DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

We would have gotten Russo writing a bit where someone threatens Dynamite Kid with a fistful of quarters though. And then a roll of quarters on a poll match. Tony Schiavone would act like it's fucking murder to use them while Larry Zybisko or someone else shits all over it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

We would have gotten Russo writing a bit where someone threatens Dynamite Kid with a fistful of quarters though. And then a roll of quarters on a poll match. Tony Schiavone would act like it's fucking murder to use them while Larry Zybasko or someone else shuts all over it.

Dynamite vs Shark in that Carson City Silver Dollar match from BATB ‘96. Amazingly, an awful match, on a pole, NOT involving Russo. 

4 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

We would have gotten Russo writing a bit where someone threatens Dynamite Kid with a fistful of quarters though. And then a roll of quarters on a poll match. Tony Schiavone would act like it's fucking murder to use them while Larry Zybasko or someone else shuts all over it.

I would enjoyed watching Russo try to pitch that.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I said the other day he needs to be on Austin's pod telling World Class stories. 

"Alright alright alright, so there I was see... at the Sportatorium, and man the Von Erich's came out and POW the dang roof blew off the place man."

McConaughey would be my drinking partner of choice if I was a celeb

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For those interested

WWE is doing something different this year with two PPVs in between Rumble and WrestleMania instead of one. For the first time in many years, they are doing a non-Mania March show, and only doing four weeks of direct Mania build instead of the usual seven or so. The Elimination Chamber PPV will be 2/17 in Houston. They are also doing a Fast Lane PPV on 3/10 in Cleveland

I rewatched Goto vs. Ishii from G1 Climax last night. I don’t know if it’s the match of the year or not, but it’s fucking amazing. 

Probably the most “strong style” match I’ve seen in quite a while. I’m not even crazy about Goto or Ishii, but it really sucked me in and I was feeling every single hit. I loved that there were only like three actual wrestling moves in the entire match, and the selling by way of no-selling. 

It might be my favorite New Japan match, even over the obvious 5 stars+ matches. I really liked ZSJ’s run in the New Japan Cup and his match with Okada, too. And the Ishii v. ZSJ Rev Pro title change Wrestlemania weekend.

What are the other hosses beating the hell out of each other matches I missed?

• Like 1

I like Ishii a ton but never cared at all for Goto.  But that was a wonderful hoss battle.  Not sure if it's my favorite as I do love the 5+* matches.  But it is a go-to recent match if I want to show a friend a good ol' hoss battle.

Goto/Ishii from the G1 is great, but it's... maybe my fourth favorite Ishii match from that tournament. Him versus ZSJ is a fun study in contrasts; and him versus both Ibushi and Omega are, to me, nearly perfect violence spectacles. (But I mean, G1 is Ishii Season. There are no wrong choices, really.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Goto/Ishii from the G1 is great, but it's... maybe my fourth favorite Ishii match from that tournament. Him versus ZSJ is a fun study in contrasts; and him versus both Ibushi and Omega are, to me, nearly perfect violence spectacles. (But I mean, G1 is Ishii Season. There are no wrong choices, really.)

There's so many matches during G1, I don't think I ever got to all (or most of them).  I was disappointed with the Omega / Ishii - I think they've had better matches before (Honestly, post title win I've been very underwhelmed by Omega).  I must have blanked on the Ibushi match. 

25 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

There's so many matches during G1, I don't think I ever got to all (or most of them).  I was disappointed with the Omega / Ishii - I think they've had better matches before (Honestly, post title win I've been very underwhelmed by Omega).  I must have blanked on the Ibushi match. 

I just thought about Ishii/Ibushi and holy fuck was that tremendous.  For the Ishii matches I saw during G1 that might be either on par or better than his Goto match.  You had Ishii being Ishii and it led to Ibushi bringing this intensity that just sucked me in.  I would definitely check out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For those interested

WWE is doing something different this year with two PPVs in between Rumble and WrestleMania instead of one. For the first time in many years, they are doing a non-Mania March show, and only doing four weeks of direct Mania build instead of the usual seven or so. The Elimination Chamber PPV will be 2/17 in Houston. They are also doing a Fast Lane PPV on 3/10 in Cleveland 

Just as they did in 2017 and 2018.. (Fastlane was 3/5/17 and 3/11/18 with Chamber in Feb)

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Then, I would have enjoyed watching Russo get floored by Dynamite.

That is where the fun is. If anyone has never heard it, they should look up the Jacques punching Dynamite story as told by Jacques. If I were in a Brewsters Millions scenario, I would get the film rights.  

• Like 2