on the same show. Seems inevitable that those two cross paths in some way on TV.

Also, EC3 needs to be a heel. Then again, so does Bobby Roode and yet here we are.

• Like 3