DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

How do we all know there weren't passport issues between the US border and Wherever He Damn Well Pleases?

Sid vs Shawn is such an underrated match because it follows Bret/Austin, but Shawn just bumps like a fucking champ for him, Sid's stuff looks super sharp, and the crowd is molten for it. I love the finish too.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've said it before, but Sid is the greatest bad wrestler ever. Like, he was really bad at actually wrestling, but he was so fucking good at being a pro wrestler.

Sid is the best example of a wrestler having the "it factor". We don't really know how to describe it, but we know when we see it. Sid is that guy.

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Better or worse than Nash?

Sid is better than Nash on every level. Eventhough Sid famously fucked up some promos, Nash is that asshole that laughs at his own jokes more than anyone else does. Sid's powerbomb also never looked as lazy as Nash's.

• Like 6

I think Nash was more capable in the ring (when he wanted to be) and was a better promo, but Sid had an aura Diesel just didn't. 

Nash was often really fucking lazy, but when he was motivated and in the ring with someone that could go, he could deliver. Hart, Taker, HBK, even Chris Sabin.

• Like 3

The big difference with Sid and Nash is:

Kevin Nash is the guy who you think is "The Guy", you decide "this guy SHOULD be The Guy", but every time you find he's not THE GUY and never will be.

Sid was always the guy where: You know he's not THE GUY...but secretly, you know you've got nothing. You know you don't have "The Guy" on your roster, and Sid's a good placeholder as the top star until someone gets momentum and can have the chance to be The Guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Nash was often really fucking lazy, but when he was motivated and in the ring with someone that could go, he could deliver. Hart, Taker, HBK, even Chris Sabin.

Just a reminder that, among many things that TNA came so close to delivering but didn't, in an alternate universe we're still discussing Nash vs. Lo Ki for the X Division title.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, nate said:

Just a reminder that, among many things that TNA came so close to delivering but didn't, in an alternate universe we're still discussing Nash vs. Lo Ki for the X Division title.

No shit. The obvious payoff is Senshi kicking the shit out of Nash, taking Shelly and DeVine's heads off when they run in, and pinning Nash clean after ten good minutes.

Instead the payoff was... Uh... A(n admittedly really funny) joke about MSG?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, AxB said:

When Sid was talking about the Paige hacked videos, he was under the impression that she'd intentionally released them herself. But he'd also clearly watched every second of footage he could find... and also clearly doesn't watch current WWE, as he didn't recognise Xavier Woods at all.

I'm fairly sure almost nobody on this site watched those videos, btw. I have a pretty good idea, because hypothetically if someone were to have watched them, and then hypothetically posted a joke that only people who had also watched them would get, they'd be able to work out who'd watched by checking their likes on that post. And if it was only like 2 or 3 people, he'd know that nobody else watched them. Hypothetically.

I love how nobody liked this... 

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Another takeaway from my delving into pre-peak IWA - there's nothing wrong with Dave Prazak on commentary. With the right wrestler in the booth he can make a mediocre card breeze right by. I say this knowing nearly nothing of his RoH work.

Back when I was watching a lot of early SHIMMER, it was Prazak and Allison Danger. I recall enjoying their work. 

But then, you've been talking about 2003-ish. I was watching the SHIMMER shows from around 2005-09. 

On 12/27/2018 at 11:03 PM, Captain Kronos said:

While watching (and enjoying) Sid vs Michaels Survivor Series ‘96, I was reading Sid’s wiki page. 

He’s been married to same woman since 1983. Pretty impressive for anyone, especially in this business. 

Anyone interacted with him? Nice guy?

Met Sid two years ago at a convention. Really nice guy to my girlfriend and I.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The big difference with Sid and Nash is:

Kevin Nash is the guy who you think is "The Guy", you decide "this guy SHOULD be The Guy", but every time you find he's not THE GUY and never will be.

Sid was always the guy where: You know he's not THE GUY...but secretly, you know you've got nothing. You know you don't have "The Guy" on your roster, and Sid's a good placeholder as the top star until someone gets momentum and can have the chance to be The Guy.

I think the fact that the ECW mutant smarks went crazy for Sid just shows how much "IT" he has. 

I'll bet, too, that if I asked my youngest brother - who would have been about 12 in the mid-90s and who only saw wrestling through cultural osmosis - he would remember Sid better than anyone. I think we have had that discussion. 

• Like 2