DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

On the topic of Sid, and I want to make people feel old as fuck - I was 12 years old when Sid broke his leg during that four way match at WCW Sin. So that's about the extent of my childhood memories of Sid Vicious.

I don’t care at all for this story. Not one bit. 

I’ve still not watched the leg break match. I won’t even watch the ppv, in case I forget and accidentally see the injury happen.

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

Speaking of which, I believe it was written that Wrestlemania VII has the highest mortality rate of all WWF/WWE PPVs.

Hmm. Besides those 4, we have Monsoon, Heenan, Andre, Lord Alfred. Perfect. Kerry VE. Piper. 

Fuuuuuck 

Who else? 

16 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I don’t care at all for this story. Not one bit. 

I’ve still not watched the leg break match. I won’t even watch the ppv, in case I forget and accidentally see the injury happen.

I *think* it was edited out of the network version, but I have not double checked this. I feel like @RIPPA mentioned this at some point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I think the fact that the ECW mutant smarks went crazy for Sid just shows how much "IT" he has. 

I'll bet, too, that if I asked my youngest brother - who would have been about 12 in the mid-90s and who only saw wrestling through cultural osmosis - he would remember Sid better than anyone. I think we have had that discussion. 

People bring that bit up every so often. 911 was super over and Sid is the richest man's 911.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm realizing I have these blanks in my memory about Sid. I remember literally nothing from when he dropped the belt to Undertaker until he popped up in ECW.

That's because he literally almost did nothing.  He vanished after WM, made a brief return over the summer (I think he did two RAWs and a PPV where he has treated like a jobber) and that was it until ECW.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

That's because he literally almost did nothing.  He vanished after WM, made a brief return over the summer (I think he did two RAWs and a PPV where he has treated like a jobber) and that was it until ECW.

And really, that also is part of the problem with Sid, which I kind of had said was weird.

How Sid could be THAT OVER, THAT POPULAR with fans, and that much of a bonafide star...and yet at the same time, Sid was the type of main eventer where you knew "If this promotion brought in Sid to be a top star, that's a good sign that this promotion's seen better days." He was like wrestling's answer to Burlington Coat Factory. 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

And really, that also is part of the problem with Sid, which I kind of had said was weird.

How Sid could be THAT OVER, THAT POPULAR with fans, and that much of a bonafide star...and yet at the same time, Sid was the type of main eventer where you knew "If this promotion brought in Sid to be a top star, that's a good sign that this promotion's seen better days." He was like wrestling's answer to Burlington Coat Factory. 

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Sid starts showing up in Burlington commercials. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Wasn't the X-division match with Nash cancelled because of a Nash "™heart attack"? I could be mis-remembering. 

Nash faking a heart attack? Sounds about right. He probably borrowed Shawn's rolodex of excuses for not jobbing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Sid was over with the fans that were going to show up no matter what. 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:41 PM, Craig H said:

I can't remember if the Wyatts fighting the Shield happened before or after the big years movement moment, but that angle between the two groups where it looked like they would just stare each other down and then walk away, only to both step up into the ring to fight was fucking electric. 

Shield/Wyatt's came after Bryan broke free of the Family.

10 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude I made that picture! I posted it to a message board about championship belts back in 2006 or 2007. 

Are you sure? I remember making the same pic. I might even still have the PSD file for it. Well point is, it was something TNA should have done. God, you could write a series of books for each year TNA has been in business for things they should have done.